Power-lines

G'day gang...

I thought this photo shows just how difficult it is to observe power-lines.

This photo was taken as part of an ongoing tragic helicopter incident and shows the sighting of the power line in-which the chopper struck. The side arrows were placed in the photo to point out the power-line which, if it was not highlighted, could easily be missed and this image is from a stationary position. You can image how difficult it must have been to the pilot flying to readily observe this line…

It just bring home the point of view when low flying (final approach, etc) to unfamiliar airfields to conduct a recon first at a safe height and even then use considerably caution with regards to power-lines. They are extremely difficult to see!

Yours in recreational aviation,

Rodger

20060527_012601_Powerlines.jpg.1b1ed418f6831f9e83078ba96cb8cbc4.jpg

Guest TOSGcentral

May be old hat to a our experienced readers - but is always worth repeating:_This is an old crop duster's trick! When cleaning a windscreen always use only vertical strokes. The principle is that you will always leave smears and eventually scratches.If horizontal, then power lines can hide behind the scratches. If vertical then refraction will break up near invisible lines and make them more noticeable!Makes a lot of sense and everything helps!

I was surprised also when I got sent this photo of a departure from a 300m farm strip where the powerlines came well and truly in to play with the wind on the day. If you know where to look you can seem them, but the camera hardly registers them (basically in the treeline).

20060527_012623_IMG_2484s.jpg.eb5297a0c9fc623d87a5ded91af6b559.jpg

Safer to go under than try and squeez over. Not saying anyone should be in that situation but if you are ever faced with trying to just make it over probably much safer to stick low and go under. If you ever get a chance find yourself an instructor who has flown ag and get them to take you for some low flying. Could save your life one day.

I wouldn't recommend going under unless you have recieved some tuition, if there's that much doubt then don't go. Knowing your machines performance is the safest thing, if your doubtful then don't go. If you have to think about it, there's no decision.

Guest ozzie

There is some interesting reading in the safety journals a while back, after a study on power line visibility whilst wearing polarised sunnies and certain tints of canopies. some interesting out comes with different brands of sunnies. basically polarized ones can hide a lot of hazards. any AG pilots out there to add to spotting these killers.

There is some interesting reading in the safety journals a while back, after a study on power line visibility whilst wearing polarised sunnies and certain tints of canopies. some interesting out comes with different brands of sunnies. basically polarized ones can hide a lot of hazards. any AG pilots out there to add to spotting these killers.

One already has.

Guest babs1aus

A bit miffed at the arguement of flying under or over powerlines. We do have a set of rules for flying and none of them put us in this situation or have I missread them. I have seen a paraglider early evening in Wales Uk hit powerlins and a Hang glider in the middle of the day in a comp hit them. Great we all new they were there however both these pilots failed to see them.

If it a airstrip yu are operating from you should be aware of all local area dangers. If its one your not familiar and it is not listed in an ersa or other reliable guide ask alot of questions before arrival and be cautious.

With cross country hang gliding there was always the rule a house or shed or small plant (Pump House) would most likely have electricals running to it.

Wires must be assumed as following roads, sealed and dirt, Those long clearings throgh a forrest usually are line routes. Also another likely place is over rivers creeks. Hard enough to see in a boat. The one thing I can confidently state is I have never seen a powerline at the 500 ft above terrain min altitude. Im sure there are a few anomilies to this like across small gorges however i assume people dont try to fly 500 ft maximun height to undulating terrain.

Hey that is a bit like powerlines never assume.

I must be fair that if I was involved in a true emergency landing where my options were paddocks with powerlines around Id probably choose to aim for the centre of the paddock and not coast over the fence at 20 feet trying to save my aircraft. The paddock is most likely going to be that rough there be da,mage anyway.

And if the power line just happens to be in the middle of the field your in the same boat go under or over? The rules are designed to try and keep us safe but you can alway end up in situations where you shouldn't be even with the best of intentions.

Just sharing my thoughts.