Tiger Moth Crashes into ocean off Sth.Stradbrook Island. Qld.

Two people are feared dead after a Tiger Moth plane crashed into the sea off Queensland's South Stradbroke Island. The crash has left a trail of debris and fuel in the water and at least four choppers are searching for any signs of survivors.

The plane crashed into the water about 300 metres off the island, at about 12.30pm (AEST) on Monday.

The two-seater plane is owned by Gold Coast-based operator Tiger Moth Joy Rides, which offers scenic flights and aerobatic flights including barrel rolls, loop the loops and other manoeuvres.

Spokesman Jeff Stillman told AAP that the company was still trying to work what had happened.

"We're not real good mate, look we don't have the information as yet, we don't really now what's going on," he told AAP.

"We're all very worried about all the occupants of the plane."

Water police are also heading to the scene to assist the air search.

Not looking good at this stage, but hope they managed to survive the ordeal.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand our media's inconsistencies. An aircraft executes a perfect landing after an engine failure, and it has "crashed". This one "ditches", and is in small fragments, even after they were told it hit the water at high speed, which a tiger would certainly not be if it were "ditching" . A small thing, I know, but hearing that it ditched, gives hope of survival.

• Caution 1

Reporters are not knowledgeable about aviation terminology. I think the print media are under stress these days.

. Need a few good eyewitness reports to understand what happened with things like this otherwise you have little to go on. Always sad when an occasion that should be a fun event goes bad. I always regarded the DH 82 as a very safe plane with plenty of strength to do this sort of thing.. Nev

LOL, Yeah. Well I might not be as strong, but there is no match for old age and treachery . Properly maintained an old DH 82 is probably as strong or even stronger than the original frame. Hit the water at speed and the strength is of little relevance.

Bloody sad to lose folks in that manner.

• Agree 1

There was another one they blamed on the pilot where there was a control (rudder) failure. You may recall. I'm not suggesting any commonality, but I don't like the pilots copping it when they are not around to defend themselves Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Did a full-on aero ride one afternoon with Tigermoth Pete at Shute Harbor . Must admit I was quite impressed with what the old Tiger could do in the right hands. Did give me a lot of respect at the time for the aircraft and its structure...........Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif