Melbourne Centre

Ben Longden

The Shepparton Aero Club were treated to a special evening courtesy of instructor Tristo Meddings.

The club were taken on a guided tour of the Melbourne Centre - home of the mysterious voices on the radio at Air Traffic Control.

Unfortunately, piccies could only be taken in the simulator...

And a light hearted moment from instructor Nathan...

It was a sobering experience to see the centre and realise that at one end of the room was a guy manning the Perth radar, and at another, Shepparton... and in another area, Sydney..

A trainee working with an instructor at a console identical to that used in the room next door - and at the Brisbane Centre.

The screen, and below a detail.

Guest Fred Bear

Excellent stuff mate. I have put my application in for trainee atc a few weeks ago. Would mean a move to Melbourne but for that I am more than willing. Fingers crossed (and everything else).

Guest Fred Bear
might see you there, i put one in as well

Good stuff Rob. Fingers crossed for us both;)

Does this mean we RA-Aus pilots will be given greater privileges when your on deck ;)?

Paul, just turn the radio and transponder off. Then you can do anything you want ;)

Teenie, awesome audio there. I think that guy would have had a few beverages when he got home 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif Listen to all the hetrodynes in that clip. I would hate to do ground. Bris or Melb Centre would be a much better sector.

Guest Fred Bear
i hate Melbourne, but love Brissy, so you can have melb centre, and ill do Brisbane... deal?

I love Brissy too mate but our pet rabbits are banned in QLD so it would have to be Melbourne!

ATC Application.

Well good luck, if you are fair dinkum. You will certainly have a bit to do with aeroplanes. Don't have too many fall off the screen. In your time off you can still have some real-life experiences in your aircraft . N.....

Guest Fred Bear
You will certainly have a bit to do with aeroplanes

Good stuff Nev. One would hope that's why I would want to do it 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif As I was saying out at the field today, got to be in it to win it. One will never know unless they apply and try. If I did not I would sit there down the track asking why I did not put an application in.

Air Traffic Control Career.

Darren , when I thought (in the 60's) that I had no hope of getting into airlines. I was that close to going for ATC. It is a very sophisticated job now with a distinct career path & perhaps airlines is not so attractive. I have no doubt that it is not a job for everybody and the way that the training is structured with very reflective of reality simulated situations that it will provide a serious challenge to the applicant, as it should because there is no room for error. Good luck to both of you Nev..

Guest disperse

just courious is there good money in ATC ......although i know it's not your motivation

and on that track does anyone know what kind of money a 747 pilot would be on

Guest pelorus32

Can't tell you about ATC. A QF 744 2/0 would be on around $100k and a Captain on $250k +; an F/O somewhere in between.

M