Casa ramp checks for raa explained on casa site

DrZoos

Hmmm. Can anybody tell me whether following a moving map in VMC would satisfy CAR 78? A formal record on a standard flight plan form, of where you were on your planned track, at what time, is no great hassle for a point-to-point flight in a conventional aircraft; but it doesn't make much sense for a touring motor-glider, which wanders from the straight-line track according to the available lift. Nothing about fuel logs here; anybody know where that is, in the regs? It doesn't make much sense for a touring motor-glider, either.

78 Navigation logs

(1)The pilot in command of an aircraft shall keep a log of such navigational data as is required to enable him or her to determine the geographical position of the aircraft at any time while the aircraft is in flight.

Penalty: 10 penalty units.

(1A) An offence against subregulation (1) is an offence of strict liability.

Note: For strict liability, see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code.

(2)The log shall be kept in chronological order . . .

logically, is it necessesary? my maintenance records of engine and airframe are combined. my logbook is sepparate my paper licence is separate, my medical is separate my insurance is separate. just leave us all alone and check valid ID and aircraft reg and serviceability and look us up if they are unsure. a PLB is a crock of wank. another device that we require within the nanny state we live.

Nick, Aren't you wanting to convert your UK licence over to RAAus/HGFA? I would suggest you don't get off side with those who may be doing the conversion for you.

Nick, Aren't you wanting to convert your UK licence over to RAAus/HGFA? I would suggest you don't get off side with those who may be doing the conversion for you.

Good Tip, however if i happened to meet someone that petty that can't handle another persons thoughts i would just go to someone else.

Ive been reading CAO's for days', so many unnessesary rules with contradictory sub clauses. Maybe CASA rule makers get bonuses based on how many rules and sub clauses they submit...

Maybe its just the frustrated AME in me that wants clear concise information in one place.

Hmmm. Can anybody tell me whether following a moving map in VMC would satisfy CAR 78? A formal record on a standard flight plan form, of where you were on your planned track, at what time, is no great hassle for a point-to-point flight in a conventional aircraft; but it doesn't make much sense for a touring motor-glider, which wanders from the straight-line track according to the available lift. Nothing about fuel logs here; anybody know where that is, in the regs? It doesn't make much sense for a touring motor-glider, either.78 Navigation logs

(1)The pilot in command of an aircraft shall keep a log of such navigational data as is required to enable him or her to determine the geographical position of the aircraft at any time while the aircraft is in flight.

Penalty: 10 penalty units.

(1A) An offence against subregulation (1) is an offence of strict liability.

Note: For strict liability, see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code.

(2)The log shall be kept in chronological order . . .

Haven't got a clue, Dafydd, but maybe we have become a "nanny state". Were sailpanes ever required to have a flight plan? What happened to "just going for a fly"?

• Agree 1

Haven't got a clue, Dafydd, but maybe we have become a "nanny state". Were sailpanes ever required to have a flight plan? What happened to "just going for a fly"?

Mostly, they operate within 50 NM of the club site, so the question does not arise. And with pure sailplanes, of course, there isn't any fuel. However, the "touring motorglider" category can be used to travel - they'll mostly manage about 85 to 90 kts TAS - so it could be argued (by some of the twits we have currently enforcing rules) that a rule to keep a log of fuel usage might apply to them - so I'd like to find whether such a rule exists; I assume it must or the requirement would not be there in the ramp check. However, logging fuel usage seems pretty pointless in something that likely spends at least half its time with the engine turned off. I want to be ready when some silly bugger asks me that question.

Hmmm. Can anybody tell me whether following a moving map in VMC would satisfy CAR 78? .....

The log has to be retained and the time element is mentioned i.e. at the logged time the position is logged. Regs go on to talk about retention of the log so two thoughts

- if your log is your moving map then you need to be able to regurgitate time history of position - if you need a log

- you need a log to determine position of the aircraft "at any time" - doing, for example, circuits at home airfield it is hard to get lost so nil log is required, is it not?

Nothing about fuel logs here; anybody know where that is, in the regs?

The CASA guide quotes the ref for the regs .. but there is no requirement to log fuel - definitely a good idea if you need fuel to get to where you are going.

CAR 234 says:

234 Fuel requirements

(1) The pilot in command of an aircraft must not commence a flight within Australian territory, or to or from Australian

territory, if he or she has not taken reasonable steps to ensure that the aircraft carries sufficient fuel and oil to enable the

proposed flight to be undertaken in safety.

Penalty: 50 penalty units.

(2) An operator of an aircraft must take reasonable steps to ensure that an aircraft does not commence a flight as part of the

operator’s operations if the aircraft is not carrying sufficient fuel and oil to enable the proposed flight to be undertaken in

safety.

Penalty: 50 penalty units.

(3) For the purposes of these regulations, in determining whether fuel and oil carried on an aircraft in respect of a particular

flight was sufficient within the meaning of subregulations (1) and (2), a court must, in addition to any other matters, take into

account the following matters:

(a) the distance to be travelled by the aircraft on the flight to reach the proposed destination;

(b) the meteorological conditions in which the aircraft is, or may be required, to fly;

© the possibility of:

(i) a forced diversion to an alternative aerodrome; and

(ii) a delay pending landing clearance; and

(iii) air traffic control re-routing the flight after commencement of the flight; and

(iv) a loss of pressurisation in the aircraft; and

(v) where the aircraft is a multi-engined aircraft — an engine failure;

(d) any guidelines issued from time to time by CASA for the purposes of this regulation.

(4) An offence against subregulation (1) or (2) is an offence of strict liability.

Note For strict liability, see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code.

Obviously, one should plan a normal cross-country flight so you have sufficient fuel to get there, taking into account forecast winds etc. You would do that anyway, in a touring motorglider; the availability of lift along the way should result in using less fuel that you planned. However, I think the thing that would make a nonsense of a fuel usage log in a motor glider is that like any glider, it is designed to be capable of "outlanding". There's a reference in the regulations to this, that makes an outlanding in a glider not a reportable incident - i.e. it's normal practice.

The log has to be retained and the time element is mentioned i.e. at the logged time the position is logged. Regs go on to talk about retention of the log so two thoughts- if your log is your moving map then you need to be able to regurgitate time history of position - if you need a log

- you need a log to determine position of the aircraft "at any time" - doing, for example, circuits at home airfield it is hard to get lost so nil log is required, is it not?

The CASA guide quotes the ref for the regs .. but there is no requirement to log fuel - definitely a good idea if you need fuel to get to where you are going.

Ta - but not quite what I meant. CAR 78 requires one to keep a navigation log so the pilot always knows where he is. If you are flying in VMC and map-reading, whether from paper maps or from a GPS moving map, then you always know where you are - so in effect it should be an alternative means of compliance.