Morgan Builds under way and completed

magishme

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI

The test flying is still a little way off I have to fit and final rig everything. I am going to turn it sideways in my shed and fit the wings this weekend. But Monday reality strikes and I am back to work, So time will become an issue again. At the moment the weather is to wild here in Ballarat for test flying anyway.

My time line is to catch the calm weather in Autumn we get some very nice days then and I hopefully can take a week off to concentrate on the project.

Will keep everyone in the loop once I get to that stage.

cheers

David

Wow David big balls for taking on such a project and bigger balls or mad for test flying ti without a chute...

The economy appeals to me, but my god , i cant imagine what goes thruough your head on take off.... I flew today after a 100 hourly service where we took a few extra bits off and was paranoid about things i may have forgotten , even though we cross checked and double cross checked...

HI

Thanks for the praise but the rebuild is only engineering and time, although for the effort I could have built a kit from scratch, would have cost a bit more but.

As for the test flying they are a proven design and it is built to plan, nearly, all the important parts are. So we will cross check everything and take little steps. It seems, I think that if the test is going to go pear shaped it tends to be on take off or landing so the chute is not much help. I might take a EM pack anyway but getting out of the cockpit could be fun. In my youth, in the military, Your avatar looks intriguing but can't read the sign. I have done 600+ jumps both tethered and free fall in the days when we changed from round to para-vane had some quit interesting times with bad deploys and rope overs they seem to work a lot better now days. So what am I saying, the test flight shouldn't be too much of an issue if the preparation is right and well planned. Hope so anyway.

Cheers

David

Hahah my avatar says "I was your pilot ...." and its through a cabin window!

I have never jumped, but i have done every adrenaline sport known to man... I always so so so wanted to parachute and wingsuit....but..then of all things....I went on the poxy tower of terror at Dream world and lost my nerve... haha call me soft or what you will... I will recover..but its a temporary setback...

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report 19-8651 first took to the sky on the 16th of December however it was only a few short hops. All very stable. However the fuel pump was not working properly. Camit sent a new fuel pump promptly but some great gliding at Temora got in the way of testing the Sierra. Today Garry did the first proper test flight and it now has 1.1 hours on the Taco. Very happy!!

P1220052.JPG.b86950d60432b064a2ab3a2b63d8ea5f.JPG

• Like 7
  • Winner 4

• 1 month later...

1148851461_IMG_0700(2).JPG.c083d5b5eb64dd095f727741d498fb39.JPG Hi Guy's

19 5234 is now complete at least I think so will get the W&B and condition report done in the next week or so then will be waiting on RAA and their needs.

A couple of You Tube clips you might be interested in showing her complete and running for the first time in a while about 2 years I think.

Cheers

David

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

David,

Great news that another aircraft is about to be reborn and fly again. Hopefully not to long for the W+B and paperwork to be done and she will take to the skies.

I have to admit though, that the videos made me nervous for 2 reasons. I had bad images of the canopy cracking it was moving so much and had the aircraft jumped the chocks and got away from you it could have been nasty.

• Agree 1

HI

Yah the canopy is moving a bit but it looks a lot worse in the video that in real life, but I wouldent run more than 1200 rpm cause it does get a bit wild. The canopy has had a hard life before I fitted it, It got picked up in the wind and rolled down the paddock and ended in a dam. Still polishing out the scratches.

Your right about if the plane jumped the wood it could have got exciting and messy I got carried away in the moment.

Thanks for your comments

Cheers

David

• 6 months later...

Hi Kyle,

I have 32 hours on the Camit and it is going very well. After the first service at 25 hours and a new prop it is even running better. The old prop had it over revving a bit and that caused turbulence in the carb inlet and roughness at high revs. All fixed now. At 3000 rpm at sea level I can do 140knts one up. Cylinder heads tightened a slight amount at 5 hours but nothing after that. Tappits only needed adjustment at 5 hours. Only 2 of them think. Nothing after that. Compression is very good now. All six cylinders take a bit of force to get them through. No oil leaks at all. Alternator charges the battery fully before I take off. I did have some trouble with fuel pump springs but Ian sorted that for my tank configuration. My config does not deliver fuel to the pump by gravity unless the tank is greater than half full. A stronger Spring was required, the original jabiru one, and all has been fine since. I have an mgl engine temp monitoring and hottest cylinders are the centre ones at 150 on climb and 130 in cruise. EGT I have 2 rear. Both sit on 670 in the cruise.

Very happy with Camit motor indeed.

Graham

• Informative 2