Steel bungee possibility for Savannah aircraft?

eightyknots

Hi Eightyknots;

The data on the Viking site is a little confusing. I think the steel cable that loops over the top of the front tube was only used in the prototype while the spring-type front gear was in development.

According to the link below, the latest version has a top "cap" and a bottom "saddle" connected by a threaded "preload" rod that travels through the center of the spring. The exposed upper portion of the spring reveals the amount of tube travel as it slides up and down through the stock guides on the firewall while the "cap" is held in place by two external threaded rod/plates. These plates probably to anchor on the channel on the firewall - probably where the bungee pin is located.

The link below gives a drawing of the new parts - if not the setup. I think the accessory is still in development.

There's no mention of the weight penalty - and - with all that steel, there's got to be a few pounds added forward of the CofG.

http://www.zenith.aero/profiles/blogs/steel-bungee

How unreliable IS the bungee setup?

Fly Safely,

Dan

• Informative 1

Hi Eightyknots;The data on the Viking site is a little confusing. I think the steel cable that loops over the top of the front tube was only used in the prototype while the spring-type front gear was in development.

According to the link below, the latest version has a top "cap" and a bottom "saddle" connected by a threaded "preload" rod that travels through the center of the spring. The exposed upper portion of the spring reveals the amount of tube travel as it slides up and down through the stock guides on the firewall while the "cap" is held in place by two external threaded rod/plates. These plates probably to anchor on the channel on the firewall - probably where the bungee pin is located.

The link below gives a drawing of the new parts - if not the setup. I think the accessory is still in development.

There's no mention of the weight penalty - and - with all that steel, there's got to be a few pounds added forward of the CofG.

http://www.zenith.aero/profiles/blogs/steel-bungee

How unreliable IS the bungee setup?

Fly Safely,

Dan

Thanks Dan,

That information is far more comprehensive that what is available on the Viking website. I am still interested in the weight penalty for this item.

The bungee lasts five years, replace it at rubber replacement and all is good and light. If it ain't broke... unless it's time. Mine is staying standard. Having said that, the factory have released a very tidy extra bracket with the latest kits to strengthen the lower bracket, which is able to be retro fitted around the front of the lower L brackets on older kits, weighs very little and adds considerable improvement. I made steel reinforcement plates for mine before I saw the new kit, so maybe next time but it would be worth doing for an un-modified one.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/broken-sf281-sf282.10736/