Foxbat landing & takeoff from a Cargo Ship at sea

kgwilson

Guest Maj Millard

Well done boys, and thanks for posting !......and highlighting to the world the unique qualities of our very capable aircraft............ Maj........012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Pretty Hairy bit of flying. Wouldn't rate it as very repeatable with any degree of assurance . Assume the ship is doing 22 knots and whatever the headwind is adds to the figure but would the direction and turbulence be very predictable? Nev

• Agree 2

Without making light of the feat I would have my doubts that any insurance company was involved with the activity!

Can't lay claim to original thought though, as some of the footage of the first attempts at naval aviation had aircraft taking off from a platform on a gun turret on battleships.

From Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown's book, "Wings of the Weird & Wonderful": "Perhaps an indication of this can be given if I tell you that I landed the Storch on the aft lift of the aircraft carrier H.M.S. Triumph on 28th May 1946, and it never ran off the lift, so that the flight crew just folded its wings there and then and struck the aircraft down into the hangar without moving it an inch".

Cheyenne, you obviously have more confidence in the regulatory powers of CASA than a few of us have observed. About a decade ago an intrepid Ag Operator performed a feat at Jandakot for which CASA have been unable to land a significant blow!

I like a bit of 'Daring Do', and the testing of one's skills, but I could see that going horribly wrong very quickly.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Any ideas of type of aircraft landing on grass field after the foxbat?

And some luck...

Well, kinda.

Look at how many times they tried before actually landing.

Sure "dangerous" but they did a few "trails" first - or where they "Missed approaches"?

I was surprised how low he was going in though.

Me: I would have gone in higher. But that's me.

WRT the takeoff. I wonder why they were holding him back so hard? The plane would have breaks, and watching how fast it got off the deck, it wasn't that critical to get off the deck.

Someone said the boat/ship would be doing 22 knots..... I'm just wondering: Really? 22 kts is pretty fast from what I know.