Hello from Sunny QLD

hairyaardvark

Hello Sue. Thank you for your welcome. My last flight was in a Skyfox Gazelle about 8 years ago when I had a GFPT and was licensed to fly solo. The Drifter is much different. I was lucky that I got a ride in a drifter about 6 months as a passenger and experienced some of the control differences. Most notable was the fact the nose dropped under power whereas in the Gazelle the nose lifted when the throttle was increased. I put this down to the engine on the Drifter being at the rear and on the Gazelle it is at the front (a pusher rather than a puller??). I would call my first flight a little unnerving to say the least. Unfortunately I was too busy trying to fly the aircraft with my right hand and control the throttle with my left to enjoy the ride. I have never flown with my right hand. I can see I have much to learn before I think I will sit back and enjoy the experience. My friends asked me if I looked down at all. Never thought of this. Only looked forward and to the sides. I think looking down might have unnerved me even more! I would be interested to hear from other Drifter pilots that learnt to fly in aircraft where the engine was at the front and then moved to the Drifter without any lessons. I certainly had a stiff drink last night! Regards Richard

Hi Richard

My first in a Drifter was with a cowboy who took me down low chasing the roos, clipping the tree tops 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif He was also a Commercial pilot and ended up losing his licence and all for pushing the envelope too far and too often in GA.

Next was with a friend trying to perfect his spot landing technique. I was watching the ground and dropping a little chalk dust where the wheels touched, so he could get confident & judge distances etc. Great fun. Wait till it all becomes second nature and then you will enjoy the ride.

016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Always good to have experience in other "types" My regret is never actually having flown a Drifter.

Sue

Hello Richard

There one or two drifter driver about major Millard on this forum was a keen drifter pilot now flys a lightwing . Where do u bass your craft .

I fly from lakeside Bloomsbury .

Not to sunny here at the moment bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

Hi Doug. The aircraft is hangared near Kuttabul. I should mention that previously with the Gazelle I operated out of Mackay airport with its lovely airstrip. Now on a grass strip that slopes and is nothing like I have ever experienced. Regards Richard

I went from the Gazelle to the Drifter also. Prior to that, cessnas. This becomes one of those shark versus lion discussions. (The winner is determined by the location of the fight)

Just enjoy each aircraft for what it is rather than trying to come up with a leader board. Left versus right hand isn't a problem any more than low wing versus high wing.

Notably ... And the drifter drivers here will back me up on this ... If you fly the drifter well and safely you will be a better Gazelle pilot should you wish to visit there again

Thanks for the information. I am going to fit more instrumentation to my Drifter. Notably a turn and bank indicator. Probably go for the new age digital gyro types that seem to start around US$200. I don't think on my first flight I paid enough attention to my air speed. The drifter pilot I went with six months ago said he barely uses the ailerons, seeming to prefer to use the rudder for manoeuvring and turns. What do other drifter pilots think of little aileron and more rudder use? Is wing stall more likely in a Drifter than other aircraft? My first flight was marred by one climbing turn during the flight that seemed to get steeper and steeper to a worrying stage. I applied opposite rudder and I believe I centred the stick with a forward attitude - I think this corrected an otherwise uncomfortable situation. Once again I think the higher nose attitude led me to believe that my issue was not stall related but in hind sight I am not so sure - I was not paying enough attention to the airspeed. A friend seems to think I needed more power in the turn. The manual states 60 knots for manoeuvring. I don't believe I was doing sixty knots. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated 048_surrender.gif.737a6283dfb1349140cc8b959302f540.gif. Richard

Gday Richard, how ya going mate. I'm a mackay lad myself, I've got a ch601 at palmyra dragway, and I also fly a savannah (rented) out of there. Where abouts at kuttabul is your strip? My parents live in Kuttabul and I grew up there.

Welcome to the forum.

The Drifter pilots' operating handbook (POH) I have read is a reasonable place to start. Rather than point to a specific speed versus angle range (e.g. so many knots at such a bank angle for so much mass) it may be handy to consult with an instructor with time on the the type then both of you together go see what happens when you over bake a turn ... At a safe altitude with plenty of time to recover.

The wire braced drifter I use gives a very definite mush at full power as the stall is approached, followed by a stall buffet that can be felt and seen as the wing tips start to oscillate. This is common behaviour for many types and a reason why a stall warning device is not always fitted. If the pilot persists or ignores these indications, a horn or light isn't going to change what happens next.

As far as extra gauges are concerned, it is my opinion that this is not in the spirit of the genre. Temperature gauge, compass, clock, look outside for attitude and bank angle. Of course every aircraft has air speed and altitude indications these days. Why that is, a topic for another time.

Caveat. I am not an instructor, follow your flight training and don't blame me for dud advice

• Agree 2

Hi Richard

We live just north of you, about 20k south of proserpine. I have a drifter that I am putting floats on and a savannah.

Where is the strip at kuttabul? send us the coordinates and we will drop in on you when the rain stops.

You do use lots of aileron with the drifter, and rudder. Dont need a turn and bank gauge, just a bit of wool stuck in the centre of the windscreen, keep it vertical and you will have a coordinated turn.

If you need any help with the drifter give a call.

Welcome to the wonderful world of drifter flying.

Cheers Ian.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Thank you all for your most welcome suggestions! I think first flight with a 10 knot cross wind (yeah ok that's lame) may not have been such a good idea. Maybe I am over analysing the flight. I look forward to sharing the sky with you all. On another point, it seems drifter bits, other than engine parts have all but dried up. Does this mean a nail in the drifter coffin? Where does one by new canvas and other custom items for the aircraft? I read entries on spectrum aviation and the terrific job the owner did promoting private aviation before his death. Does this mean we now beg parts from the US and Maxair etc? Regards and in the dark, Richard

I am going to fit more instrumentation to my Drifter. Richard

Hello Richard! 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif. Fit more instruments by all means but to fly the Drifter well and to it`s full capabilities, it`s not instruments that are needed, it`s an understanding of what the aircraft can do and the knowledge of how to make the aircraft do it.

The drifter pilot I went with six months ago said he barely uses the ailerons, seeming to prefer to use the rudder for manoeuvring and turns. What do other drifter pilots think of little aileron and more rudder use? Richard

There is no specific answer to your question. It depends entirely on the particular manoeuver and turn being done. It`s a case of coordinating all the controlls in the required manner to acheive the desired result.

Is wing stall more likely in a Drifter than other aircraft? Richard

An aircraft stalls when the critical angle of atack has been exceeded. Why would a Drifter be any different?.

A friend seems to think I needed more power in the turn. Richard

The power required in a turn is directly proportional to the turn being done.

Frank.

• 3 weeks later...