Movies

Guest brentc

Good question. I wondered that myself some time ago. I found it very amusing, especially when he did the Fred Flintstone move, took out the seat and used his legs as the undercarriage. I hired that movie a couple of years back for a laugh.

I found this on google.

'I do know the aeroplane was actually custom-made for the movie by the film studios. In fact, it now hangs in the ceiling of a restaurant (owned by the company) in Bloemfontein,

South Africa.'

The "flying" airplane is a customization of an original factory 2-seatLazair II aircraft made by Ultraflight of Port. Colbourne, Canada(Lazairs are no longer being produced). In the movie they used a realflying plane, a mock-up of the fuselage, and a flying RC model.

It's a shame that they don't make these planes as a kit, the fred flinstone manouvre would be a real bonus for those rough outfeild landings, and the ability to land them in trees would be good for flying over tiger country.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Great movies. where ever i go people ask me where they can buy one. sorry mate your 20 years to late. But you can pick up a mint series 111 in the USA and ship it here for less than 10 grand, jigs and tooling are in storage, but small groups of owners are building all the major components D Cells from Canada and undercarraige parts from Utah I was amazed at the support that is out there for Lazairs. There are over a thousand still flying in Canada. and as it is a FAR103 in the USA no firm numbers can be established but they are possibly more. every now and again someone comes across new unbuilt kits. Only about 30 of these made it here.

ozzie

Ozzie, you list your aircraft as a Lazair, if you have one does it look like the plane in the movie and if it does can you put a picture of it in these threads. It was one of the coolest looking planes around:keen:, I think it is the two engines that do it for me.

hi, i do have a series one that i rebuilt recently. it has a few factory upgrades as well. i will add some photos when i get back to Sydney and onto my PC. in the meantime go to www.lazair.com photos and vids there or find the two lazair sites at yahoo groups. some clips also at youtube search for lazair. the twin engines are great except when you lose one on takeoff. they also sound great when you unsync the props. the clear mylar wing covering gives it a great shadow on the ground just a bare skeleton. shame those stupid rego numbers spoil it. they can be seen from below, above and in the shadow. they are great for thermalling, ridge soaring or just fence hopping. i now have to find another friendly farmer as the place i was using has been fenced off for development. this is the third site i've lost in two years due to the same company. buying up then fencing it off with the usual signage. ho hum.

ozzie

Shame about the loss of your airstrip, it always seems just as things are going just fine, someone is there to spoil your day, it would be great to catch up with you when I get my plane finally finished, not to far now. (I hope). Good luck and thanks all for the replies Brian

Just a few photos of different lazairs.

the one with Police on the side served with a police dept for several years with good results. if you like two engines then this version will spin middo right out. and the last is mine during its rebuild.

the site i just lost was the old Greta army/immigation site, they now intend to build a city over the next 15 years.

ozzie

index.jpg.fbc84fbd77112a4765f492d5b75fb553.jpg

laza001.jpg.f1dafeca5d68c9018b9fceac129d5deb.jpg

994003288_ozzieslazairrebuild.jpg.654743397e7596d0f82fd19cdcdb9d7d.jpg

The middle one was an Aussie Lazair, photo taken at Narromine. was asked to leave shortly after arriving. exported to Portugal by the builder. bit of a silly mod as it would run out of 'rudder' real quick and the series one wings not meant to be driven along at it's vne all the time. the cockpit and gear are great but need the bigger engines for the extra weight.

Are you anywhere near Strathwan ,Chris?

Ozzie

Chris, the place was actually Strathewen. it looks n/e melbourne, if anyone is interested in obtaining a lazair then a retired pilot has 3 in storage there. could pick them up real cheap. pm for contact details. i hate to see them rot

ozzie

my lazair is 38' wingspan 143sq ft, 73kg empty, 2x100cc 11hp total (maybe) 70lbs static thrust, estimate 13/1 LD 150fpm sink, climb 150fpm maybe, stall 18/20mph, vne 55 cruise 35, flat chat 40/45. 4/5lts hr flat chat. be carefull what thermal you pick on, needs spoilers. my wt about 70kg with chute, flys nice with engines off but have to land to restart. best to land deadstick anyway(lots of float )185cc versions cruise at more respectable 55mph but can weigh about 60kg more. with higher sink ect but can maintain on one dependent on pilot wgt. i prefer to go light. good cheap fun for those perfect days. i don't treat it as a 'cross country' machine but gee i have a hell of a time going no where. personal best hight gain of 3000ft, ridge soaring is fun. have you heard of 'blue cow' ? it's a bit like red bull. (sshh) looking forward to the persitant westerlies departing and actually getting out of bed early enough to do a dawn patrol on the ballons. almost finished some factory updates to increase the G rating and putting camera mounts and small 6 inch lcd screen. Then go and do some of that ultralighting stuff.

i uploaded some of my lazair videos to www.lazair.com. titled old lazair flick on home page.(it's really good)

ozzie

some have little skids and the later have castoring tail wheels and shorter tail, avoid sealed strips!!. even tho it has the wheel up front best not to put weight on it. just there to stop nosing over. it is really a taildragger. i try to avoid taxying more than 20 mts. they can be tricky.

A original series 1 with fabric covering, trailer and on register in good condition was advertised for $4,500ono about two years ago.

if they are covered in Mylar and have been sitting for a few years they will have to be recovered (about $700). i paid a grand for mine that was pranged. it came with trailer, the remains of another kit that had been used for spares, I spent about 2 and a half grand and replaced hardware ect. bought up a lot of surplus from the US. also scrounged up a set of wings for 100 bucks.

The two seaters are very rare. they were originally built for the agents for training only. I know of only one definate that came to Australia, i understand that was built for Kerry Packer's collection in 1983. i have heard a rumour only that a unbuilt two seater kit was found in the Gulgong/Mudgee area a couple of years ago. but nothing confirmed. They have a very strong following overseas all info and many parts still being built.

could this be a start of a old time revival?

ozzie

Ozzie, if one was cheap enough I might be tempted as a fun thing of interest. I am trying to build a hanger at the moment so it might have to go on hold, depending on how the hanger thing pans out.

Brian