Feeling ripped-off!

planedriver

Well we pay around $140 P/A to the greedy Yarra Valley and we are on 0ur own Tank Water....mind $75 is for Parks but they claim the rest is for drainage, mmmmm, there isn't anything in place for drainage.

H

I've just had my water supply bill come in and it's over $150 bucks.Oxfam can supply a whole African village for just $2 a month so i'm told.

I think I need to change my supplier:crying:

Yeah, but as Gina Rinehart wants to bring in here, you can also get someone to labour in a mine for $2 an hour. Probably works out much the same...

Well we pay around $140 P/A to the greedy Yarra Valley and we are on 0ur own Tank Water....mind $75 is for Parks but they claim the rest is for drainage, mmmmm, there isn't anything in place for drainage.H

We're on tank water too and don't pay anything for water/sewage/rubbish in the rates... yet...

We're on tank water too and don't pay anything for water/sewage/rubbish in the rates... yet...

Give some greedy Councillor a little time & they will be onto it >:(

I'm on tank water because it's the law.

I'm on town water because it's the law.

I water the lawn & garden with my tank water

We have level 1 water restrictions so can't water the lawn & garden except before 8 am & after 5 pm

What does all this mean

They made me put in a tank & pump when the house was built to supply the dunnys & laundry plus outside taps & then tell me I can't use them to water the garden when I want to but I can get rid of my excrement & wash my clothes at any time with the same water. This is environmental discrimination.

The other point. To use my free (after the capital investment of tanks, pumps & plumbing) water from the sky costs me 1.2kw of electrical energy every time the pump runs so my free water from the sky is costing me an arm & a bloody leg in electricity bills. Is this all in the name of conservation???? Nope just another half arzed government system to justify some half witted politicians existence.

There's pluses and minuses to being on tank water.

On the plus side, we don't pay anything for water (yes, apart from electricity for the pump, pump repairs, etc etc etc). This is actually a pretty big plus when you see the size of the bills that Southern Water have been giving out to those on town water. Guess that's what happens when the councils make private enterprise responsible for the provision of water and don't stop to think that they'll be trying to make a profit.

On the minus, we rely on rain (we're pretty lucky as we have a creek going thru which hasn't dried up in living history - this may change soon), have to filter drinking water, if the power's out then so is the water, don't have fluoride (I guess you don't get that in QLD anyway), and the aforementioned electricity and pump repair costs.

Swings and roundabouts really. KG, I get your point about the inconsistencies with dunny flushing vs lawn watering, but I guess it would be difficult for your council to (a) have no watering restrictions for those who have tanks (as opposed to older houses which may not), or (b) regulating everyone's bowel movements to comply with water restrictions...

Ah, it's just started raining. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Say what ever you want about China but water, gas, electricity are the fundamentals of living and they are controlled by the State and dirt cheap for the people without profit - as they should be.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1

I'm on tank water because it's the law.I'm on town water because it's the law.

I water the lawn & garden with my tank water

We have level 1 water restrictions so can't water the lawn & garden except before 8 am & after 5 pm

What does all this mean

They made me put in a tank & pump when the house was built to supply the dunnys & laundry plus outside taps & then tell me I can't use them to water the garden when I want to but I can get rid of my excrement & wash my clothes at any time with the same water. This is environmental discrimination.

The other point. To use my free (after the capital investment of tanks, pumps & plumbing) water from the sky costs me 1.2kw of electrical energy every time the pump runs so my free water from the sky is costing me an arm & a bloody leg in electricity bills. Is this all in the name of conservation???? Nope just another half arzed government system to justify some half witted politicians existence.

We're on tank and town water. I grew up solely on tank water, so we do it the other way round, and use the rain water for drinking and household stuff, as far as I'm concerned the treated water is only good for watering plants and flushing toilets.

• Agree 1

Think yourselves lucky, I like M61A1 run my house on tank water and would only consider drinking any town water anywhere as a last resort.

Last year my water bill was in excess of $1000 and we don't have a potable town water supply. That's what you get from Western Downs Regional Council

We're on tank and town water. I grew up solely on tank water, so we do it the other way round, and use the rain water for drinking and household stuff, as far as I'm concerned the treated water is only good for watering plants and flushing toilets.

Depends where you're living. Hobart tap water is great, tastes like... well... water. On the other hand there were some small towns up the east coast that couldn't drink the tap water for months.

Look down the mountain - your water used to drain into my place.

Hey that's a bit rough Djp, that was some other bloke above you, I drain down to another fellow below me he adds to it and sends on to the bloke below him then it drains down through the forest.

My complaint is the money to the council has never gone to any effort by them to actually manage the drainage

H

• Like 1

Yes KG - in Qld the rule was where you had town water your new house had to have a 5000 ltr tank for toilets and laundry

I think it was for energy efficiency and also to remove some 'peak' load from reticulated water supplies

This rule stayed in effect for say 2 or 3 years and now has been repealed

So if you build a new house now - this requirement is now not required or built (this might not be fso or some Councils)

You probably can now plumb your toilet and laundry back to town water - get rid of the pump ................. no questions asked ............. I'd guess

Depends where you're living. Hobart tap water is great, tastes like... well... water. On the other hand there were some small towns up the east coast that couldn't drink the tap water for months.

Sure does depend on location, I remember (1987) Adelaide water was horrid, Gold Coast water has always tasted like crap, Brisbane water might as well be drinking straight from a swimming pool, and Oakey seems to vary between I can live with it if I must, to disgusting. Even bottled water doesn't come close to rainwater for taste.

Pure water has no taste or odour, as far as I know. Rainwater will always have some impurities. Chlorine, which is added to townwater to make it up to world health standards is a POISON. If you leave it stand or boil it, it will get rid of the chlorine. (which is mainly to get rid of E-coli.). Nev

Where I live it is illegal to pipe tank water to the kitchen in new houses and the town water in my opinion is not good for drinking. Just ignore the regulations, they are made by idiots. 44 years on tank water and I have never had any problems with it.

• Agree 2

. Chlorine, which is added to townwater to make it up to world health standards is a POISON.

Just ignore the regulations, they are made by idiots. 44 years on tank water and I have never had any problems with it.

Yep and Smallpox and Polio shots were a complete waste of time as well.

Where I live it is illegal to pipe tank water to the kitchen in new houses and the town water in my opinion is not good for drinking. Just ignore the regulations, they are made by idiots. 44 years on tank water and I have never had any problems with it.

Exactly... the code I live by is "what the council doesn't know won't hurt them."

Of course there is a reason for most rules & regs, especially when it comes to building/plumbing etc, but another code I live by is "rules are for the adherence of fools and the guidance of wise men."

Full of it tonight, aren't I.

Confuscious say:

rules & regs - forgiveness can sometimes be easier to obtain than permission

rules & regs - it would not be nearly so complicated if there was no money involved

• Like 1

Yes KG - in Qld the rule was where you had town water your new house had to have a 5000 ltr tank for toilets and laundryI think it was for energy efficiency and also to remove some 'peak' load from reticulated water supplies

This rule stayed in effect for say 2 or 3 years and now has been repealed

So if you build a new house now - this requirement is now not required or built (this might not be fso or some Councils)

You probably can now plumb your toilet and laundry back to town water - get rid of the pump ................. no questions asked ............. I'd guess

A lot of the QLD regs were a knee jerk reaction to drought, and we're designed to encourage people to use less water, as supplies were drying up. Now the dams are full, it's like they have completely forgotten that it's a finite resource here, and go on using it like it will never run out.

I also think though, that when they started charging higher prices to discourage high usage, they found out people will actually pay that much for water, and that they could make some serious money from it.

After growing up relying on tank water, you learned very quickly, often with a kick up the arxe, not to leave the tap running while brushing you teeth ( something our city cousins had trouble coping with), while rinsing dishes or washing a car.

Most early houses around here had no pumps, as the tanks were mounted higher that the taps. My old man only had to install a pump, when my mother demanded and automatic dishwasher and washing machine.

I found also when I bought my first house, that my water usage was about a third of my neighbours, despite having 3 kids, and them having none. I spoke to a council man at the time (per-drought) about diverting my grey water for yard usage, he said the council will never allow it, but to just do it and not tell them, because it's a good idea.

When Qld had strict limits on usage, people found they didn't need to use so much. When the reduced use was felt by the water suppliers and their income dropped they had to raise the prices. Can't have a semi government arm getting a reduced income.

There's pluses and minuses to being on tank water.On the plus side, we don't pay anything for water ...

Ah, it's just started raining. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

You're in Taz aren't you? If it's just started raining, wait a minute or two - it should all change completely by then.

Pete (moving to Franklin)

• Haha 1

You're in Taz aren't you? If it's just started raining, wait a minute or two - it should all change completely by then.Pete (moving to Franklin)

Yes, it did stop, but it's raining again now 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

It is true what they say, you can experience 4 seasons in one day here.

Is that the Franklin south of Huonville down here you're moving to Pete? Just down the road a bit from me.

Cheers, Marty

• Like 1