CASA Blurb and Top 10 Ramp Check Deficiencies

DrZoos

I received today in the mail a booklet from CASA about aviation Safety.. Its pretty much a self promotion about CASA and how wonderful they are, how much the listen etc etc etc

But of interest was a section on the top 10 identified deficiencies for ramp checks and i thought some might be interested...

1. Not carrying current licences and medical cert not current

2. No navigation / fuel log

3. Have not accessed weather / Notam

4. Do not comply with flight time limitations

5. Charts not carried or not current

6. EFB if used not appropriate

7. Maint releases not in order

8.Flight manual / checklist not up to date

9. No evidence of weight and balance

10. Required serviceable, accessible emergency equipment not on board

• Like 1

Is carrying a flight manual mandatory in RA aircraft?If the manufacturer provided none?

If flying a 19-reg aircraft of your own design? Experimental?

Just how much paperwork has to be carried in a rag and tube open aircraft?

Just tell them when you took off it was beside you....

I (one) roll of soft tissue should be enough. Once it equals the weight of the plane you just about have it, otherwise. You need the planes card ( current) your current RAAus certificate. W&B calcs. This can be very simple but needed officially. There is no maintenance release (yet) GA must carry current medical. Usual weather and planning stuff for us too. Nev

I wouldn't normally doubt you, but I always believed otherwise. I can't recall when I didn't have one. It's related to all your performance and trim and power settings. The last thing to come on board is the load sheet correction.. Nev

My comment related to private ops not associated with an AOC. Likewise:

4. Do not comply with flight time limitations (- unless flying commercially otherwise)

6. EFB if used not appropriate

If there is no rule or a rule is not applicable to "our"operations then there is no legal requirement - beyond that we may discuss recommendations.

By being required to operate within the design parameters, a demonstration of compliance on a ramp check would be a reasonable request to be documented or explained. Some aircraft cannot be loaded outside the balance limits while they comply with weight limitations, but other aircraft such as a drifter require a minimum weight for front seat, as an example. The operating pilot should be able to demonstrate this required knowledge to safely operate the aircraft relating to balance. Nev

• Agree 1

I suspect they must login to the backend of NAIPS and can see when you have accessed it. How else do they know you havent accessed it. And when you do go in the report says who it is served to. .... Because if they asked me or anyone else had they accessed it and they forgot, im sure they would say yes. And when they say what did it say..... Sorry sir your investigation has stressed me to the point I have short term memory loss......a bit like Alan Bond and others

I think you are on the ball there Greybeard. It is about airmanship. Do the preparation and planning ant the outcome will be much better. Ramp checks can be a bit academic depending on the practical approach of the persons involved. With people of substance and experience you should get on well. If you encounter someone who is just pedantic, it is a bad day.. Nev

+ 1 for the no W+B required in the AC. Cant honestly think of once Ive taken it although it has been done for most flights, cant say all tho, if ive known Im flying the same AC with the same weights ive left it

• Agree 1