• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
Sign in to follow this  
Soleair

Brazilian starting solution with a flat battery

I have a $2000, near-new-but knackered 3 blade prop hanging in my shed that picked up a length of rope off the ground whilst the engine was being run up (thankfully not one of my follies). My twisted little brain is trying to imagine the carnage if perchance the tail end of the Brazilian 'pull start' rope got intimate with the ag duster propellor with the ute tied on to the other end. Seems to me he didn't stop that far away. Maybe I'm just a nancy? cheers

This clip appeared a year or two back, and someone responded with a pic of a team of blokes pulling a rope around a Gooney Bird's prop.

• Agree 1

I have seen a similar picture - it was on the front page of NT news back in the 70's.

It showed a picture of the passengers on the rope starting the engine of a Maparta DC3 in Indonesia.

The article said that it is common to start the engine this way using a jeep, but in this case the agent had already left the airfield.

It was done in PNG plenty of times with DC-3's. A 14 cylinder Radial turns over smoothly especially with the throttle nearly closed. Nev

• Like 1