Hi from Kilcoy

Guest Dagman

Guest Dagman

Hi Folks

I just found the forum doing a Google search this morning.

I fly a Savannah Rotax 100 out of Kilcoy and have been flying for less than one year I have had several activities over the years including Ham Radio, Fishing , Speedway Short Circuit and Motocross however this flying bug has really hit hard and I look forward to every minute of it. I guess the same passion grips all of those who fly, my only gripe is not finding or catching the bug earlier in life.

Happy Flying

Ken

Ken

Welcome to the forum mate, there has been a lot of talk about those Savannah's recently. You and Chop would get on well he is a speedway commentator :)

Hmmm I don't wanna talk about motocross, I bingled a bike the other day and its still hurting !!!!

Take a look around the site you will find some great stuff here, but be careful of the Saw

Guest OzChris

Hi Ken - Welcome to TAA!

The Savannah is an awesome Recreational Aircraft...did you build it yourself?

Must perform WELL with the 100 horses!

I am looking at doing an aircraft flight review on a Savannah soon, there is a lot of interest in the aircraft.

Great to have you join in with us at TAA - we understand your 'BUG' we all have the disease here...

Welcome Ken!

Thanks for the welcome guys

I was going to build a Savannah from kit until I saw this one for sale with only 40 odd hours on the clock . It got me in the air quite a few months earlier.

What I have done recently is taken the slats off and fitted VGs it makes the plane a lot more docile especially on landing also cruise speed has gone up about 6 or 7 knots

Happy Flying

Ken

Guest Michael Coates

Hi Dagman.. did you reinforce the leading edge after taking off the slats ?? There was some talk aboutwing strength problems about 12 months ago and i think the RAA even had something in the magazine. Please ask around for more info because there are some mods you really MUST do.

Hi Michael

I did get good advice from others who have done the same thing after lots of testing before taking my slats off , I think the wing problem you are thinking of was a problem with the wing strut mounting on some of the earlier Savannahs (my strut mountings do have the recommended modification) this takes the tested MTOW to 560 kg

Happy Flying

Ken

Guest OzChris

Thanks Ken!!

That is one awesome Savannah!!

I LOVE the colours...this is the sort of aircraft I would be interested in building one day.

Guest mark5386

Ken,

Glad to see you turn up here. (new here too)

The VG's are they way to go. (One mate is flying his Savannah without slats or VG's. Gutsy move I say)

Every time out in the Savvy makes me like it more. Really happy with it and sounds like you are the same.

Regards,

Mark D

Hi mark

Taking off the slats was the best thing I did.

The other chap you mentioned is braver than me I wasn't game to fly without the Vgs although I do know others who have done a lot of testing with and without them.

Does the plane still have the same STOL characteristics without the VGs ?

Yes I do love flying the Savy Im starting to really relax now and enjoy the trip

Happy Flying

Ken

Agreed OzChris

The empty brackets look a bit ordinary

Plus the second picture is from a better angle and the doors are closed