Gidday All. Had my first lesson today.

Geoff13

I agree with the memorising the pre landing checks. However it seems that every time a learn a check list of some sort, someone puts a new one in front of me.064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

I think maybe I will just keep checking my memory for a while longer at least until I am totally confident of not missing anything. It wouldn't do to come down without those wheels down would it.

The boss went out on Sunday and bought me a string so I can drop them off the nose and they will hang around my neck until I need them. If that doesn't work I will just print some bigger checklists.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the flying school was closed for a couple of weeks so I didn't get to fly for a while. They mumbled something about someplace called Oshkosh and left for a while. The strange thing was, that not flying was harder than circuits. They have been back just over a week now and I have been out of internet range for 22 hours per day so have not updated this thread.

Last Saturday I passed my test and got my Pilots Certificate. I have managed to fly everyday since and now have over 12 hours solo, 4 of those just flying for flyings sake. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif What can I say. I need to get my navs out of the way so that I can start to try some different aircraft. I am going to have to buy one but I promised myself not to try anything different until I had my certificate, my Pax endorsement and my cross country endorsement.

So at least a few more weeks in Foxy, but she is such a gentle lady that I feel I will struggle to find a nicer girl. First nav was meant to be today but the weather was unkind so we shall try again tomorrow.

For now I have a couple of charts. One has a 25 mile radius around Caboolture and the other has one around Gympie. We camping up in the Amamoor forest for the month so I can fly at either depending on availability of the Foxbats at each one.

Did I mention that I am loving this. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

• 1 month later...

So I got home from holidays and tried to concentrate on doing my cross country endo. It seemed that things were all running against me. Cancellations due to weather. Delays due to a bird strike on the plane. So I broke my own rule of not trying to fly a different plane just so I could get my navs out of the way with terrible results. I walked away 2 weeks ago thinking I had lost the plot and would never come to grips with it.

When I got home, my darling wife who has sat on the back of a motorcycle with me for hundreds of thousands of kilometers over the last 30 plus years reminded me of what I said to her a 100 times 2 years ago when she finally decided to get her bike licence and go out on her own.

"Remember Geoff you are doing this for fun. When it stops being fun, stop doing it"

What wise words. I stepped back, waited for Foxy to get back in the air, did my penance of flying around, under, and near restricted and controlled airspace because last time I tried to take the CFI into restricted airspace not once, not twice, but three times, and he wanted to be certain that I had gotten the message. Apparently the message has been received because since then I have done my solo nav and today I did the cross country exam.

The forecast was great but visibility was at best not brilliant due to haze. It made spotting things difficult but apparently I did ok because I passed. Today was stressful but fun. It feels as though I really am now qualified to fly.

I don't know why but I really felt after my first solo, and even after gaining my pilots certificate, that I hadn't yet reached my goal of being able to fly. Even the day that I spent taking my wife and both children for a fly around Bribie Island and the Glass House Mountains I felt flat and as though the job was not finished. Today was to me the pinnacle. Tonight I feel the way I expected to feel after that first solo and after getting my certificate. Tonight I feel great as though I have achieved my goal.

My TIF was on Friday 13 June (black Friday what a good day). I was actually born on A Black Friday so it has always been special to me. So today 3.5 months later with 44 hours dual and 22 hours solo, I feel that I have arrived. Today I feel great. Today that little boy who 50 years ago as a 5 year old watched some amazing person land a plane on the claypan behind the local sawmill in Yelarbon, fuel up from fuel bludged from the locals and fly away again. Today that child achieved the dream that was born that day. Today I gained the right to fly to the horizons and beyond. I thank everyone who has helped me on this journey, some of those people are on this forum. My darling wife who gave the perfect advice on the worst days, my instructors for their tolerance and guidance.

Maybe just maybe, one day I will land somewhere, and a little boy holding his fathers hand behind a fence will look at me and say, one day I will do that and live long enough and work hard enough to actually do it. I just wish my Dad was still alive because 50 years ago I remember as clear as though it was yesterday when I told him that one day that will be me, his response was, and when you do son I will be your first passenger. Today Dad you rode on my shoulder, all the way. Thank You.

Cheers Geoff13

• Like 4
  • Winner 8

Congratulations Geoff, you've well and truly earned the euphoric feeling you have right now . Flying aeroplanes and dead reckoning navigation are skills that none of us are born with , so they have to be learned from square one. Some people find it easier than others no doubt and the hands of time do play a part in the rate the skills are mastered, but clearly through your passion for flying and the determination and tenacity to work though the tough times you've been able to achieve your life long goal . Power to you , Mate . So go ahead and enjoy this new privilege of airborne freedom to explore our part of the country where you'll find all the regular flyins with new and interesting people to meet.

Blue skies and tail winds

Cheers

JimG

44 years ago my dad was one of my first passengers. He is 25 years dead but I am grateful for having had the opportunity fly with him and his Air Force memories. I think that in flying Geoff you are brought closer each time, whether he is still around or not. Well done.

Nice posts. I can't recall being encouraged by anybody at all. It was a pretty lonely road. My father was probably one of my first passengers and we went from Broadmeadows (Newcastle) to Caves Beach in a DH 82. If he was concerned , he didn't show it. It was his only light aircraft flight ever. Nev

Congratulations Geoff it is a good feeling isn't it 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

It gets even better when you start doing trips to flyin breakfasts and just trips away. But of course remember this really is just the beginning you still have a lot to learn and experience there will still be a lot of important lessons to learn. A valuable one for me was density altitude we don't get too much experience on the coast with it but I found out when I was at MTOW and took off from Kingaroy on a hot day the takeoff performance was not what I expected but didn't really take note of it but when I got back to drop my mate off after the murgon flying I sure did on landing...I dropped the girlfriend onto the runway she just fell out of the air...no damage at all except to my ego. but a valuable lesson learned even though the strip is not that high in altitude but density made a big difference in the performance I was usually used to

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi all. I have just joined and had my first lesson today. I guess I am a bit of a late starter but this is something that I have always wanted to do.Cheers Geoff13

Im glad you have done this Geoff.

Age is not really a factor, as you often read of 'older' people starting flight training.

Many of them only have the time and money at a later stage of their lives, so I say ......GOOD ON YOU!!

I look forward to reading your progress in the forums

• 5 weeks later...

Well another milestone today. It probably doesn't mean a lot but it's just one of those things to tick off. I checked my log book tonight when i made todays entry, and today for the first time the numbers on the right hand side tally more than the numbers on the left. I know it's a small thing and really means bugger all in the big scheme of things but its nice all the same. That might change tomorrow I am going to learn a new aircraft so more time with an instructor. Have I mentioned that I am loving this flying lark. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif . I just can't get enough I want to learn more and more. Everytime I go out I learn something, but I always enjoy it.

Cheers Geoff13

• Like 4

Congratulations once again Geoff. I love the honesty in your posts/story to date.

How you have felt the highs and lows of the flight training process. I can relate to all of it.

Its easier to get on here and boast about the great landing we did today and how accurate we were on our Navs blah blah blah, but rarely mention of our mistakes (everyone makes them. Its the only way to learn stuff). I didn't feel like a real pilot either, but am starting to move to that area now. I have a GA licence also with a CSU / Retract endorsement, but it does take a while to sink in, that I actually 'am' a pilot. I thought it should feel better LOL ! anyway, my friends class me as a pilot and the paperwork says it, so I guess we must be Pilots.

Keep writing and flying. We all know that you will only tell it as it is. Good Luck mate

• Like 1

Thank you Dave. That is just who I am. No-one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. It would be pointless to try and record my story if I only recorded the parts that I want to happen and not what really happens. As we all know life is not perfect and I would only be trying to fool myself when I look back on this journey if I didn't record the bad days as well.

Cheers Geoff13

I haven't mentioned that I have now been checked out on 2 Jabs, the J230 over the last couple of weeks I have gotten about 5 or 6 hours up in her. And today on the J160. I am not convinced that I really like either one, I understand that they are different to the Foxbat and accept that but even though they are much faster I am not sure that I enjoy flying either one as much as Foxy.

The positives are obviously the speed, the speed, and the speed.

Now please all the Jab people don't shoot me on this but the negatives to me are.

The heaviness of the controls both rudder and ailerons/elevators. I know rudder is something you really don't need to worry about much in the Foxbat, it is not that I have to use it that bothers me, but that it feels heavy.

The lack of travel of the trim. It always feels as though I can't trim for the best speed on base/final, always having to pull back on the controls. With Foxy I trim for 60, and if I need power to reach the threshold, I know that if I get the throttle back to the same place as before I applied power, then she will settle straight back to 60 with no input from me.

I certainly do not like the fuel system. It is very off putting when every time I am on downwind and check fuel the levels are so different. On one circuit the left tank is full, and the right at 1/4 when the next circuit it can be totally opposite. I really am struggling to come to grips with that and how quickly it can change, especially after the foxbat having a manual system and choosing myself when to change tanks as per the POH. I always feel uncomfortable when one tank is empty but we can still be drawing from that tank.

Both feel cramped to me, better in the legroom but cosy side by side and I seem to be ducking my head to look under the wing.

And lastly this is nit picking I know, but I really do not like the three point harness, I would much prefer the 4 point that is in the Foxbat.

Then there is the engines, the 6 in the J230 just seems to want to pick you up and throw you up there. :) Whilst in the J160 I wondered if we were ever actually going to get off the ground. :(.

I am being critical I know but these are my initial thoughts. I may change my mind after a bit more time in each one. We shall see.

Cheers Geoff13

Congratulations once again Geoff. I love the honesty in your posts/story to date.How you have felt the highs and lows of the flight training process. I can relate to all of it.

Its easier to get on here and boast about the great landing we did today and how accurate we were on our Navs blah blah blah, but rarely mention of our mistakes (everyone makes them. Its the only way to learn stuff). I didn't feel like a real pilot either, but am starting to move to that area now. I have a GA licence also with a CSU / Retract endorsement, but it does take a while to sink in, that I actually 'am' a pilot. I thought it should feel better LOL ! anyway, my friends class me as a pilot and the paperwork says it, so I guess we must be Pilots.

Keep writing and flying. We all know that you will only tell it as it is. Good Luck mate

With you on that Dave, . . . . although I still answer the question "Oh, so you're a PILOT then ? " with my classic response " Nah, just an Aerial Appliance Operator" I got that one from my old instructor mate David Squirrell at Berwick Vic, after he sent me solo in a DH82A, VH-TIG . . . One of the club members told me I'd be a "Real" pilot if I could fly that, and I was elated,. . . . right up until I lost it taxying in a crosswind without a wing man, and stuffed nose first it into a ditch . . . . . . . !! They changed " Pilot" to read. . . . "Pillock"

Phil

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

"Snip"

I know rudder is something you really don't need to worry about much in the Foxbat, it is not that I have to use it that bothers me, but that it feels heavy.

Cheers Geoff13

"Snip"Ok so I made this comment and was immediately picked up by one of my instructors on it. His comment was that he was surprised that several of the instructors on this forum hadn't chipped me about it and what was I thinking saying that you don't need to worry about the rudder in the Foxbat. He was correct of course and I worded the comment above poorly. It has taken me some time to come back and admit to it because being the sort of person I am I had to prove/disprove it to myself first.

How best to do that, I know, I will just go out and fly the darn thing without using the rudder. To easy. WRONG. So after a couple of hours of really concentrating on what I was actually doing with the rudder I admit yes he was totally correct. Now about 6 to 10 hrs further along I realise just how wrong I really was.

I think that the bonus from this is that now I am really more aware of the rudder work and concentrating on it far more than I was before. It is scary how quickly one can become over familiar with something to the point of not really being aware of it and taking it for granted.

P.S. I still think that the Jabiru rudders are really heavy and those small pedals make it even more difficult, but then I guess I have been spoiled.

Cheers Geoff13

On Saturday I hit the wall. It is a common term for marathon runners and I have done it physically many times. But on Saturday it was different. It was for me personally a very humbling experience. Let me explain.

This whole journey apart from that one week back in September when everything went wrong and I couldn't do anything right, has been for me a fairly painless experience. It has gone basically as I expected it should go given the time and the effort that myself, my instructors and everyone else involved with the school have put in to help me through it. For that I thank them all.

Now fast forward to Saturday. I have been progressing well and getting used to flying different aircraft. Saturday it was the turn of the Drifter. You know that cute little motorcycle with wings that everyone loves. How hard can that really be I hear you ask. Well let me explain.

I am afraid of heights. Not just a little bit but really afraid, in fact terrified. To the point that on my honeymoon when my lovely wife waltzed out onto the balcony of our 3rd or 4th floor motel room, me, her big tough soldier, had to sit on his bum and slide out with his back to the wall. I just turn to jelly when confronted with heights or spiders. It is illogical and crazy but it is who I am. Always have been and I guess always will be. I have done many things in my life to try and overcome my fear. Parachuting, Rock Climbing, Absailing all to no avail. It is there and I live with it. I thought when I first started flying that it would prevent me from succeeding but in a plane I have absolutely no problem. I feel as safe as walking across a bowling green.

So back to the Drifter. That simple little airplane with the pilots seat out the front. The minute that I sat in that seat it hit me. Here I was out front of everything. I couldn't see the wings, the wheels, the prop, the 2nd seat, nothing. It was like I was sitting in mid air and even though I was only 2 feet in the air I felt as though I was hanging off the edge of a precipice. I told my instructor how I was feeling and warned him that I could easily become incapable of doing anything so he would be ready. We taxied out did the run-ups and lined up on the runway.By now I was really worried that I may not be able to go through with this. Anyway the instructor talked me through it and we started off. I felt the tail come get airborne, and that was bad but the minute that the wheels left the ground I became totally useless. I told the instructor that he needed to take over, which he did immediately, he then did the one thing I didn't expect him to do. I felt certain that he would continue the takeoff and do a circuit and try and force me to face it. To his credit not only did he take over immediately but he had me back on the ground before I could take another breath. For that I shall remain eternally grateful. I think that had I been forced to sit through a full circuit I may never have come back.

Well we went over to the side of the runway where I had a break but I could not face getting back in the front seat. So being the good Samaritan he hopped in the front and we decided that we would try and do a circuit with me in the back seat. That was bearable but it was not fun. The whole time I kept projecting myself into the front seat, and didn't like what I saw. So back to the school for coffee cake and to pack up.

More to follow 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• Like 2

Geoff13, you impress me with your bravery and desire to fly despite your difficulties. I have had passengers with me that have had similar issues and I made every effort to get them down ASAP with a minimum of further fuss. Your courage has my full respect.

By the way, did you check out the Eurofox as a potential aircraft to suit your needs? I described it on a post you made some time ago concerning suitable RA-Aus/LSA aircraft with the carrying capacity & performance you felt you needed.

After a couple of hours break and a further briefing we decided to give it one more chance. Back out to the plane and Jim again offered to lead and let me sit in the back, but by now I had decided that if I didn't beat it then and there, it was going to beat me. So back into the front seat back out to the run-up pad and away we went. I wonder if the instructor realised that I flew for the next hour or however long it was with my eyes screwed shut. We got to the training area, did some straight and level, some turns some climbs and descents and a dummy landing approach at 2000'. Then back to the circuit. It was about when we turned base the first time that I think I was actually forced to open my eyes. I guess that I decided that if I wasn't going to tell the instructor that my eyes were still shut then I would probably need the to try and land this thing. Anyway a couple of circuits and back for more coffee and cake.

After a rest we went back out for another short session with a few circuits, which I managed to keep my eyes open for most of it.

Did I enjoy it? Not for one second. I was terrified the whole time. I did however spend enough time out there to come to grips with my fear. No I have not conquered it. No I have not mastered it and I expect the first flight this Saturday to be just as hard. But I now know that I can do it. I may never come to enjoy flying the Drifter but I will do it. At least to the point that I feel that I am competent.

Then and only then will I decide if I am going to continue with the Drifter.

Happily today I went and took the Foxbat for a little jaunt out to Kingaroy then Murgon and on to Gympie and home. None of Saturdays problems surfaced, I was just as comfortable and felt just as safe in the closed cabin as I have always felt. It is not logical I know but there it is.

So on Saturday I shall go and wrestle a few more demons and hopefully I shall win.

Cheers Geoff13

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

On Saturday I hit the wall. It is a common term for marathon runners and I have done it physically many times. But on Saturday it was different. It was for me personally a very humbling experience. Let me explain.This whole journey apart from that one week back in September when everything went wrong and I couldn't do anything right, has been for me a fairly painless experience. It has gone basically as I expected it should go given the time and the effort that myself, my instructors and everyone else involved with the school have put in to help me through it. For that I thank them all.

Now fast forward to Saturday. I have been progressing well and getting used to flying different aircraft. Saturday it was the turn of the Drifter. You know that cute little motorcycle with wings that everyone loves. How hard can that really be I hear you ask. Well let me explain.

I am afraid of heights. Not just a little bit but really afraid, in fact terrified. To the point that on my honeymoon when my lovely wife waltzed out onto the balcony of our 3rd or 4th floor motel room, me, her big tough soldier, had to sit on his bum and slide out with his back to the wall. I just turn to jelly when confronted with heights or spiders. It is illogical and crazy but it is who I am. Always have been and I guess always will be. I have done many things in my life to try and overcome my fear. Parachuting, Rock Climbing, Absailing all to no avail. It is there and I live with it. I thought when I first started flying that it would prevent me from succeeding but in a plane I have absolutely no problem. I feel as safe as walking across a bowling green.

So back to the Drifter. That simple little airplane with the pilots seat out the front. The minute that I sat in that seat it hit me. Here I was out front of everything. I couldn't see the wings, the wheels, the prop, the 2nd seat, nothing. It was like I was sitting in mid air and even though I was only 2 feet in the air I felt as though I was hanging off the edge of a precipice. I told my instructor how I was feeling and warned him that I could easily become incapable of doing anything so he would be ready. We taxied out did the run-ups and lined up on the runway.By now I was really worried that I may not be able to go through with this. Anyway the instructor talked me through it and we started off. I felt the tail come get airborne, and that was bad but the minute that the wheels left the ground I became totally useless. I told the instructor that he needed to take over, which he did immediately, he then did the one thing I didn't expect him to do. I felt certain that he would continue the takeoff and do a circuit and try and force me to face it. To his credit not only did he take over immediately but he had me back on the ground before I could take another breath. For that I shall remain eternally grateful. I think that had I been forced to sit through a full circuit I may never have come back.

Well we went over to the side of the runway where I had a break but I could not face getting back in the front seat. So being the good Samaritan he hopped in the front and we decided that we would try and do a circuit with me in the back seat. That was bearable but it was not fun. The whole time I kept projecting myself into the front seat, and didn't like what I saw. So back to the school for coffee cake and to pack up.

More to follow 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Welcome to the world of aviation.

Jimbo is a really good instructor especially in the Drifter. He loves them. I am sure with some more perseverance and Jim chatting in your ear you will Eventually come to grips with it. I would love to fly the drifter but at this stage I am just too heavy for the front seat. Maybe towards the end of next year I will get my chance if what may happen actually comes to fruition. Then I will have Jim (CUZ) in the back chatting me through it

Mark

Mark

When I started this journey I was 127 kgs. I have lost over 30 kgs and am now just able to get into the front seat. It has been a battle but I have linked the weight loss journey to my flying journey so that the two have become interconnected. That is 45 litres of fuel that I can carry now that I couldn't carry at the start. And I feel so much better for it. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 3
  • Winner 2