greetings earthlings

w3stie

Hi

I've just joined. I'm earthbound at the moment but always entertain the possibility of alternatives :) I practise low flying in my Westfield clubman sports but flight has always drawn me.

I have flown light planes and gliders, but never ultralights or hang gliders. For some reason, hang gliders and trikes appeal to me as the ultimate expression of flying freedom. So I'd like to hang about here for a while.

cheers

Thanks guys. I've been trawling through the site. Wow, there's just so much stuff here. Brilliant! It's also great to see a lot of people who feel like me that it's an incredible privilege to live in the age of flight. I'll have to get back in the air soon. Hi bigglesworth, glad you like the car. Yeah, a kit plane, that could be fun :) Can you build trikes from kits?

Hi w3stie,

I built a single seat trike from a set of plans & it was pure magic to fly. Unfortunately the plans were withdrawn due to possible copyright infringement. There is a 2 seat trike available as a kit from the UK called the Huntwing. I'm not sure if there is a local agent.

Pete

Guest munch

Hey W3stie, Good to have ya here and great to have another brisbanite. My flying is also done close to the ground but on two wheels [ZZR1100]. I too am a great fan of the " 7 " but alas family comes before toys.I'd love to see the westie sometime. I'd have a PRB if I could afford it. ;)

Hi Munch

there are a fair few bike riders with clubbies. I think basically the clubbie is a four-wheel motorcycle 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif Whereabouts in brissie are you?

Iv'e been trying to work out what the car is and am guessing it must be a Westfield.

My family lived in a village called Westfield in England but I don't think there is any relationship.

Am I correct in thinking that the Westfield uses a motor bike engine and has 2 gearboxes, one for the gears and one for reverse?

Planes are safer, the roads are getting dangerous.

Ian

yes it's a Westfield. It's got a 1600 Toyota engine (4cyl, 20 valve) and Toyota T50 gearbox. With 160 HP and about 600 kg it goes real well. Yes I agree it's safer in the air, and I'd like to get back flying one day and finish my PPL. An ultralight might be the way to go I reckon ;)

Guest munch

Gidday W3stie,

I live over at Carina, just a stone throw from the gateway. I have seen some pretty wicked 7's over in the UK when I've been over there, the best one was a Dax with a 400 hp turbo cosworth driving through all 4 wheels.:devil: In more recent times the hyabusa powered westies are very quick.

Guest munch

westfields

Hey Ian,

westfields are a copy of the lotus 7 sports cars. Caterham now owns and builds an updated version of the series 3 lotus super seven but here are many copies around.

Guest Crezzi
Hi w3stie,I built a single seat trike from a set of plans & it was pure magic to fly. Unfortunately the plans were withdrawn due to possible copyright infringement. There is a 2 seat trike available as a kit from the UK called the Huntwing. I'm not sure if there is a local agent.

Pete

Was your trike a Pursuit 10 ? I used to own a Chaser - a great trike and going back into production again now that Single Seat Deregulation has been approved in the UK.

AFAIK as I know there are no Huntwing agents - you just buy the plans (and the wing of course). You could always design your own single seat trike if you were keen enough

Cheers

John