Trike down at Tyabb Vic

Not good news ...

@9newsmelb: UPDATE: @VictoriaPolice have confirmed that one man is dead and a child is in a critical condition after an ultralight trike crash in #Tyabb (from Twitter)

What a tragedy. Local resident saw it happen and called the incident "Stall and Spin " I looked on google earth. There were so many places to land "between the houses" , thanks to Tyabb council's allowing building permits under a take off path.....

• Agree 1

This was discussed on local ABC radio this afternoon. Reported said the little girl has had a brain scan which was a good report, but has several broken bones and injuries so is still critical. Reporter has spoken to the "boss of RAAus" and gave quite a coherent explanation of responsibility for investigations. Said it was an Airborne XT 912.

• Caution 1

There is a high percentage of the time that you are very dependant on the engine continuing to run properly. That is an inescapable fact about our flying. This is stating the obvious but do we think about it? Nev

"Said it was an Airborne XT 912.

I can confirm it was in fact an XT912 and it was build no 001, Airbornes first ever XT912 built, it did all the certification & flight testing for future production of all XT912's built so far. The wing was an SST but also had the original ST3 wing packed up.

I should know as I owned this aircraft for over 7 years and sold it to the pilot involved nearly 15 months ago.

A very sad day for me as he was a real lovely family orientated man with a passion for flying, had a GA licence as well, and last year obtained his trike licence.

RIP P.T.D you will be missed by all your family & friends and the SES you gave 24 years of your life too to help the community.

And lets hope his cherished daughter will pull through for the rest of the family.

Alf

• Agree 8

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks for the report there Alf......our thoughts are with you also at this unfortunate time. My 582 Drifter that I flew for 11 years is still active in this area...and I can only imagine the pain you are feelin knowing that it was your old trike that took a friends life, not sure how I would feel in the same situation... Cheers ......Maj....

Maj,

Trike is replaceable but a human life is not, we must cherish the ones we love and make the most of your life as you never know when it is going to end, as in this case a simple joy flight doing something we aviators love turned tragic.

Yes I am saddened that the trike that I polished, patted & shared over 570 hrs of my life with no longer exists but I am more so saddened that the life of the man I met an number of times & sold it too no longer exists and his precious daughter he wanted to share his passion with is fighting for her life.

As you can imagine the what if's and what happened has been on my mind and hopefully there was no failure of some sort that caused this event.

The trike was fitted also with a ballistic chute but was it activated

I am hoping the investigation is thorough and all avenues are covered and we or at least I get some closure on this as it becomes a bit more personal.

I am fine and doing ok but still saddened that it happened as I am with any other loss of a fellow brother of the airways.

Alf