What oil do you use in your Rotax 912ULS?

ozzietriker

G'day all,

Is there a substitute oil for "Aeroshell Oil Sport Plus 4" that meets the specification for use in a Rotax 912 ULS engine and an oil I can easily get from a motorbike or car shop?

I'm finding it very difficult and expensive to source this oil in Perth WA, if there are any substitutes out there that meet the Rotax spec I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Shell Advance VSX 4 is pretty easy to get from motorbike stores. We have used it for years in our Rotax 912A.

It's on the list (2 different viscosities - I am pretty sure we use 15W50).

Cheers

Neil

• Agree 1

Hi Andrew,Shell Advance VSX 4 is pretty easy to get from motorbike stores. We have used it for years in our Rotax 912A.

It's on the list (2 different viscosities - I am pretty sure we use 15W50).

Cheers

Neil

I use Shell VSX4 at 15W50 for 912UL.

Cheers

Mike

Problem with using motorcycle oils ect is oil companies don't have to inform you when they change the additives in them, aircraft oils they do, so what you buy this month may not be exactly the same in 3 months time.

Alf

• Agree 1

Problem with using motorcycle oils ect is oil companies don't have to inform you when they change the additives in them, aircraft oils they do, so what you buy this month may not be exactly the same in 3 months time.Alf

Hi Alf

Absolutly agree. The Castrol change is example. They changed the blend and IMO should have changed the name of the oil brand. I've just sent an email to RAA (Darren) suggesting an article in the magazine for the Rotax owners and others information. I'll chase up the aircraft oil brand. Do you use EVVA 15w50 or Skydive areolube 10/40 oil?

Thanks for info. Mike

Hi AlfAbsolutly agree. The Castrol change is example. They changed the blend and IMO should have changed the name of the oil brand. I've just sent an email to RAA (Darren) suggesting an article in the magazine for the Rotax owners and others information. I'll chase up the aircraft oil brand. Do you use EVVA 15w50 or Skydive areolube 10/40 oil?

Thanks for info. Mike

Hi Mike,

No I use the Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 as per what Rotax recommends.

Have ever since it came out, first on my 80HP 912 and now on the 100HP and never had any issues with getting it or while using it

Alf

Hi Mike,No I use the Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 as per what Rotax recommends.

Have ever since it came out, first on my 80HP 912 and now on the 100HP and never had any issues with getting it or while using it

Alf

Thanks Alf. I'll get some for the next oil change. Cheers

Mike

There's probably a lot of oils that would be OK for the motor but the redrive shares the engine oil. Not all engine oils are suitable for gears (and the dampening clutch) It's many years since engine oils were suitable for gearboxes, generally. Nev

• Agree 2

Problem with using motorcycle oils ect is oil companies don't have to inform you when they change the additives in them, aircraft oils they do, so what you buy this month may not be exactly the same in 3 months time.Alf

I believe this is what happened to the shell VSX oil. Shell changed the formula (and renamed it) and Rotax took it off their list.

Rotax recommend motorcycle oils as a general idea, because these engines have similar lubrication requirements to motorcycles. To be precise, motorcycle engine oils must also lubricate the primary and secondary reduction gear sets.

Downunder's comment about not using a full synthetic with avgas is confirmed in technical papers released by Shell.