King Air crash, Iceland drag strip

TF-MYX Beechcraft Super King Air 200, Air Ambulance from Air Myflug crashes on a dragstrip during qualifying before a race in Iceland.

3 persons onboard,Captain and Medic killed, Co-Pilot survives with minor injuries. No injuries on the ground.

Investigation is still active, plane was fully functional and well maintained.

This was not an emergency landing. Co-Pilot has not commented publicly but it is known that he made remarks to the Captain about the dangerous flying.

Captain had requested a go around moments before landing at an airport close by and flew dangerously fast and low heading to dragstrip according to witnesses and crashed. Captain had close connections to the club running the dragstrip.

This is the Co-Pilot's second plane accident, excactly 12 years prior to the crash he had an emergency landing where the medic that died treated him for minor injuries.

Recording released January 6, 2014

My emphasis added above. I've said it before in previous threads on this forum - when you get blasé about doing beatups, or you do them without really knowing what you're doing, or at inappropriate times and places, or without briefings and authorisations, the clock of life starts ticking down rather more quickly than it should and you risk killing someone in the process. But still there are people out there who won't even give this a second thought.

• Agree 4

Or do beat ups - with the appropriate licences, training, dispensation by relevant authority, plan, and in something other than an air ambulance, which might be needed for a more important cause than personal entertainment and thrill seeking 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

I feel for the medic. The co-pilot had the training, ability, and even authority (and responsibility, although acknowledging that it is very difficult to overrule the boss) to do something to prevent the crash, but the poor medic was along for the ride.

How the hell is that survivable.

I have been trying to work that out myself and not come up with an answer at all. The impact was at a shallow angle but the speed looked to be 300 kts or more how anyone could get out of that with only minor injuries I can't imagine it would have to be the most amazing event ever or it has been reported wrong.

A fake?That would be pretty impressive given that the accident occurred in August last year and is under formal investigation by the Air Accident Investigation Board of Iceland (Rannsóknarnefndar flugslysa)!

http://ww2.rnf.is/frettir/nr/265

Translated that but could not see what you mean maybe I missed something. The co-pilot surviving with minor injures made me doubt the story and check the footage. The aircraft flew the whole clip left wing well down but was travelling to the right what pilot would do that? The aircraft is travelling from left of the drag strip to to the impact point on the right hand side, on impact the wreckage appears to stop forward movement and move to the left rather than continue on its original path. Just before the end of the footage the fire appears to have gone out. The noise did not sound like a turbo-prop to me