They've done it again! (Nose wheel collapse Essendon)

Once again the press stuffed up. An Aero Commander 500 landed at Essendon today with a collapsed nosewheel, following a diversion from Mt Gambier. But once again the press reported an incident with a "Cessna".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/light-plane-makes-emergency-landing-at-essendon-airport/story-fni0fit3-1227135765820

----- Forwarded Message -----

To: Adam Yavner <[email protected]>

Sent: Thursday, 27 November 2014, 9:55

Subject: Re: correction to emergency landing article

Thanks Adam. I'll try and get this confirmed before changing it online. It is important to get these things correct.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Caution 1

----- Forwarded Message -----From: "Cavanagh, Rebekah" <[email protected]>

To: Adam Yavner <[email protected]>

Sent: Thursday, 27 November 2014, 9:55

Subject: Re: correction to emergency landing article

Thanks Adam. I'll try and get this confirmed before changing it online. It is important to get these things correct.

Cheers,

What is there too confirm ? Anybody with a little bit of aircraft knowledge will know that it is a Aero Commander

Its pretty funny how old love had to get confirmation that you where telling her the truth. But she obviously didn't get confirmation previously when she called it a Cessna.

The Cessna word came through several news sources, so the mistake was made further up the tree.

• Informative 1

Reports yesterday that the owners had made a trial fitting of a nose skid bar on this aircraft a couple of weeks ago, just for this type of occurrence, so the only damage may have been nose gear doors. To be confirmed.

The article now does say Aero Commander 500. In the aviation community that can be clarified as a 500-S, but for general public 500 is OK. A lot closer than Cessna.

A little off topic, I know but ... I worked in a remote community in the Kimberley and there was a murder-suicide in a neighbouring out-station.

The press latched on to this and it was incorrectly reported as happening at the community school. If you did a web search of the community name, "Siege at Community School", was the first result to come up.

I took it upon myself to request the original police report and emailed it to every news agency that got it wrong and requested they change the story.

With the exception of one service (Irish), they did.

So yes, they do copy each other. Lazy journalism is rife internationally!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Reports yesterday that the owners had made a trial fitting of a nose skid bar on this aircraft a couple of weeks ago, just for this type of occurrence, so the only damage may have been nose gear doors. To be confirmed.

Hope the gear doors didn't get fowled by the trial fitted skid bar:blush:

And folks wonder why people in this country don't want to go flying in light aircraft...unfortunately people believe what they read in the papers and see on the TV!

Stories loaded with sensationalised accounts and little or no factual information. Every now and then a positive aviation story is covered, however far too often it's all doom and gloom. It was explained to me long ago that for many journalists it's a case of misinterpret what they see and make up what they don't!

Oh look what I just did...did I generalise? For those competent journalists out there, thank you for taking the time to do your research and for those who don't? Please try a little harder. I am passionate about aviation and see it as an amazing way to discover this beautiful country of ours.

Positive media coverage can go along way to achieving this endeavour. As I was explaining to a work colleague a little while ago, the most dangerous thing about flying for me is driving to and from the aerodrome! There endeth the sermon Ladies & Gents.

Hang on just one more thing. I found that if you stop watching the news and reading the newspapers life seems so much brighter! Cop ya later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Coming from behind a news camera, its what the COPS tell us that counts. I've been to plenty of crashes where the cops have said one thing, and the pictures state the bleedin' obvious... BUT the editor will go with what the cops said.... that way, the company will have an escape clause.

Then the calls requesting corrections come in....