Radio problem

I have a Verex VXA 220 which is a great unit that I use in my PPC,but yest. it decieded not to work once I plugged in to my remote PTT button/headsets etc. it works fine as a handheld but PPC a bit loud for that.Im hoping someone out there can shed some light on what I can try as no one around here (Yamba) does work on them,thanks in advance.

Yep ,the radio plugs in to a Lynx junction box off which comes the 2 headsets & push to talk button & was all working fine then nothing but as I say works fine as handheld.I should google how to do some testing with my multimeter I guess as Ive only ever used it for basic stuff ie 12v & alternating power

1227861724_IMG_1925(Copy).JPG.9abcae4add69739670931fdaf5bfd8d1.JPG

553159291_IMG_1923(Copy).JPG.a4f203dc77df4b2993603a4f96f7a86a.JPG

Is there a battery in the system for the intercom? If so it might be worth changing it. Does the intercom still work headset to headset? If it is a hard wired intercom maybe a fuse? Not really sure about your set up so ignore it if it is irrelevant:blush:

Thanks for th replys,it may be something simle Im not overly smart with this sort of stuff .No battery ,only in the Verex . Radio is fine until I plug in the lead going to junction box for h/sets etc then nothing ,even if I push the talk button on the radio its self & squelch they don't work until I pull that lead out then fine ,so Im thinking it may be the connection in the top of the Radio or the lead going to Lynx junction box which I could probably test with multimeter if I knew a bit about it ,cheers

Hi Dinger

Sounds like a problem with the radio plug, Vertex has two types, one just plugs in (Vertex 150) and the other screws in, using the wrong one will effect the seating depth of the plug. The Vertex 220 is the screw in type.

• Agree 1

Do you have your vertex manual? on page 45 is a diagram of the plug, the tip of the 4 pole 3.5mm plug is ptt, the ring close to the insulation is ground. If you set your multimeter to ohms (then test the meter by touching the 2 probes together, and should read 0 ohms) then contact one probe on the tip and the other on the top ring, it should be an open circuit (lots of ohms), when you press your ptt this should then read 0 ohms (or nearly 0) This is much easier if your multimeter has a setting that beeps when shorted.

If you get an open circuit when the ptt is pressed, then check the ptt on each of the wires coming out of the switch, if this is still open circuit, then your ptt has failed. If you get a closed circuit at the switch, but not at the plug, then it could be the wires or something in the intercom.

This process can be repeated along the circuit until you find the open circuit (assuming that it is a broken wire or bad switch).

I hope you can understand this, as I'm finding it difficult to briefly explain the troubleshooting process in writing.

Mine is a 220 & ive been using a plug in lead which was there when I purchased the machine & working fine but just checked & yes Mike there is a thread at the top of the socket so maybe I have the wrong lead/probe, but will also try the multimeter test also ,thanks for th help fellas.

• Caution 1

The Vertex VXA220 did indeed use a screw thread on the external lead socket, but while this is (generally) fine if you're using a headset adapter, it's not so good if you're trying to attach a cable to an intercom as it means twisting the radio because you sometimes can't twist the cable if it's permanently wired in.

On top of this, the original plug can be a bit temperamental about how hard it is screwed in. Not far enough and it won't work at all, too far and you run the risk of destroying the plug (it just twists itself apart - I learnt that from bitter experience.). So, some installations use the original Vertex screw plug with the threads filed off and water sealing O ring removed so that it can simply be plugged straight in. It's not waterproof without these, but it's generally not an issue. You do have to make sure that it's pushed in all the way. So take a look at the top of the plug to see if there used to be threads there.....

John R.

Thanks John,yes as I say there is a thread at the top of the plug but the plug in connection I was using seemed fine for a while but as you say it may be going in too far on not enough anymore,Im off sth on hols for 3 weeks so will check it out on return ,cheers Max

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me is it ok to cut off the plug going in to the Vertex radio & attatch the proper one ,Im not sure of the wiring inside these leads ,cheers.

As long as you know which cable/ pin does what, it's not difficult.

• 1 month later...