Gidday All. Had my first lesson today.

Geoff13

Hi all. I have just joined and had my first lesson today. I guess I am a bit of a late starter but this is something that I have always wanted to do.

Cheers Geoff13

• Like 9

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing Geoff. There may be times where you doubt yourself and the progress that you have made but hang in there. It is a great feeling when you do your first solo.

Keep at it....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks for the welcome folks. I am learning in a Foxbat A22LS. Interesting question, what do I hope to achieve from my flight training. I suppose to become a safe competent pilot to be able to fly where and when I want with my wife or extended family. It is just one of those things that I have wanted to do since I was a kid and luckily am now in a position to give it a shot. I don't want to make a career of it , mainly just for my own and my families pleasure.

Cheers Geoff13

• Like 2

Welcome Geoff. Many of us are late starters. Life tends to get in the way. Peter008 is right about the first solo, it will stay with you for a long long time. It seems few instructors will tell you when they think you are ready and spring it on you. You'll find this flying business makes more sense if you don't allow too long a gap between lessons. Enjoy, welcome and be safe

welcome geoff and yeah never too late i started when i was 47 and am still to do my solo im at about 20 hours and will hav a few hours to go yet but there is no rush and i take it 1 lesson at a time ,plus study at home.

So today was actually 2 weeks in. It seems much longer as I am spending nearly 4 days a week at the airfield. I would be out there more but apparently they want their days off 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif. I started on circuits last weekend and today actually felt as though I am achieving something. I did initially struggle with circuits. But many people have told me not to worry about bad days. I am loving it and intend to keep at it as much as I can until I am able to just fly for flying sake. I am confident that even if I try to overdo it I will feel it myself or the instructors will let me know that I need to slow down.

I am also only too aware from many years of training apprentices and truck drivers that a ticket only means that I am now qualified to start learning, not that I have finished learning. I still learn things about road transport after twenty years at it so expect that I shall never learn everything about this flying caper. I always comment that the day I think I have nothing left to learn about driving trucks or riding bikes, then will be the time to stop driving or riding because it will mean that I have become to familiar with them and to cocky to continue.

For now I shall continue the journey as I feel that I may have found a new love. (I can say that because Julie is not on this forum:naughty:).

Cheers Geoff13

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

So today was actually 2 weeks in. It seems much longer as I am spending nearly 4 days a week at the airfield. I would be out there more but apparently they want their days off 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif. I started on circuits last weekend and today actually felt as though I am achieving something. I did initially struggle with circuits. But many people have told me not to worry about bad days. I am loving it and intend to keep at it as much as I can until I am able to just fly for flying sake. I am confident that even if I try to overdo it I will feel it myself or the instructors will let me know that I need to slow down.I am also only too aware from many years of training apprentices and truck drivers that a ticket only means that I am now qualified to start learning, not that I have finished learning. I still learn things about road transport after twenty years at it so expect that I shall never learn everything about this flying caper. I always comment that the day I think I have nothing left to learn about driving trucks or riding bikes, then will be the time to stop driving or riding because it will mean that I have become to familiar with them and to cocky to continue.

For now I shall continue the journey as I feel that I may have found a new love. (I can say that because Julie is not on this forum:naughty:).

Cheers Geoff13

Welcome Geoff, and keep at it,. . . . . The Foxbat is a nice, friendly aircraft to fly, as you have probably already gathered. . . . . . It sounds as if you've thought this lot through quite well for some time, and if you carry on with the same steady attitude and approach ( no pun intended ) to it, you'll get on fine. Our club now has SEVEN of these ubiquitous Foxbat thingies. . . . . very popular plane.

Cheers. . . .Phil

Can I ask, are you doing 60 on base, 50 on final with one stage of flap? Just curious.....

Come on Downie,. . . .give the bloke a chance, he's only been at it for a fortnight. . . . . . don't confuse im ( !! )023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif Anyway,. . . if he can maintain ANY particular airspeed in one of those slippery foxbuggers, he's a better man than me gungadin. . . .

Phil XX

Can I ask, are you doing 60 on base, 50 on final with one stage of flap? Just curious.....

Downunder I am doing 60 on base and 60 on final with 1 stage of flaps. At least I am when I get it right.

Well today I went Solo.

Go and do one circuit with a full stop then come back here and pick me up please said the CFI.

Wow. Exciting, exhilarating, terrifying and a touch of awe all at the same time. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Roll on next Thursday.

• Like 2
  • Winner 3

Geoff, congrats on the solo today, it puts you on the pilots side of the line that divides us from the rest of the population! You'll never look at the world from a non-aviation point of view again.

Now you can join me in getting grumpier as the time from the last flight grows till my wife kicks me out to get my fix again and we return home with smiles.

Enjoy the journey, now that first major hurdle is behind you.

Phil

Yep so did I. I still spoke aloud all the checks plus everything I did. I was stunned by the different climb rate. On the turn crosswind I was amazed to find I hadn't even reached the end of the runway at 500 feet. The other thing I found was that I reached circuit height and trimmed for straight and level so much quicker that it seemed I had a ton of time for my downwind checks and to set my mind for the turn to base and final.

I also felt a little flat after it. I am not sure what I expected but I will admit that I haven't actually come back down yet and I can't wait to get back out there on Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...

The journey continues. I now have about 5.5 hrs solo and have actually been out to the training area on my own to practice. I had a lot of trouble with the landings, always getting the flare a bit to high. Well on Sunday I think I figured out why. I wear reading glasses. They sit on the end of my nose and I just look over them when I want to see distance. It has served me well In the truck for years. The problem is it appears to not work so well when landing, I was getting mixed messages about my height. On Sunday I ditched the glasses after completeing my down wind checks and viola no more problem. Not perfect yet but much better. Maybe I just need bigger print on the checklists as can can read all the guages fine but cant see the lists without glasses, or maybe just a neck string so that I can remove them whilst landing. Its never been a problem looking over them before but it seems my perifery vision is getting confused as I look out and it gets worse as I flare the plane. Such an obvious thing but I could not see it. Pun intended 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Hey Geoff, ditch the reading glasses and get some flying glasses:roflmao:

On a more serious note, you should memorise your pre landing checks. It will make things a little less busy on downwind. Regards, Bob