Jab down at Myrtleford today

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife just ask was he OK, I said yes just a cut on his leg, then she said "until his wife gets hold of him". Sounds like I will only get to bend one!

Lets hope the Rotax keeps on spinning, my bet is if we bend our planes it will be our fault entirely

That's so sad to see, yet encouraging on the other hand.

I can't believe that the firewall has separated the way it has, yet the cockpit has remained so much intact.

Despite what comments many (including myself) have said about what drives the fan, the structure of the airframe has to be admired, and i'm sure the poor felow with the cut leg would agree.

• Agree 1

That's so sad to see, yet encouraging on the other hand.I can't believe that the firewall has separated the way it has, yet the cockpit has remained so much intact.

Despite what comments many (including myself) have said about what drives the fan, the structure of the airframe has to be admired, and i'm sure the poor felow with the cut leg would agree.

I wonder if the pilot had to be cut out of the plane. That would explain the firewall.

I wonder if the pilot had to be cut out of the plane. That would explain the firewall.

That was my first thought too, looked like the rescue squad got carried away with the jaws of life! But his injuries sounded a bit light on to have been trapped in the wreckage, and it would have got a mention in the news article.

The man, 65, suffered a minor laceration to his right shin after the aircraft crashed about 3pm on a private airstrip in Whalley’s Lane, Myrtleford.

Ambulance Victoria spokesman John Mullen said the pilot got himself out of the aircraft and walked 200 metres to a nearby house.

As you can see , He was not cut out ,so the A/C is as is , not cut by the Jaws of life ??? (made a mess but) .

The man, 65, suffered a minor laceration to his right shin after the aircraft crashed about 3pm on a private airstrip in Whalley’s Lane, Myrtleford.

Ambulance Victoria spokesman John Mullen said the pilot got himself out of the aircraft and walked 200 metres to a nearby house.

As you can see , He was not cut out ,so the A/C is as is , not cut by the Jaws of life ??? (made a mess but) .

Which article are you quoting? I cant find that one from the link posted at the top.

Very similar occurrence to an ST1 in WA - noseleg went into a deep rut beside a tree stump, took the firewall with it. Pilot completely undamaged. Jabiru was happy to repair it; eventually the owner decided not to repair it as he'd seen an SP6 for good money; we got the wings for our ST1 out of that crash. The firewall will tear away from the bottom of the window pillars down and leave the pax. sitting windy but unharmed.

By comparison, I've seen a demolished Sting where the complete cabin just basically exploded into small bits of c/f back to the mainspar, you couldn't do more damage by dropping hand-grenades into it. Harnesses tore their shoulder-straps out of the totally useless fixings. Two dead, didn't stand a chance. That was a forced landing that wasn't a stall/spin, just hit the ground hard and basically exploded. RV 6's lose elevator power in a dead-stick landing and if trying to flare at normal landing speed just fly into the ground, and if they haven't had the fuselage strengthening mod, will fold up and smash the pax's heads. If there were an ANCAP rating for crash-worthiness, Jabs. would sit right up at the top for pax. security. Lightwings are pretty good, too.

• Informative 1

Very similar occurrence to an ST1 in WA - noseleg went into a deep rut beside a tree stump, took the firewall with it. Pilot completely undamaged. Jabiru was happy to repair it; eventually the owner decided not to repair it as he'd seen an SP6 for good money; we got the wings for our ST1 out of that crash. The firewall will tear away from the bottom of the window pillars down and leave the pax. sitting windy but unharmed.By comparison, I've seen a demolished Sting where the complete cabin just basically exploded into small bits of c/f back to the mainspar, you couldn't do more damage by dropping hand-grenades into it. Harnesses tore their shoulder-straps out of the totally useless fixings. Two dead, didn't stand a chance. That was a forced landing that wasn't a stall/spin, just hit the ground hard and basically exploded. RV 6's lose elevator power in a dead-stick landing and if trying to flare at normal landing speed just fly into the ground, and if they haven't had the fuselage strengthening mod, will fold up and smash the pax's heads. If there were an ANCAP rating for crash-worthiness, Jabs. would sit right up at the top for pax. security. Lightwings are pretty good, too.

Not so sure about the RV6 opinion ,it was based on one crash in Australia where the pilot held the stick hard back and ploughed into the ground, there has never been any mention of a problem in the USA ,and there's hundreds flying there(thousands actually) , but the jabs certainly have a tough fuselage,

Matty

The actual speed you have at contact, is a big factor and the distance you travel till stationary. .Every inch counts.. Like a largish tree stump won't give much, or if you bounce and go nose in on hard ground. The engine in the front is a help. I think the Jabiru has the runs on the board for keeping the occupant's section intact . Nev

Yes very true. Its mass times velocity Squared. So if you double the velocity, you quadruple the energy involved. If you halve the velocity, you quadruple the energy saving in the event of an impact.

Oscar. Be carefull with that wing. One of the school jabs in Gundy had an accident when a young lady flipped it into an evaporation pond. It was repaired by jab back to its former glory and returned to service. About a year later it suffered an engine failure and was put down in a paddock. The paddock was a bit rough and the nosewheel collapsed. No other impact was involved BUT..The right wing snapped right down the middle. It seemed (from what I was told, I never saw it) that the crack propagated out from the fuel tank hole and cracked off beautifully in an apparent shearing load. It was assumed that the impact of the forced landing was not enough to cause the snapping of the wing, so therefor must have been an undetected issue from the previous accident. Im sure Jab would have some records on this incident if you want to check out what became of it. Im not sure myself as the satellite school have now gone on their own way..

Cheers

Not so sure about the RV6 opinion ,it was based on one crash in Australia where the pilot held the stick hard back and ploughed into the ground, there has never been any mention of a problem in the USA ,and there's hundreds flying there(thousands actually) , but the jabs certainly have a tough fuselage,Matty

Vans quietly adopted (well, put out a similar) cockpit strengthening mod as the Australian one and I believe made it standard on all kits many years ago. But the aerodynamic problem that leads to the hard hit is very real: suggest you read para 6 of this: http://www.sdsefi.com/air44.htm

• Agree 1

Merv, we're being VERY careful with those wings (are using both) because both our and the WA starboard wing tore out the rear attachment just from the kinetic energy of the stop. We've replaced the rear attachment points in both those wings with a replica of the front attachment point stub-spar arrangement (all done to the specification of the aero-engineer who did all the original structural justification work on the early Jabs, btw.) The solid wing rear attachment points don't fail in normal service BUT - as with any aircraft - an abnormal loading requires very detailed consideration of how those abnormal loads were reacted out. When I had a CofA inspector's ticket for Gliders, the first place we went to look if a tip had hit anything even slightly hard, was the root fittings.

That's certainly a very weird form of failure and I agree with your surmise that there was pre-existing undetected damage. With a low-tech thin-glass structure, that's usually reasonably easy to see; with carbon fibre components in high-strength areas, it requires laboratory-class equipment and inspection techniques to be sure. Metal is generally pretty good for inspection PROVIDED you can get to see the bits you need to see...