Gidday All. Had my first lesson today.

Geoff13

Guest Andys@coffs

My wife is a logical person who is scared of heights. I took her for a circuit in a trike which is pretty much same same as a drifter in terms of vulnerability to height issues....after about 30ft in the air after take off she closed her eyes and started making noises that reminded me of "Im gunna die any moment now" .....smallest circuit I ever did........felt like a right Pratt at the end thinking I could use logic and my voice assurances to counter an illogical fear.....all I did was make her miserable while in the air and damage self confidence afterwards....

She doesn't think heaps of the jabiru 230, but has done some long distance (4hr ) stuff taking photos and following navigation on the maps etc.......Bottom line is things like drifters and trikes are pretty much confronting for all first time up, I took her dad up who is an industrial electrician used to working at heights and in rigging gear and he was hugging me tightly and swearing from the back as I banked for the first time in the trike, after that he was ok but it was an interesting eye opener for me, at the time low hrs barely qualified.

So don't be hard on yourself, that thin aluminium or fibreglass that makes up the airframe of the more traditional trainers makes all the illogical difference in the world.......That drifters (or trikes or anything else open cockpit) may not be your thing is not the end of the world....

Andy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geoff

I have battled weight all my life and since getting full on type 2 diabetes back in the late 90's its a uphill battle. I have been on insulin for around 5 years now and all it does is put on weight as anything you put into your mouth gets stored as fat and its a constant battle trying not to eat carbs and keeping under 700 to 1000 calories a day which I do but I just don't lose any real weight. My heart issues 2 years ago bought it all to a head. I asked the heart surgeon why all three of my arteries were 90% blocked...was it because I have been a fat bastard all my life and I have smoked since I was 15...his comment was "that didn't help but what got you my friend was long term out of control diabetes why do you think we have been pushing the diabetes wheelbarrow for so long most people do not realise how bad it is for you"

So still with the diabetes its a big issue my local Dr has been pushing me to have a gastric bypass as it does drastically reduce diabetes symptoms and levels as the bottom part of your stomach produces the enzymes that drive my liver to be a sugar factory. I got a band in about 8 years ago and I lost around 35kg but thats where it stopped and the diabetes still kept rising even though I had lost the weight. The major issue is that heart bypasses usually last around 15 years but with my condition I will be lucky if they last 5 years or even less and they can only do you twice as you then run out of your own spare parts. So I am booked in to see gorgeous George (George Hopkins) on the 16th of January to see what the score is and maybe but it depends on the damage the band has done as longterm there are issues with them and I am starting to have trouble now with shoulder tip pain and bad reflux. There is a gastric sleeve and a gastric bypass the bypass is 90% successful with diabetics and the sleeve is only about 40% but because I have the band the sleeve will be out anyway as it can't be done usually if you had a band.

So if it all goes ahead then I could be down to 80kg and be a bag of bones and hopefully off insulin and be giving my ticker a rest. Then of course Drifter here we come :)

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Hi Geoff.

Mate, thanks for the frank and open discussions on how you have been feeling during the various stages of your training. It really helps your Instructor (and other instructors that listen) if he/she knows how your feeling about something. The most difficult student to 'read' is a quiet one.

I have been watching this thread with interest, and I noticed your comments re the rudder, but being a forum what usually happens when an instructor offers some sort of "advice" is it gets picked to pieces by every man and his dog who ever sat in an aeroplane. So lately there hasnt been much practical advice given by some of us.

With all that in mind. I have a question. Why have you flown so many types? I couldnt think of more different aircraft types, The foxbat to a J230, then onto a 160 and a drifter.

My concern would be that without fundamentals being "programmed" in first, you could be wasting a fair amount of emotional and financial fee's (so to speak)

Having experience on different types is a fantastic thing, and should be encouraged. IMHO, this should only be incorporated AFTER you have a good solid skill platform in one type.

Thats just my opinion by the way, so please dont get me in the poo with your instructor...lol..

• Agree 2

Very honest stuff. Regarding the "height scary" thing, I can never lean over a balcony and don't even like standing near a full glass window of a multi story pub.

I wondered about the drifter but in my case it was just great. Different for sure and as you say you can't see any of the things you are used to seeing and there's not much under you, it presents a challenge.

You are not alone in not coping. Plenty of others are the same. It's not compulsory to fly it, so fly something else. If you aren't comfortable you won't enjoy it or fly well.

The trim on the 230 is as you describe. Means you can't cruise at max speed and also you will be holding some back stick pressure on slow(er) approaches. It's not a lot and it's not a bad technique anyhow, as long as you don't wheelbarrow it.

Heavy controls. OK They could be better but you will find worse if you fly a lot of types.

It isn't the force you put on something . It's the effect of MOVING the control that matters so do what is needed to MAKE the plane do what you want. You should be using rudder very positively in Light aircraft and always fly balanced unless intentionally sideslipping.

Don't let the plane fly you but don't overcontrol either. Enjoy the differences, rather than be too concerned about some "less than perfect" aspects of a plane. There are some real DOGS. and there are some nice old pussycats like the GAZELLE. which has to be the easiest plane to fly ever. Nev

• Like 1

Geoff

The choise of aircraft is an "individual" thing and obviously go with whatever you are more comfortable with. The point I will mention with reference to fuel levels varying so much is related to the other point you raised - use of rudder. When flying "in balance" in the 230 etc the fuel burn is even. Even if you let it get out of balance then opposite rudder (even as little half a ball) for a few minutes will fix that problem.

• Informative 1

Guest Andys@coffs

I agree with Frank, in my 230 fuel gauges are just sight glasses so you do see the effects of out of balance. Being an electronics tech you know you could solve that problem with damping....but to me that's a solution to a problem that is more to do with your stage of learning than a fundamental issue.

Andy

Btw did my last bfr in a foxbat. Hated it......just different

GeoffI have battled weight all my life and since getting full on type 2 diabetes back in the late 90's its a uphill battle. I have been on insulin for around 5 years now and all it does is put on weight as anything you put into your mouth gets stored as fat and its a constant battle trying not to eat carbs and keeping under 700 to 1000 calories a day which I do but I just don't lose any real weight. My heart issues 2 years ago bought it all to a head. I asked the heart surgeon why all three of my arteries were 90% blocked...was it because I have been a fat bastard all my life and I have smoked since I was 15...his comment was "that didn't help but what got you my friend was long term out of control diabetes why do you think we have been pushing the diabetes wheelbarrow for so long most people do not realise how bad it is for you"

So still with the diabetes its a big issue my local Dr has been pushing me to have a gastric bypass as it does drastically reduce diabetes symptoms and levels as the bottom part of your stomach produces the enzymes that drive my liver to be a sugar factory. I got a band in about 8 years ago and I lost around 35kg but thats where it stopped and the diabetes still kept rising even though I had lost the weight. The major issue is that heart bypasses usually last around 15 years but with my condition I will be lucky if they last 5 years or even less and they can only do you twice as you then run out of your own spare parts. So I am booked in to see gorgeous George (George Hopkins) on the 16th of January to see what the score is and maybe but it depends on the damage the band has done as longterm there are issues with them and I am starting to have trouble now with shoulder tip pain and bad reflux. There is a gastric sleeve and a gastric bypass the bypass is 90% successful with diabetics and the sleeve is only about 40% but because I have the band the sleeve will be out anyway as it can't be done usually if you had a band.

So if it all goes ahead then I could be down to 80kg and be a bag of bones and hopefully off insulin and be giving my ticker a rest. Then of course Drifter here we come :)

Kyle

I have 2 friends who have had the gastric bypass surgery. It is not for everyone and it certainly has some down sides. However having said that one of these guys was 210 kgs 18 months ago and almost dead (and that is not an exaggeration). Today he is 120 kgs and planning on being between 80 and 90 within 12 months. They say if he can get to 100 they will do the tummy tuck etc and he should lose nearly 10 more in that process.

The other guy was 170 kgs and has lost 30 in 3 months. Both men have no regrets and would do the same thing again given the choice but both say they should have done it 20 years ago. Like I say there are side effects but both these men manage those and are happy to have them given the alternatives especially in one case.

Both guys were insulin dependent before the op and both are now insulin free. Both are also truckies and one of those was given the choice of doing something or having his licence pulled because of sleep aphnea (spelling).

In my own case I have no magic formula or anything else other than the simple fact that energy in must be less than energy out to lose weight. That meant cutting portion sizes, cutting junk food, cutting sugar drinks and coffee and starting an exercise program. For me the exercise side of my plan has been the most positive. I look forward to my daily walks and get grumpy when work gets in the way of that which it does from time to time.

Cheers Geoff13

Hi Geoff.Mate, thanks for the frank and open discussions on how you have been feeling during the various stages of your training. It really helps your Instructor (and other instructors that listen) if he/she knows how your feeling about something. The most difficult student to 'read' is a quiet one.

I have been watching this thread with interest, and I noticed your comments re the rudder, but being a forum what usually happens when an instructor offers some sort of "advice" is it gets picked to pieces by every man and his dog who ever sat in an aeroplane. So lately there hasnt been much practical advice given by some of us.

With all that in mind. I have a question. Why have you flown so many types? I couldnt think of more different aircraft types, The foxbat to a J230, then onto a 160 and a drifter.

My concern would be that without fundamentals being "programmed" in first, you could be wasting a fair amount of emotional and financial fee's (so to speak)

Having experience on different types is a fantastic thing, and should be encouraged. IMHO, this should only be incorporated AFTER you have a good solid skill platform in one type.

Thats just my opinion by the way, so please dont get me in the poo with your instructor...lol..

motzartmerv I will try to answer your question and it is a very good question. Firstly let me say I know that I haven't been doing this for very long. In fact just under 6 months. I have however done a lot of flying in that time. Well at least I think I have for a recreational pilot. Before I started flying different aircraft, I had 80 hrs up of which 50 of that was as PIC. Why so much so quick, well 8 months ago I had a fairly frank discussion with a Doctor who to put it bluntly told me it was pointless doing any more tests because if we got the worst result it was to late to help me. So his suggestion was to spend the next 6 months getting my affairs in order then come back for a review and if nothing has changed than you have nothing to worry about. Well the 6 months has been and gone as have the symptoms so I have jumped that hurdle. It did however make me take stock of what is valuable in your life.

So to the different aircraft. I picked the Foxbat to learn in because to put it bluntly, at 127 kgs when I started I was to fat to fit in anything else with reasonable comfort and full tanks and for what I wanted I needed full tanks. I stuck with the foxbat until I had my certificate, mt pax endo and my cross country endo and 50 hours solo. By then I had lost 20 plus kgs, which opened up several new aircraft to me.

My short term aim is to buy my own aircraft, I have a dream and to achieve it I will need my own aircraft. No-one is going to hire an aircraft to a low hour pilot to do what I want to do. So before buying to be fair to myself, I need to fly several aircraft.

The Jabirus because they were there and because they do throw a whole heap of different challenges to me. Of course the Jabs are actually more accessible where I fly it seems that the Foxbat is a very popular with the students.

The drifter because it is so different plus it gives me a feel for tail wheel. And it looks like a lot of fun although I haven't found that yet.

I have also been up in a couple of different sportstars and a skyleader, although not to the point of soloing in them. I felt I would be robbing myself if I purchased a plane without actually flying in a low wing first.

I do love the low wings and will probably buy one eventually, but for my short term goal it would probably be more practical to go with a high wing with some sort of short field/rough field capability.

I understand that trying different aircraft at this stage could be detrimental, however I am still flying the Foxbat as often as I can, at least 3-5 hours per week with at least half that time in the training area practicing my basics. I have found that by flying different aircraft, I am actually spending far more time with instructors in the right hand seat than if I were just going out on my own or with friends etc so I really am learning so much more than I would on my own.

As for the emotional and financial fees, I have had the emotional in abundance over the last 8 months so a bit more can't hurt 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif, and the financial I have buried a lot of friends over the last few years, and the one thing that I have never seen at the cemetery is an ATM.

So yes I do value your comments and I take note of them. I do hope however that if my instructors feel that I am overdoing it, then they will step up and tell me so. Also once I do decide on a plane then it is going to get some use over the next few months.

Cheers Geoff13

• Like 1

GeoffThe choise of aircraft is an "individual" thing and obviously go with whatever you are more comfortable with. The point I will mention with reference to fuel levels varying so much is related to the other point you raised - use of rudder. When flying "in balance" in the 230 etc the fuel burn is even. Even if you let it get out of balance then opposite rudder (even as little half a ball) for a few minutes will fix that problem.

I agree with Frank, in my 230 fuel gauges are just sight glasses so you do see the effects of out of balance. Being an electronics tech you know you could solve that problem with damping....but to me that's a solution to a problem that is more to do with your stage of learning than a fundamental issue.Andy

Btw did my last bfr in a foxbat. Hated it......just different

I believe you are both totally correct. I am sure it had much more to do with me than it did with the plane. Obviously thinking that I was perfect:oh yeah:I hadn't considered that it could be a problem of my own doing. Next time that I am out in one of them I shall take note and try to get out of balance either way and watch the effect. As I say I am sure you are right now that I think about it and was probably being a bit harsh with my comments.

Cheers Geoff13

Wow Geoff. I'm glad things took a turn for the better mate. Thanks for sharing so openly mate.

I didn't realise you had so much time up. I was under the impression you were still early days , hence the remarks regarding the multiple types.

Sounds like your having a ball and getting some good experience up :))

Of your ever near te sth coast, look me up mate.

Cheers

• Like 1

You seem to be doing great Geoff, the main thing is the enjoyment factor:thumb up:

If the drifter doesn't do it for you don't overdo it "trying" to get to like it. There are plenty of other options and there is no point disheartening yourself for no great gain.

If you are ever down through this way give me a yell, would be more than happy to take you for a fly in the hornet:spot on:

• Like 1

See if you can access a Zlin Savage Cub or a Carbon cub or any Cub (Supercub, preferred of the originals) and do a bit of gentle aeros. At least sideslipping and short landings. Not the exaggerated stuff with bigwheels and exotic flaps . There's a Decathlon at Lethbridge..Nev

• Like 1

OK so day 2 "in" or is that "on" the Drifter on Saturday. Butterflies all week but that is nothing to worry about really. So Saturday morning dawns bleak and gray but I went out to the airfield anyway hoping to get some seat time. It was as I expected, not to pretty with showers all around. We did another briefing and had a couple of cuppas and finally around 1100 the sky cleared enough to have a bit of a go. Out onto the broomstick, taxi out, do some run ups then off we go. Jim asked how I felt and what I wanted to try today so I thought why not try that first lesson that failed so badly last week.

We got off the ground and out to the training area with no unwanted panic. Bit of straight and level and some shallow turns to get the feel of things and then into some steep turns. All went pretty well even if I do say so myself. After about the 3rd or 4th figure 8 Jim asked what I thought of the view looking down the wing during the steep turns, so I thought that on the next one I might actually open my eyes and have a bit of a look around. I was actually quite fine and decided that if Jim thought I was ready then I would try a few stalls and recoveries. After all I need to be able to do that if I am going to master this thing. Once again I think they went fairly well and although I was not yet enjoying myself, I was starting to thing finally that I may yet come to master this contraption.

Back to the circuit and another break before heading out again to do some circuit practice. I don't have the flare down pat yet, I think that once again I may need a little audible alarm fitted that goes off as we cross the threshold, just to remind me to open my eyes. Anyway I guess it was far better than last week.

So a couple of Questions for myself.

Am I enjoying this:- Yes I am certainly enjoying the challenge of overcoming my fear and of learning the new aircraft. I am not yet however actually enjoying the

flying out in front of the plane with no visible support bit.

Can I beat the fear:- Probably not but I am fairly sure that I can control it rather than letting it control me.

Will I actually enjoy flying the Drifter:- To early to tell yet but I think that possibly once the challenge of mastering it is done then I may not continue with it.

I will however continue until I can fly it to my own satisfaction. Who knows after a few more hours it may win me over.

I have another lesson next week and a couple more the week after. I shall see how I feel after those as the school closes for a couple of weeks for Christmas an I will reevaluate my progress then.

Of one thing I am absolutely certain. I have far more respect now than I have ever had before for witches. They ride around on brooms all day without so much as a safety belt. Well Played Witches Well Played!

Cheers Geoff13

• Like 2

Another day out on Harry Potters Nimbus 2000 today, oh sorry I did mean the drifter but it still looks like a broom from where I sit. Another atrocious day weather wise, but surprisingly enough I actually started to enjoy myself today. I am still sure that when Jim gets out and leaves me on my own then I am likely to land right on the nose of the thing at 60 knots. That will be because at the moment I am actually coming in judging my speed by the wind in my face and with my eyes closed. It is like I can feel Jim tensing up on the stick just before he takes control and the seems to be my cue to open my eyes and start the flare.

No seriously today was fun. The weather was crap strong gusting winds, cross winds at that and by rights should have been a terrible day for flying. It was like turn Base and the thing was stopping, wait for it to drop to 700 feet then stick a bit of power on to get it moving far enough to turn final and down we go. But strangely enough I was having a ball and at no stage today did I feel like I was not in total control of myself and the aircraft. I must admit that I have been fairly spoiled by doing everything so quickly I have got very little crosswind experience. The weather in general has been very kind to me, I had the basics but not much real time practice. So today was so busy. 2 Stroke, High Drag, Low Power, Tailwheel and Cross Wind all at the same time. So busy, so much to think about and so much fun. Ooops did I just say fun.

On to side slipping, well that was just great had a ball with that as well. So the sight picture,

I sort of have this down pat now. It is so simple, this will not work for everyone but with my height this is how you fly the Drifter with your eyes closed.

On taxi stick back till you put power on then stick central the tailwheel comes up and you can just feel your wind hitting the tip of your nose. Just as your nose starts to get cold back on the stick and up she goes. Now hold the stick position so that the breeze is hitting that little spot between the top of the googles and the edge of the helmet. With the breeze there Jim is quite so climb speed must be ok. Just as it starts to get cold you must be around 1000 feet so stick forward until the breeze is ruffling the moustache and power back and trim. cool straight and level. Take a guess at the threshold, nose down until the breeze is hitting your neck and hold that attitude till you feel Jim tense then flare the airplane. Easy as. Next week I promise I will open my eyes. Cheers Geoff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You ARE a bit naughty Geoff. IF you aren't having a bit of a lend of us you sure look as if you are. Anyhow you appear to be having a slight appreciation of what is actually quite a pleasant aeroplane. Let me know when you start down the strip with the helmet visor still up. Keep the wind coming from the front (Unless you are sideslipping) and be gentle on the pipe things with the wheels at the bottom. Nev

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh Nev you must mean those round black bouncy things. I am convinced that they are the only thing keeping my bum off the ground, one must be gentle with those.

Well I made my biggest mistake since starting on this contraption on Saturday, note I still think of it as being on rather thanin. I happened to mention to Jim that I actually managed to see my own shadow as I was turning downwind. Well that seemed to be his cue to pull power and force me to get the thing on the ground as soon as possible. Well no sooner had we hit the ground then he jumped out mumbling something about since you have your eyes open I am out of here before you give yourself another fright. With that he walked away and left me to it.

Not much more that I can say really, the several hours that I have spent getting to know the Nimbus 2000 have presented me with some enormous personal challenges along with those that came with learning low power, high drag, tail wheel, two stroke. It has been terrifying on a personal level, challenging both personally and technically, exciting, fun ( hmm not so much) but I will admit extremely rewarding. Three weeks ago I don't think either Jim or I thought we would achieve what we did on Saturday, but we have. I am glad that I stuck with it this far, but I am not yet convinced that the Drifter will ever become my broom of chioce.

But then on the other hand, anyone for a game of Quiddich.

• Like 1

Well I guess congratulations are in order.. It's not like lifting weights though. If you did it all again but RELAXED, you would iron out any apprehension(s). One should always retain a healthy respect for the job being undertaken, (committing aviation) a certain UNTENSING makes the finer points of the flying machjne you have been siting on, more pleasant and enjoyable. it's certainly not a dog to fly, and IS a unique experience for sure. Nev

Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying flying the plane. The tailwheel is great and an excellent challange. What i am not enjoying is the personal challange with myself everytime I have to mount the thing. The fear of heights is always present and I question whether the struggle to overcome that is fairly balanced by the pleasure of the flight. Also knowing that it will take me many hours before I will become proficent to my own standards makes me question the will to continue with it. The fact is I can get in any other aircraft without that struggle and enjoy the pleasure of flight makes it more difficult.

Well I also said earlier on that it isn't a requirement to cope with it. I have been flying all my life and can't stand heights, but have done aerobatics in Chippies and Tiger moths amongst other things. Hanging in the straps in the Tiger occasionally doesn't impress , but You have to trust a good harness. It's mostly psychological. My wife hates spiders but I don't play spider tricks with her. She may never change and the concern to her is real. Nev

Yep you are correct. It is real and we live with these things. I dont do spiders either but that is a story for another time.

Spiders,lightbulbs and gutters in our house are a Pink Job.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the looking, dreaming, procrastinating are all over. Tomorrow I fly south with the aim of picking up my own airplane:plane:. Thursday is a get to know you day with Friday planned for the journey home. That allows me a couple of free days if things don't work out how I plan. Must allow for weather, bad manners, and other things as well. The Direct route is 440 miles but the track I have planned is closer to 600. This allows me plenty of rest breaks, with no leg being longer than an hour in good conditions and allowing up to 10kts of headwind. It also allows me to totally avoid any tiger country, I think better to keep away from that stuff until we get to know each other much better. The forecast for Thurs-Fri is good turning a bit sour down south by lunch time, but hopefully I should be back this side of the border by then. This has brought on a whole new level of excitement. jive.gif.035c4a81724c712198cdb1757d6fb926.gif

The weirdest thing is that after poring over adverts for over 6 months, I have only seen one of these aircraft advertised and that is the one I have bought. Today I got the engineers pre-purchase report and bugger me if tonight I don't see another one advertised. Strangely enough it is at the same airfield as two of the three other aircraft on my short list, so had it been advertised a week ago I would have gone and looked at it as well. So possibly not a lot of sleep tonight and plenty to think about and do. I have a copy of the POH so plenty to read between now and Thursday morning.

• Like 2

So I got home from holidays and tried to concentrate on doing my cross country endo. It seemed that things were all running against me. Cancellations due to weather. Delays due to a bird strike on the plane. So I broke my own rule of not trying to fly a different plane just so I could get my navs out of the way with terrible results. I walked away 2 weeks ago thinking I had lost the plot and would never come to grips with it.When I got home, my darling wife who has sat on the back of a motorcycle with me for hundreds of thousands of kilometers over the last 30 plus years reminded me of what I said to her a 100 times 2 years ago when she finally decided to get her bike licence and go out on her own.

"Remember Geoff you are doing this for fun. When it stops being fun, stop doing it"

What wise words. I stepped back, waited for Foxy to get back in the air, did my penance of flying around, under, and near restricted and controlled airspace because last time I tried to take the CFI into restricted airspace not once, not twice, but three times, and he wanted to be certain that I had gotten the message. Apparently the message has been received because since then I have done my solo nav and today I did the cross country exam.

The forecast was great but visibility was at best not brilliant due to haze. It made spotting things difficult but apparently I did ok because I passed. Today was stressful but fun. It feels as though I really am now qualified to fly.

I don't know why but I really felt after my first solo, and even after gaining my pilots certificate, that I hadn't yet reached my goal of being able to fly. Even the day that I spent taking my wife and both children for a fly around Bribie Island and the Glass House Mountains I felt flat and as though the job was not finished. Today was to me the pinnacle. Tonight I feel the way I expected to feel after that first solo and after getting my certificate. Tonight I feel great as though I have achieved my goal.

My TIF was on Friday 13 June (black Friday what a good day). I was actually born on A Black Friday so it has always been special to me. So today 3.5 months later with 44 hours dual and 22 hours solo, I feel that I have arrived. Today I feel great. Today that little boy who 50 years ago as a 5 year old watched some amazing person land a plane on the claypan behind the local sawmill in Yelarbon, fuel up from fuel bludged from the locals and fly away again. Today that child achieved the dream that was born that day. Today I gained the right to fly to the horizons and beyond. I thank everyone who has helped me on this journey, some of those people are on this forum. My darling wife who gave the perfect advice on the worst days, my instructors for their tolerance and guidance.

Maybe just maybe, one day I will land somewhere, and a little boy holding his fathers hand behind a fence will look at me and say, one day I will do that and live long enough and work hard enough to actually do it. I just wish my Dad was still alive because 50 years ago I remember as clear as though it was yesterday when I told him that one day that will be me, his response was, and when you do son I will be your first passenger. Today Dad you rode on my shoulder, all the way. Thank You.

Cheers Geoff13

Yesterday whilst flying my own plane home from Orange I overflew Yelarbon. Well my planned track was from Goondiwindi to Dalby so I could not let this chance go by. The attached photo is the Yelarbon sawmill and the claypan behind it where the dream started 50 years ago taken from 3500 feet. What I wouldn't give to land there one day. And before anyone says it I know the hoops needed to be jumped through would not be worth it. Besides that the trees at the western end (top of shot) are 50 years taller then they were back then. And the standard of runway would be beyond my current skill level. But one can always dream. You can actually still see the fence line that we were leaning on between the Mill and the clay pan.732336350_milllanding.jpg.0cf10c3f52a12b5ef1eebf334d0e8102.jpg

• Like 2
  • Winner 1