Tail dragger to tricycle conversion?

Philster2001

Hi,Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible/legal to convert a CA21 or CA22 to a Gazelle by changing the undercarriage?

Cheers

Not sure on the legalities, but they're a bit different in lots of little ways, the firewall, oil tank mounts, battery position, that's just the stuff I can think of( I have a gazelle fuselage in the back yard) .

Not sure on the motivation to convert one but I'd learn to operate the taildragger, much more satisfying , and challenging.

If your in the Melbourne area your welcome to have a look at the fuselage I have ,it's almost stripped down and easy to see the differences.

Matty

Are you doing a rebuild on the one in your back yard?

Kinda, it's a bit bent, I'm going to use it for a template to build a better one, it'll get cut up and widened, lengthened and generally stuffed with

Matty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Curandero
Can't imagine why you would want to, the tail draggers are much better.

Dear Foxworker, I have a gazelle which I am selling due to its 24x2 litre tanks and its 24 reggo which doesn't allow changes. I have a tail wheel endorsement having owned an Aeropup for a few years. I see Skyfoxes for sale with various sizes of their tanks. Does the Skyfox have the 20kt crosswind component too?

There have been a few times where, on cross wind landings in the Aeropup, I ended up in the crop due to windcocking as the tail plane dropped. I didn't have toe brakes on the Aeropup, Does Skyfox have them?Any thoughts?

I think the Gazelle is an excellent a/c, so well thought out, dual brakes, doesn't drop a wing on stall etc. you say tail draggers are much better. Do they cruise any faster than the 75kt average?

Curandero