Change of President

DonRamsay

DLW,

Like you, I think I am entitled to my opinion - no more, no less. Facts, on the other hand belong to nobody and to everybody. They speak for themselves and don't need anybody's support - as long as they are facts and not just opinions or rumours.

"the outgoing president obviously told a number of people before he left the position"

Fact? Opinion or just Speculation?

"next time i hear something interesting that members of the site might like to here i wont bother until i run it past you."

Good to see you are prepared to defer to those who are old enough to know where the Caps lock is. 078_pc_revenge.gif.92f2d38a0e662b2e0b6cba4dc0ba5c35.gif

Can't we move on from this nonsense?

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 1

Can't we move on from this nonsense?

When you step in dog sh$t Don, sometimes it gets up to your ankles. Why don't you leave the people alone to carry on with their forum the way they want.

• Haha 1

you are starting to sound like you run this forum Don or at least you want to.

I see you are a new member here, Deborah, so welcome. It's good to see a few female fliers joining the discussions.

One of the disadvantages of being new is it takes a while to come to know the various posters and to learn about the contributions they have made to our sports organisation.

Don has done considerable work for the benefit of all of us. He served as a Board member until the liability risk exposure became extreme some time back and he felt he had to resign his position. Since then he has done more than anyone to bring the Association into the 21st century by updating the Constitution and holding certain previous Board members to account for their governance decisions.

He has also been a regular contributor to this list and the message count against his name does not reflect this by a long way.

So please tell us about yourself, Deborah. What do you fly and where? Are you an aircraft owner or partner of one? Who did you train with and what stage are you at?

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Winner 4

Fantastic association I recently joined........

Welcome along to you too Harry. Don't worry about the rough and tumble of forum discussion. We may not always agree, but many of the posters here write with a great deal of experience, research and wisdom (such as the likes of Don and Kaz). Sometimes that may come across as unfriendly, but there is a great deal to be learnt if you keep an open mind. Always feel free to jump in to the discussion and contribute your own wisdom! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Agree 2

Be aware that some of the most strident critics of RAAus are not members. This forum is open to all. Perhaps we need a little flag so that the members and non- members can be identified by new participants.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

you are starting to sound like you run this forum Don or at least you want tothe outgoing president obviously told a number of people before he left the position. if you tell people something unless you say that you dont want them to spred it then of course they are gonna tell others. it doesnt mean that anyone has done anything wrong or broken any laws or anything dodgey. next time i hear something interesting that members of the site might like to here i wont bother until i run it past you.

Good Morning deborahlwayman

No-- I like like your news breaks, just bypasses the ones sitting there twiddling their thumbs.

You know the good oil is uncensored-- good on ya..

Regards

Keith Page.

Be aware that some of the most strident critics of RAAus are not members. This forum is open to all. Perhaps we need a little flag so that the members and non- members can be identified by new participants.

I would love to implement that however there is no way a member can be verified plus if the person doing the typing is in fact the member.

Guest Andys@coffs

Not to mention that there are very few (if any?) members for life so any checks that had to be made would need to be verified every 12 months. For what gain exactly? If as is the case with some, I felt so concerned about my private risk exposure that I could no longer continue as a member, then what does that say about that person exactly?

Andy

P.S who BTW has been a member for years and continues to be so...my J230 demands it!

P.P.S I personally don't feel exposed to an incorporated associations risk myself, but others do/did.......one of us is correct and I hope that we never get to the stage of having that tested in court! :<) Its my belief that if it was ever tested and found that members are exposed then that to me would indicate fundamental legislative failure in that one of the main reasons for incorporated associations has failed......If it were to be I would be arguing for retrospective effect of legislative changes to fix the hole...to the appropriate state based legislators.....

I don't see the value in this 'who said what, and should they have' business; it would be more useful to know if there's anything more behind the resignation than what has been stated.

Rod Birrell is a high experienced member of the Board, one would think he had a keen appreciation of the workload facing him when he took on the Presidency. If this personal situation has changed significantly, then that is perfectly understandable that he'd need to adjust his time availability; it would however be instructive for us to be assured that we are not seeing the result of tension within the Board that is making things difficult for a cooperative effort by all Board members.

• Agree 1

I don't see the value in this 'who said what, and should they have' business; it would be more useful to know if there's anything more behind the resignation than what has been stated.Rod Birrell is a high experienced member of the Board, one would think he had a keen appreciation of the workload facing him when he took on the Presidency. If this personal situation has changed significantly, then that is perfectly understandable that he'd need to adjust his time availability; it would however be instructive for us to be assured that we are not seeing the result of tension within the Board that is making things difficult for a cooperative effort by all Board members.

Finally, someone has spotted the elephant. Why is the role of President of the RAA a revolving door?

Presidents vary. Some you have to get rid of. Some may wish to review their commitment with time due to other circumstances. I do not feel that making assumptions, is a very satisfactory way to deal with RAAus affairs. There are lots of firemen at big fires but not all fires are lit by firemen. Rod was running a flying school full time before this. The president's job does not pay anything. I have NO idea what the reason is quite frankly, and I thank him for the work he has done.. I wish his replacement all the best. Nev

• Agree 3

Nev - no assumptions on my part whatsoever; however I do suspect that most of the RAA membership would like to see some stability at the top table. I think it's worth remembering that it's not just the President's chair that seems to be somewhat at the whim of whenever the music stops, because with Michael Monck as this week's new President, we now need someone else to be Secretary.

I believe that the Board has a hell of a lot on its hands to overhaul the organisation; I seriously doubt that any new member of the Board can get to grips with all the issues in just a few months of being in a position, given the small amount of time any Board member can realistically give to RAA business. It takes time to analyse the situation, gain insight of the past performance of any position, look to formulating a strategy and bring that forward for Board consideration, have it approved, put it in place and then fine-tune it. Continual change of the occupants of any important Board position is almost (though not quite!) as bad as stagnation.

It's NOT a good look, although IF the same people are on the board there is continuity there, (and hopefully support). I'm a bit more trusting than I was some time ago, and I have made my views clear on some aspects of this problem. Ie I think CASA could have been of more assistance, if they were fair dinkum, and wanted the show to go on. Time will tell. Nev

• Agree 1