Optus problems

Admin

Anyone on Optus please note that due to damage to a submarine cable into Hong Kong, Optus routing to Internationally hosted sites, such as us, will be experiencing issues

Guest Andys@coffs

Bex why would a submarine cable between Australia and somewhere else affect you? As I understand it your in China and the server this site is hosted on is in America, hence the dot com address...... and your connection in China between server and your machine wont in any way go through Australia unless the routing tables which are dynamic show that the most effective way from your location to the server is through Australia which would only occur if a submarine cable between China and the states was U/S and even then much more likely to go through Europe than us on the other side of the world.

Thanks Andy and please let me express the deep appreciation that your wealth of knowledge of submarine cables has bought into my life.

Some people start out each morning wanting to make a difference in life and I believe you have achieved exactly that today.

I would write more but this emotional moment has me tearing up to a point that I can barely see the screen, thanks again, what a champion.

• Haha 2
  • Winner 2

Guest Andys@coffs

Yeah...Too much....I'll try and restrain myself when you add to the Jab debate or something else you seemingly know about.....

I try and correct where I know someone is wrong or is making an assumption not supported by the facts....If that's all that we each do then what exactly would be wrong with that?

I was only with Optus for a very short time, simply useless out on the western downs where I work. No signal at all. Telstra, no problem.

Oh! Dazza you are quite correct.

They all give ya chitzs in equal amounts however Telstra is the only one which works in the fringe areas.

Last week I was on the line for 124 mins. just to get a bill sorted out. The thing is one can not go to the opposition as they do not have coverage at all. (STUCK)

Optus is just a little better than Vodaphone which only works well about shopping centres and major airports.

When I last did my research Telstra was the dearest but it had coverage in the greatest number of fringe areas. (GOT TO STAY)

Regards

KP.

• Agree 1

Yep I'm in the same boat, I get so cranky at Telstra sometimes that I would like nothing better than taking my business elsewhere but there is no one else there with a service to cover the areas I go.

It's surprising how many people from the cities travel out to the country and have no service whatsoever between towns. I have offered my phone a couple of times to call NRMA or they would have been stuck there for a while.

Now I never ring Telstra customer service if I have an issue I go to the tamworth Telstra business centre and let them sort it, they are always friendly and know all the tricks of dealing with the Telstra system. No more frustrating calls being put through to one person then another then another and another and then have the call cut off.

My rant for the day

• Like 1

Hi SDQGI

Thank you for that tip.

Next time there are problems I will get a cup of coffee then wonder down to the Telstra shop in Rocky and politely ask "How do you fix this", then relax.

Thank you again.

KP.

Hi SDQGIThank you for that tip.

Next time there are problems I will get a cup of coffee then wonder down to the Telstra shop in Rocky and politely ask "How do you fix this", then relax.

Thank you again.

KP.

It takes a lot of the hassle out of it and if you are nice they might even offer you a cuppa there:wink:

Guest Andys@coffs

Another less stressful way to deal with Telstra is to use the online text based chat. The benefits of that is you can be doing something else in parallel while they deal with your issue and a copy of the entire interaction can be sent to you by email. That in my opinion is worth its weight in gold in that they have to be sure of what they say because you can now use it as a basis for further action.

I have had great success with it in the 3-4 times I have had to use it but the most stressful thing is finding it to use it... everytime I have wanted to use it it has taken ages to find it.....https://livechat.telstra.com/ will get you chatting with someone.....By their fluid and unstilted use of English and responsiveness to Australian names and locations and colloquialisms I have assumed that I was infact dealing with Australians, which IMHO is 90% of the angst already removed!

Visiting a Telstra shop is a good solution but you need to remember that they are a franchise and get paid for products sold or recontracted and if you go in Saturday when there's a line up they wont want to spend much time with you if at the end of the day they earn $0 from your visit. Quiet times however they will probably bend over backwards to assist

Andy