Morgan Builds under way and completed

magishme

It was good to have good weather at Natfly, and for those that flew in, a lot of GA aircraft also, I didnt see any CASA people chasing aircraft for an audit, but if you have the paper work you have nothing to worry about, but a lot of people are staying away, new faces where seen this year .I know some dont even carry an ELB or own one and don't go ,but may be they should. just so there family can find them, if they dont care about them self s

I measured up the Cirrus and the new aircraft will be much the same size with cleaner lines to it. Our new aircraft interior standard maches the imported ones. The quailty of materials and robust, to handling rough runways and time ,Australian aircraft far excite most imported ones this has been proven over the years, and insurances companys know it only to well.

The products built in our country are some of the best you will find, and at a lower price tag. with a lot more put into the product. Safe flying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David, I have a cougar 2 seat not far off completion. Garry mentioned earlier the Viking engine, that one is mine. I really like the look of this cougar as the undercarriage has been extended in height to accommodate the bigger prop. It's becoming a very, very nice looking RAAus aircraft. I've invested a lot in to this aircraft with every modern con available, glass cockpit, autopilot, BRS and lots more. I'm in Brisbane and heading down to Taree in a few weeks after it comes out of paint to complete the wiring. More than happy to share some pics after that trip. There is some current pics on the Viking Aircraft Engine forum, http://vikingaircraftengines.ning.com/add-engine-mounting-pictures/image. Jamie

image.jpg.71ce0d3fbb6428da51f1180fafa0a4b5.jpg

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the post. I saw your plane when I was in taree a few months ago. It really caught my eye. They look a great all round plane that is fast enough to tourer in. Heaps of space and the option of extra seats for VH rego. I recently converted to a pilot cert from GFPT. I live out in the bay suburbs in brisbane. I would love to see more photos of this as it comes along. Sounds like you'll have a heap of great times and some good gear going into it. I don't know a lot about the Vikings though I will look them up. I will be commencing Nav traing in the next month or two. I currently flu fornightly and it's great to get back into it.

Hope you have a great trip down..how far off test flying do you think?

David

6-10 weeks for test flying.... Fingers crossed. I expect delivery late June or early July. The engine is out of the Viking factory in Florida. There doesn't appear to be any unhappy customers yet with plenty flying and many aircraft with cross country hours in the US. I'll be posting some in depth video on the background of my choices so I'll let you know when that happens and send you a message when I get it home.

Jamie

Bex the guys at Morgan ran the the weight calcs with the engine when setting up the aircrafts CG. We don't know the final weight yet as the aircraft isn't quite finished. I'm expecting it to easily fit within the LSA category.

Bex the guys at Morgan ran the the weight calcs with the engine when setting up the aircrafts CG. We don't know the final weight yet as the aircraft isn't quite finished. I'm expecting it to easily fit within the LSA category.

Thanks for replying, I was refering to the Viking engine installed weight, not the complete craft.

Bex I would think that 102kgs includes battery too?? FYI, I'm using a aerovoltz 16 cell lifepo4 battery to keep the weight down, only 1.3kg @ 500 cold cranking amps. I had to use it last month to start my hilux ute. Damn thing started better than a normal car batt.

• Agree 1

Dav, I'm not a traditional white plane guy! I have a cool red, black and white designed planned out with the painter. The majority will be red. I had the steps up to the wing chome plated by a guy at tingalba. It's going to be a head turner.

The majority of old aviation guys don't like anything new and ALL have bad opinions, never have sat in or have flown the type of aircraft and always quick to bag it. I plan to speak up and stick it to them. The reason I want to make videos on my choices is that nothing similar existed when I was shopping around. It took me 2 years to finally sign up with MAW and another 12 months to build. I want to share my experience to help someone else choose what's right for them.

There is always going to be issues with kit builds as the owner is the builder and it's traditionally not their full time job. The trick is to show everyone what a professional product can be.

• Agree 1

Jamie, sounds great I like the colours. I am the kinda guy that likes to out with the old and in with the new. I would rather be flying a new plane than one built in the 70s. The performance is simply amazing with these Morgan planes and I do hope that the finish and build quality is there as I will be looking at these after I do my Navs.

David

• Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Magishme,

It embarrasses me to say on average about 2-3 days a week, but everything is so time consuming. (I can now understand why it takes people years to complete a build)

Now that all the flap linkages, mechanisms & indicators are worked out, the new fuel access point is installed, access door fitted behind the firewall to mount the battery, and finally the canopy is all done, what's left seems to be a walk in the park.

As you can see by in the attached pics, I have gone all out by installing 3 ribs into the rudder then rib stitching them, as well as rib stitching the tailplane. Overkill, but I read an article where someone said, while your flying along it's like there is a giant vacuum cleaner trying to suck off your fabric.

So now I say, Bring it on !!!

1191079795_Tailfeathers.jpg.58c42adbe84ee74cece257581ea4f3fa.jpg

1796825468_FlapIndicator.jpg.c2903322938897eaaa0f936a82400112.jpg

Hi Ron,

2-3 days a weeks isn't too bad considering many people can only get into builds on the weekends. I can imagine how much intricacy would be involved in a build and I don't think I would have the skills to build one! I am more of a geek and good with computers and electronics than fabricating stuff. It would be an awesome feeling however to build you own plane. I think I will end up buying one already built.

Your flap indicator and dash looks great, it couldn't be too far away now?

• 4 weeks later...

Jmbb74 Cougar Will be finished soon and will present as one of the best around, he has put a lot into it to make a very good aircraft. we do some glass work for a firm in Syd which is mostly on going big jobs. Canopys as one off jobs, parts and repairs which a few years ago we didn't get. The new workshop mainly for development is mostly set up and started on the new 18m single seat glider , it has a 28hp for a self launch. The Cheyenne is undergoing paper work this is taking a while but hope to have GFA here again in a month.We have a new Camit motor delivered this week which will go into a Sierra down the road. With the new RPL coming in Sept could be an exciting time to design an aircraft for that. We will be able to fly up to a 2000lb aircraft? The new 18m glider is by far the most complex aircraft we have done, its like tuning very advanced a race car, in design. It has design areas most of you would would not have even heard or through of. Made me realise how complex and advanced gliders are. What else in the wind ,how about a flying machine 4+ seat, which has no CASA or aviation involvement no medicals no bulshit, just fun????

• Like 3

• 1 month later...