Need advice on Avionics

Admin

Hi All

I have to spec my new CT and I have a choice between only two different avionic setups and can't decide which way to go. I have looked at the specs of each one - the output watts, the features etc but that didn't really help as there are pros and cons of both.

So can I please call on you guys to offer your advice and the reasons why on which way you would go between:

Becker AR 4201 & Becker BXP6401-2-(01) Mode S (http://www.becker-avionics.com/)

Garmin SL 40 COM & Transponder GTX 327 Mode C (http://www.garmin.com/aviation/products.html#panel-mount)

Thanks for your help smiley4.gif

Ian

I can't comment on performance variables between your available choices, but I will comment that the 57 mm dia faces of the modern radios and transponders make a neat and space saving contribution to the (generally) smaller than GA panels in our classes of aircraft.

And from the checks I have made in preparation for my own purchases of these items, there don't appear to be any real performance or reliabilitytradeoffs to get these 57 mm dia smaller and lighter units.

Not much help, but that is my 6 peneth worth (5 cents tothe young Whipper Snippers who read this).

Regards Geoff

Guest Guest

Hi Ian

FWIW - From my experience you have picked 2 excellent radios, performance and quality wise. The Garmin SL40 (was Apollo)radio has 1 feature that , in my mind puts it in the lead, and that isit can monitor the standby frequency as well as the active so in effect you have 2 radio receivers for the price of 1. Also the SL40 has a bit more power and 24 months warranty. Although the Becker is a very good unit the controls are a bit small for some in turbulence and the brand is not promoted or supported much in OZ.

Transponders are another issue - no one seems to be able to give a definitive answer on the timing (read implementation) of ADSB for GA or exactly whichoption Airservices will go for so I've been using the GTX 327 and don't consider mode S, at this stage, to be warranted price wise as it could bemany years before it's an issue for us. Hope this helps and that we get some answers re ADSB.

jake

Thanks Jake/Capt

I liked the Beckers because of the weight, the ADSB ready and more memories but I liked the Garmin because of the standby freq monitor, the slightly extra power output and the integrated intercom.

I think ADSB is not going to be required for a good 5 years plus the theory is that upgrades will be paid for by the Gov't 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Anyone else?

Guest micgrace
I think ADSB is not going to be required for a good 5 years plus the theory is that upgrades will be paid for by the Gov't 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hi Ian

I don't suppose you believe that any more than I do, the theory that is. I got my little slip of paper from CASA on the subject a month or 2 ago I guess we'll all be paying for it soon.

Micgracesmiley1.gif

Guest Fred Bear

I'm hearing less than average reports of the Becker from new Jabiru owners who have had them fitted since the Microair - Jabiru split recently.

Garmin are an excellent product. The transponder in particular is large and easy to read and use.

TSO'ed is good too; in theory it should be good quality and fairly robust. 8 watts is pretty handy too.

Considering that there are now many aircraft out there using and testing ADSB, it might be closer than you think.

Hi Jake

It's great to see you found this Forum. The Garmin SL40 was chosen for our Fly Synthesis Texan TC for the reasons you have stated. It is interesting that Tony alsopicked the Garmin GTX 327 Transponder after he did a lot of research. I am aware that you were well informed about the ADSB. Do you have any more information on this?

Regards

Ed Ed Herring

Guest Guest

Ed

I'm very busy for the next 2 days - will give some further insight with this topic on the weekend. I flew the very first ADSB style unit in Canberra back in 2000.Some time after that a certain avionics manufacturerdeclined to tender to supply 10,000 units which were specifically for Australia only (not compatible with any other system in the world) more later .......

jakesmiley4.gif

Ed Herring

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

ADSB- this is an extract of an news item that Ian has posted, it would appear ADSB is dead in the water for our end of aviation for quite some time.

"A spokesman for Airservices yesterday denied the decision to replace the radars was related to the corporation's backdown on controversial plans to introduce Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcasting in low-level airspace.

The backflip angered avionics companies bidding to develop and supply equipment for the radar replacement system and left out of pocket after its enthusiastic endorsement by Airservices.

The air-traffic controller told the companies last week it was no longer seeking proposals on the development of a low-level version of ADS-B, which uses the global positioning system and aircraft avionics to automatically broadcast information about a plane. It was unable to say how long the system would be delayed. Australia would continue to roll out an upper-level system, which would be used by airlines flying above 30,000 feet."

jakesmiley3.gif

ADSB for ultralights? Forget it! Lets have our own. ADS-VFR

ADSB is in the Gigahertz range - high frequency - line of site. Cellular phone stuff. Even if it is free, the regular certification would put it out of our $ range.

How about our own? ADS-VFR for us?

You heard the astronaughts in their communications where there was a beep whenever the talker let go the transmit button instead of saying "OVER" ? What if the beep was replaced by a burst of code containing position, direction, and height? The audio (yes, just AUDIO ) would be less than a one second burst containing this valuable information.

An average hobbyist could program a chip to carry out the computation in the intercom unit. All a developer needs is a standard to make it worthwhile. It would be quite feasible, technically to have some info pop up on a small text display, showing the range, direction, and height of the last caller.

Ever been flying with a friend and found that shortly after takeoff you cannot see him, but you know he is close? Surely it would be great to know where he is in relation to yourself each time he lets go of the transmit button! ;):;)1::;)5:

Guest byteboy

Ian

Here’s how I came up with my decision to go with Becker…most

of my decision is cosmetic value. There’s certainly nothing wrong with either

Becker or Garmin in my opinion.

Let’s assume the center panel is where radio’s, GPS and

transponder go. If I was doing the 296 or 396 Garmin GPS I would have gone with

the Garmin radio and transponder as they make a nice panel mount package and

interface well with the GPS. I wanted a bigger screen GPS then the 2 or 396 and

I already have a 296 (which I’ll use for backup). So I picked the Bendix/King Skymap

IIIC with its five inch screen. The two Garmin’s will fit underneath it but I

thought the Becker equipment “looked†better underneath the Skymap then did the

Garmin’s.

So basically I went with what I felt was a cleaner, simpler

look and a GPS with a larger screen versus a couple more bells and whistles. Either

way the job gets done.

By the way, my first choice for the GPS screen was the AvMap

with it’s seven inch screen but the “cosmetics†were off and more importantly

from what I understand t does a poor job “driving†the AP.

Hope that helps!!

Roger

Thanks Roger - I have decided to go for the Garmin avionica, Skymap IIIC ( as I will also have the TruTrack DigiFlight IIVS autopilot) and the new CT panel will look the same as this:

20060528_043408_CT.jpg

The only thing I am thinking about now is a Junkers ballistic chute just for peace of mind but those things are not light (13kg) and I am already up on my weight.

Thanks again all :)

Guest byteboy

Ian,

Thats exactly how my panel will look except with Becker, again just becuase I like the looks better. In the US the chute is standard - makes my wife happy!!

Regards

Roger

Thanks Roger

The CT has really taken off over there - I believe something like over 170 of them sold in one year