RAAF CT4B - Forced Landing Gunnedah

“The reason for it to land rectified upon landing, and it became functional again,” Inspector Johnson said.

Reads like someone didn't check/recheck/and check again that there was nothing loose in the cockpit or pockets that could come adrift and foul controls.

• Caution 1

In Neil William's book "Aerobatics", he talks about emptying his pockets before doing aerobatics, and if there was something that he absolutely had to take or couldn't leave behind he would wrap it in and tie a knot in a handkerchief. I guess his theory was that it would be less likely to slide out of a pocket that way. I'd take a fouled rudder over a fouled elevator or ailerons any day, at least there was a good outcome in the end!

Without pitch control ( any means May be power or moving around yourself) you are in deep trouble. I don't like flying an aircraft that doesn't have positive trim in the pitching plane. It was the only thing left once ( for me) and good plane designers agree, on the need for it. Springs or rubber bands are not a separate control, so don't count. Nev.

A lady doing aero in a C152 some years ago up here had the ailerons stick (close to level wings). Flew back using rudder. After landing found it was the top of a rivet caught in the chain control.

Even the smallest thing on the floor can become a problem doing aeros.

A couple of those CT4's came to Old Statio for the fly in. The pilots seemed to me to be very professional and I doubt that there was anything loose in the cockpit.

It's amazing how much detail can be extracted from an inaccurate media report of an aviation related incident. 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif Beats me why we bother with getting anything investigated by the ATSB. 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif 072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif 028_whisper.gif.c42ab2fd36dd10ba7a7ea829182acdc1.gif

• Agree 3
  • Winner 2

Nothing loose in the cockpit. Apparently there was some mad scrambling under the instrument panel during the initial descent, to try to release the pedals, followed by a more leisurely check once on the ground.

I understand they grounded the fleet as a result; pending further checks.

djpacro - can you provide any further details?

• Haha 1

One of my most enjoyable flights through training was simulated elevator and aileron failure circuits, was tricky but allot of fun! Ended up doing 3 circuits from memory, using rudder, trim and power

Cooda, unable to get anything from CASA's defect database online but I can provide contact details for some one who knows. He also landed with rudder locked at a large deflection.

AirtourerTail.jpg.ea248501ed70d17cfd1ae239bf17d2cb.jpg

I don't recall exactly what bit and the diagram is not detailed enough to suggest what it may be (from memory, right at the back of the fuselage).

Peter G... No it was in NSW. at about the same period. At least the person I knew flew from Bankstown. There is a possibility he flew in Vic we were all pretty active in Chipmunks at the time. The coin could have come from anywhere, even someone working on it, or leaning over it. Nev

Thanks dj

I'll leave it for now. Let the experts have a look at it and decide what the problem was. But the symptom is the same.

The course concerned is pretty much ready to move on to Pearce but for a couple more flights.

I don't think they'll be impressed by the last minute delay.

On the plus side, at least there was an instructor on board. Might have proved a bit tricky for a low hours solo stude.

• Helpful 1

It's amazing how much detail can be extracted from an inaccurate media report of an aviation related incident. 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif Beats me why we bother with getting anything investigated by the ATSB. 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif 072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif 028_whisper.gif.c42ab2fd36dd10ba7a7ea829182acdc1.gif

Because without rumour and speculation, this is what online discussions would sound like..........

***cicadas chirping***

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I understand the stude suggested the paddock as he had been using it for PFLs a few days earlier.

The swing to port as the wings came level for touchdown saw them almost landing sideways.

Had the soil been softer there would have been a real chance of digging a wheel in and flipping.

All in all, a top effort by the instructor to redeem the situation.

There's a story going around that the fleet may be grounded until at least the end of the month while they conduct an in depth review of maintenance.

Guest Maj Millard

No need Turbo ...very familiar with the manoeuvre and the Lightwing does it well...............Maj.....

Guest Andys@coffs
And damn lucky he knew how to sideslip !.............

ummm I'd be very concerned if a defence pilot under training was about to be sent to turbine aircraft in WA and didn't know about slips.......... but at the end of the day its all about where the ailerons locked.... had it not been near neutral center, life could have been far more challenging....I guess you want to come in slow....but not slow enough to knock out a snaproll or 2 on late final.......

I agree it was a fine example of airmanship by the instructor!

Andy