New To West Oz

Jehtie

Hi All,

I’m newly obsessed with micro-lights and I’m looking to take the plunge over here in West Oz. I’ve got about 20 hours of G.A. under my belt and am very looking forward to changing to the dark side (or the light side depending on which way you want to look at it).

One of my mates and I, who is getting into it as well, have realised after talking with Gordon from Sky Sports that renting a microlight is just not the done thing; so we’re going to take our time with the training before parting ways on a hefty wad of green for a second hand one in about ten months or so.

Looking forward to heading cross country and taking up the wife. Definitely keen to have a crack at taking along the swag, parking up and enjoying the outback.

Cheers,

Jehtie

• Like 3

Hi All,I’m newly obsessed with micro-lights and I’m looking to take the plunge over here in West Oz. I’ve got about 20 hours of G.A. under my belt and am very looking forward to changing to the dark side (or the light side depending on which way you want to look at it).

One of my mates and I, who is getting into it as well, have realised after talking with Gordon from Sky Sports that renting a microlight is just not the done thing; so we’re going to take our time with the training before parting ways on a hefty wad of green for a second hand one in about ten months or so.

Looking forward to heading cross country and taking up the wife. Definitely keen to have a crack at taking along the swag, parking up and enjoying the outback.

Cheers,

Jehtie

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Jehtie!

I hope you enjoy your aviating and your time on this Forum 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif.

All you need to do now is to select a suitable avatar. Something like this perhaps:

1083493889_Yeti1.jpg.41e5a4ab95bcec097a7e52817bbf3b26.jpg

Hi All,I’m newly obsessed with micro-lights and I’m looking to take the plunge over here in West Oz. I’ve got about 20 hours of G.A. under my belt and am very looking forward to changing to the dark side (or the light side depending on which way you want to look at it).

Cheers,

Jehtie

Hi and welcome Jehtie.

Just a thought, your wife and a swag won't fit on a microlight, best leave her indoors hey.043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

cheers

Rick

• Like 1

Hi and welcome Jehtie.Just a thought, your wife and a swag won't fit on a microlight, best leave her indoors hey.043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

cheers

Rick

Hi Rick,

I've got to justify the spend of a two seater to her somehow :-) And a new swag. I'd probably ask for a new fridge too, but I reckon she would cotton on that. She's quite clever at maths, and the weights just don't add up :-)

Cheers.

• Like 2

Cheers,

Jehtie

Jehtie, take it that you are starting off in RAAus as a student out at WGF? Interested in why you have commented about not renting aircraft? None available? Expensive? My advice would be to visit several flying schools and try as many types as you can, (dual), before any thought of buying one. When you have settled on a couple of finalists - then try to rent them for a trip away to see how they suit what you've got in mind.

happy days,

Jehtie, take it that you are starting off in RAAus as a student out at WGF? Interested in why you have commented about not renting aircraft? None available? Expensive? My advice would be to visit several flying schools and try as many types as you can, (dual), before any thought of buying one. When you have settled on a couple of finalists - then try to rent them for a trip away to see how they suit what you've got in mind.happy days,

Thanks Poteroo,

That is sound advice. Gordon from WGF mentioned that it is not possible to rent out as soloist. There is a thread on this forum that basically puts it down to insurance. However, as you mentioned, I will try my best to try a few different types with someone else to see what is suitable. Do you know what schools have what particular aircraft? Sky Sports are an agent for Airborne, so I would assume they wouldn't have anything else.

Obviously, if there are any friendly flyers who want to take up a passenger over here in W.A. then by all means!003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Cheers

I wanted a trike before I went 3-axis but couldn't find one to solo in. You were "expected" to have purchased one by the time you went solo.

I thought bugger that and went RAA aircraft....My instructor commented that he got a lot of students "on the rebound" from trike schools because they wouldn't let them solo in the schools trike.

Not sure if your asking about renting trikes or aircraft? There are plenty of RAA aircraft to rent.

You can't rent trikes.

Hadn't picked that up. My reading skills must be on the slippery decline! Also, as I know nought about trikes - I retract the advice.......

I wanted a trike before I went 3-axis but couldn't find one to solo in. You were "expected" to have purchased one by the time you went solo.I thought bugger that and went RAA aircraft....My instructor commented that he got a lot of students "on the rebound" from trike schools because they wouldn't let them solo in the schools trike.

Not sure if your asking about renting trikes or aircraft? There are plenty of RAA aircraft to rent.

Thanks Downunder,

I'm definitely interested in Trikes. I've done a fair bit of training in G.A. so I would continue with that if I was going to do 3-axis. The allure for me is the cost of running price tag, mobility, fuel and simply having the wind in your face.

I've done a rough calculation below on what I anticipate the costs of flying a trike would be. I would love to hear from other members what they think regarding costs... (It's all part of the sell to my wife... I'm sure you understand 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif)

$2340 of fuel (12litres per hour at $1.50 at 5 hours per fortnight)

$5000 of maintenance per year ($2,500 if my mate and I go halves)

$20,000 for a second hand trike ($10,000 if my mate and I go halves)

$500 for membership and landing fees

$1600 for hangering or secure storage ($800 if my mate and I go halves)

(Subtotal = $29440)

VS

$250 per hour G.A. aircraft hire (conservative)

$40 landing fees (two landings, different airports / aerodromes)

(Subtotal= $290 per hour)

29440/290

(TOTAL=101.5 hours)

Therefore, flying a trike is cheaper after 40.6 weeks of flying one at 5 hours a fortnight.

Another factor is mobility and fuel. I particularly want to get into trikes as I see it as an extension of camping (i.e. taking it on a trailer if required). I was at Uluru and Kings Canyon a couple of years ago thinking how amazing it would be to go for a flight in the morning after breakfast to start the day.

Honestly, can you beat stumbling out of tent, having a quick tubs, stoking the fire, eating a bit of burnt toast with a billy boiled coffee? Then fueling up, out of a can(!), gearing up and flying out for the morning sights with the wind and the sun in your face?

I guess at the end of the day, we're all after different things, but this is what I envisage is the pinnacle of life until a new challenge comes along. In saying that, I suspect that there is a mastery that can never be achieved in flying a trike and new challenges await anyone willing to fly off in a different direction.

(If anyone is keen to embark on a trip flying across the Mongolian Steppes, let me know!... Maybe I'm too engrossed in 'Long Way Round' and 'Long Way Down')

Oh... the other big point... I've heard that flying a trike is as close to riding a motorbike than any other form... thoughts anyone?

Cheers!

Mongolian-Steppe.jpg.fbaa5e2af172d4190cbaf44237470503.jpg

I did do a TIF in a trike and it is like a 3 dimentional motor bike ride.

I do know of a RAA instructor with a trike. I'll pm you his details. He may let you solo but I'm not sure.

Maybe the best option is to get your RAA 3 axis then get a trike conversion.

Greetings Jehtie

In case you aren't aware, members of SLAC, a multi-disciplined club (fixed wing, weight shift, gyro copter, motor glider) fly off Bindoon airstrip about 85kms north of Perth and a visit up there any weekend when the wind isn't across the runway at +20 knots is bound to get you a flip in any of the first three categories of flying machines. Am out of the country on vacation at present so can't give you any contact phone numbers but a drive up there (right turn at the top of Bindoon hill and about three Km along Dewars Pool Road will get you to the airstrip gate. Wander in and introduce yourself to Burgie (trike driver) or anybody from Top Fun and they'll make you welcome. Good to have you aboard the forum. cheers Riley