Making Dreams Come True

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Today seemed as though it would shape up perfect for flight so I made the decision to travel out to The Oaks again today after yesterdays 'no go' flying. This time I had in tow my neighbours young son Daniel who had never ever been in an aircraft before. He always hoped to have a fly in a plane and today his wish came true. What better way to initiate a young man to flight than through the Recreational side of the fence. We stalled a little as the wind was still a fairly strong Westerly. Then Uncle Fred decided to venture out into the sky for us, conduct a circuit and 'test the air'. The report when I called Fred in Jabiru 1817 on the radio was a few bumps but otherwise as smooth as silk. Young Daniel is bred as keen as they can possibly breed them and was nothing short of the common "Are we there yet" line! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif With that we asked Mr Taru for some go go juice, filled Jabiru 1817 up with about 40L of it and jumped in. Now, there is a huge difference between taking someone for a flight and taking someone with a grin literally from ear to ear for a flight. I think back to when I was 6 and still remember my first flight with my old man in a C172 and I can imagine that it was something very similar for young Daniel today. We did all of our pre flight checks such as "What are you looking at now"? reply: "Making sure the wings are on", and "What happens if the wings fall off"? and "If you threw an ant from a plane would it survive the landing"? A very good question I thought 092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif Anyway, with that and the engine run-ups it was "Are you ready mate"? "Sure am"! in Jabiru 1817 and down runway 18L under full power. We left the ground soon after as Daniel probably weighs a whole 30kg! :ah_oh: It was an instantaneous "Wow" upon leaving the ground followed by many "Wows" thereafter. Here are some pics.

Gosh, this plane is not much bigger than I am!

Now this will give me a better view of The Oaks...

Looking out to the West toward Warragamba from the pilots seat.

Young Daniel has an enormous grin as he takes his very first flight ever!

Lots of spare water around Luddenham!

Downtown St Marys with Dad waving wildly below.

Young pilot Daniel in the command seat. Notice the smile? :)

On arrival back at the field we meet up with fellow aviator Dave C who will later take his mate for a fly in Jabiru 1817.

In summary: If you can make someone's day by spending a few hours of your time doing what you already love to do you really have achieved something. I truly believe that do good unto others and good shall come back to you. The joy on this young mans face was truly amazing and something that makes what we do so worthwhile. This family has never been within the financial position to ever take flight and to watch the expression on Daniels face as we left the ground is priceless. Last I heard from his dad he was still talking about it at 2000. He says he will be telling the kids at school all about it tomorrow.:) Get out there, enjoy our freedom of flight and really make someone's day special!

Guest disperse

CHAMP Darren 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif you've just imprinted a memory and love of flying that will stay with this young fellow for the rest of his life.....

Guest David C

Mate , that's a great report . I had the pleasure of meeting this little bloke both before and after his flight with Darren . Talk about a :), ear to ear . I bet he hasn't come down to earth yet , and just think of his story to tell his mates at school today . You not only made his day , but his year I reckon . It certainly will stay with him for ever . My mate Tony enjoyed his flight too . We have flown together before , last time in a Beaver floatie I think , thats another story though .

Dave C

Guest Fred Bear

Nice alright and that's what it's all about :) Nice pic too Deskpilot. See the grin? It's that ear to ear one again!!! :big_grin: Glad you had a good time too again yesterday Dave. I thought that you would enjoy it :)

Guest Decca

You’re an absolute champ Darren. It looks like you got just as much joy from Daniel’s appreciation of the flight. What a sensational day for both of you. Well done!!!

Regards, Decca.

That is the one thing I miss with my plane. Only room for one, but i fid get to fly a Jab the other day and am un impressed. Think the Corby has spoiled me fo r normal planes.