Hello all, New to flying, very new.

Guest jacob

I am 27 years old and am starting my recreational license in feb hopefully. I have always had a large interest in flying but have never made the time fo myself. I work in the mining industry at the moment and finally have the time for my self(working a 7 off 7 on roster now). I hope to carry on from my recreational license to a commercial license.My mothers partner is a recrational pilot with a Piper Commanche, this has been giving me a lot of time in the air as a passenger only though. I fly to work on commercial flights but nothing compares to being in a plane in the air doing what you want to do. I hope and sure tis forum will help and point me in the right direction.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge, I am a quick learner though. For the path I would like to follow is it going to be better for me to get my RAA or GA license?

it depends how far you want to go. If you want to fly commercial for a job well it is best to go straight GA however if you want to fly privately and for fun in Cessna's well many people have gone RAA>GA but it really depends on how far you want to go.

I am not up to speed on RAA but im sure how RAA pilots here would be happy to help out...

Chris ..... calling Chris.... CQ CQ earth to Chris :biggrin:

Guest Darren Masters

Welcome to the forums buddy. I personally went from GA to RAA why? Because I wanted to fly for fun. Basically if you only want to get up there and fly for fun you could go the RAA way. Lots of aircraft to fly too whereas if you were to fly GA the run of the mill training aircraft are PA28's, 38's C152's etc. Hope this helps.

Guest OzChris

Hi Jacob - welcome to TAA!

I am both GA and RAA. You will get lots of different and conflicting advice on this subject of 'do I take the RAA or the Direct GA route'.

I would start in RAA flying high performance Recreational Aircraft (Jabiru, Tecnam, Sportstar, etc) until I got my initial licence and then do some time in the older and (usually slower) GA training aircraft for nav training and on to CPL. There is nothing wrong with gaining some (or all) of your solo time needed for CPL (100hrs) in a high performance RAAus registered aircraft...you will certainly save money! and you will gain some great experience in low inertia, stick and rudder aircraft.

At the end of the day, it is your choice, and it needs to suit you, not others experience and opinions.

If I was to start out again, I would start out in RAAus and move onto GA after my initial license if I could do it again.