Experimental v certified

Strictly, as I understand it RA-Aus does not have an "experimental" category like GA has except perhaps for 95-10. The 19 Reg just means home rather than factory built. It was possible to apply for permission to fly a 19 Reg aircraft over built up areas but that is a laborious process.

What are the restrictions for having an experimental reg plane to having a certified reg plane?Can I still fly an experimental in controlled air space?

Your aircraft probably meets requirements as per CAO 95.55 part 7.3 ........ but, unless you hold a PPL with CTA, your Class 2 medical is current, and your BFR is current - you are excluded - (see RAA OPS 2.01.6 and 4.06.2-3). It may be quite some time before there is a CTA endorsement for the RAAus PC. After Sep 1 - you could convert to a GA RPL via a Drivers Licence (Aviation) Medical, then be checked out into CTA for an endorsement - an expensive process. To be honest, unless there is a really compelling case for you to fly through CTA, even with a GA licence - all the stuffing around is often not worth the bother.

happy days,

• Agree 1

Strictly, as I understand it RA-Aus does not have an "experimental" category like GA has except perhaps for 95-10. The 19 Reg just means home rather than factory built. It was possible to apply for permission to fly a 19 Reg aircraft over built up areas but that is a laborious process.

Don, CAO 95.55.1.5 is a sub-set of CASR 21.191(g) - which is the "51% rule" portion of the experimental certificate regulations. So RAA does have a de-facto experimental class; however since RAA does not use the certificate of airworthiness process, these aircraft do not get experimental certificates, as do VH-registered equivalent aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

as per post 2 if your plane is RAA exp / home bilt Stevron then it is a no: butIf Ga then it is a yes regardless of who built it

I think his Brumby is factory built, and a 24- rego. So with his current PPL - he should be able to fly CTA

happy days,