Finally met the Maj Millard

alf jessup

Well all forumites I finally had the pleasure to meet Maj Millard in person a couple of days ago while transiting through Townsville on my National Lampoons Vacation with the wife and the hired motorhome travelling from Cairns to Brizvegas.

Was an absolute pleasure to stop in and put a face to a name and thanks Maj for the cuppa and biscuits as the wife & I really appreciated your hospitality, also sorry we couldn't spend more time with you but as we were travelling with another couple in another camper we had a schedule to stick too.

Look forward to catching up with you again sometime but next time I will bring the Tecnam along.

Take care buddy and fly safe.

Alf1218078173_RossAlf.jpg.a806cc8d038a717f792584e5bd9bfbd4.jpg

• Like 5

He's a mean lookin little sucker eh whot? But I reckon we'll have buy him a steam iron before they let him into the high echelons of Canberra's elite society circles.004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Caution 1

Guest Maj Millard

My pleasure also Alf...not at all as I had imagined you would be, kinda had you figured as older and greyer. But no.....younger and more spritely, hanging around with a good looking woman, and a bloody ex-trike pilot to boot !... Whats not to like !....You could have mentioned that I was still very much recovering from a huge night on the Scotch with our forumites CorvairK and his wife !...Safe travels home to you and your friends, and I really would like a ride in that Seirra sometime.............Maj....012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

My pleasure also Alf...not at all as I had imagined you would be, kinda had you figured as older and greyer. But no.....younger and more spritely, hanging around with a good looking woman, and a bloody ex-trike pilot to boot !... Whats not to like !....You could have mentioned that I was still very much recovering from a huge night on the Scotch with our forumites CorvairK and his wife !...Safe travels home to you and your friends, and I really would like a ride in that Seirra sometime.............Maj....012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yep Maj,

Sharon is a good looking woman even with my fading eyes as I head past 50, plenty of grey hair starting to show and ex trike pilot "yep and proud of it".

All, BTW Maj had a big night before we met him and I cannot understand how the iron wouldn't work lol. (but then again the iron at my home doesn't work either, not sure if Sharon knows what the electrical cord is for on it)

A ride in the Sierra, that is a given mate no problems there my friend anytime, I might even stretch it's legs up your way if the clouds ever get off those hills.

Kaz,

Getting closer to Brizvegas which will be the end of our journey on Saturday then commercial to Melbourne, at 1770 now (awesome place) and heading to Coolum or Maroochydore for the final days tomorrow.

Loving every minute of it, great motorhome and great company and I could actually get used to it other than I would miss flying my plane.

Alf

1770Alf did you find out how they got this name? Cook didn't land there did he?

Old Koreelah,

Apparently he did land here going by the operator/ tour guide on the LARC amphibious boat we travelled on today.

Apparently in the year 1770

Alf

Thanks for that, Alf. My respect for the courage of Cook and his like got a big boost a few years ago when I saw a memorable sight. I was flying north from Albion Park towards Victor One. The air coming in off the Pacific was perfectly smooth, so it was hands-free most of the way. From 1500' above Royal National Park the ocean was empty, until far out at sea we saw a square rigger in full sail heading for Sydney Harbour. It had to be either the Endeavour or Bounty replica.

I suddenly had insight into how small was Cook's ship, tiny and alone in a vast ocean, years from home. No rescue beacons, no charts, nobody to bail them out. What gutsy people they were!

• Agree 4

Not only was Cooks ship small, but it wouldn't go to windward like modern sailing boats. With no charts he was a very gutsy and competent skipper. I couldn't contemplate sailing his boat along the Barrier Reef

Mr Millard was kind enough to take me for a jaunt in his Lightwing a week or so back and it was a great 'spin around the blocks' and overview of the area. I can confirm that not only is he a wealth of information but also a really nice bloke! Good onya, Ross.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 2
  • Agree 3