Tail Wheel

Guest marbrody

Guest marbrody

Can any one help me with a Tail wheel solution?

I go through these little things about every 3 weeks, I need i think an inflatable one or a fairly wide softer rubber one that does not dig in to the soil.

Does anyone know who may supply a tail wheel that has good grip and vibration absortion factors.

Guest Deano

This sounds really funny... But i was a supermarket manager and had an endless supply of shopping trolly wheels.. And they were a perfect fit!! Lasted well too.

Glenn

Guest micgrace

Hi Glenn

Funny you should say that about shopping trolley wheels. A few simple aircraft plans out of the USA actually suggest the use of one as a tailwheel. (and wheelbarrow tyres for the mains, yuk!)

I'd be somewhat heisatant to use one, but they do work. Actually probably a bit stronger in reality than the certified one.

The Drifter I originally learnt in when through the things with regularity. Grass strip, mud, potholes.

Seen something in Super Cheap Auto one day (pneumatic caster wheel) that could easily be used but you wouldneed to make up a bracket first though and the thing even had needle roller bearings.

Micgrace :)

• 1 month later...
Guest marbrody

Thank you to all who came up with ideas, I did try the shopping trolley wheel but only got two flights out of it before it disinigrated.

Wayne Fisher has I think solved the problem by supplying me with a second hand strut braced drifter tail wheel, this seems very robust and i believe will do the job.

Thank you again for your input