How can you tell if an engine has been inhibited?

Guest rocketdriver

Guest rocketdriver

Moorabbin aviation Mueum has a total of 5 Gypsy Queen series 30 mk2 engines, 4 of which are said to have come off the Heron Prototype and to have been overhauled and inhibited. Having been asked to see if we can get one to a ground running state, how can I tell if it has been inhibited? We have no paperwork!!

Even so, will the engine need a full strip?? Opinions, (offers of help) and INFORMATION gratefully recieved!

cheers!

Guest Maj Millard

Inhibiting oil often will smell and look different to normal engine lubricating oil. It should have a clear and unused look, and possibly be of a lighter viscosity to a normal engine oil. Remove the spark plugs and either with a bore scope, or a bright torch ascertain if there is oil coating the bore surface. Proper inhibiting oil should stay attached , or at least coat the bore walls. If you drain it , it will be less in quantity then the normal oil capacity generally also............Maj....

The stuff that Camit use is blue & quite viscous. It sticks to vertical surfaces well, a bit like chain oil. When I took the carb off to install the probe it was even present in the thoat & dripped on to the floor so they must stick it everywhere.

I think the process has to be refreshed if the time is extended. There should be hygroscopic plugs in the plug holes, (one each cylinder) which change colour when they are not working .Have a look in each cylinder with a boroscope. If it looks good there should be no reason to not turn it, but I would pressurise the oil galleries first and remove the valve covers and put the correct oil there and do the clearances and check all valves free. Pistons sitting in the same place for a long time may not want to start moving too easy at first. If you have any doubt, pull the worst looking cylinder off and inspect it's condition for a general indication of what the rest are like. Nev

It was common to attach a label to oil filler cap saying eng inhibited and oil to be changed prior to eng run. Also log book if available should have details.

Guest rocketdriver

:clap:and 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif to everyone to date ....Thanks to your contributions, I am coming to know the sort of thing to look for when I get to finally access the engines (they are locked away at the moment in a shed for which no one has a key!). Hopefully next week (too HOT this week!) .... cheers Martin

The stuff that Camit use is blue & quite viscous. It sticks to vertical surfaces well, a bit like chain oil. When I took the carb off to install the probe it was even present in the thoat & dripped on to the floor so they must stick it everywhere.

Sound a bit like air cleaner element oil.