Worst place to be a pilot.

farri

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah its a great show with some fantastic flying, just wish they wouldn't feel the need (as with all reality shows) to add in all the manufactured drama and whinging.

"oh noes! we might crash somewhere they allegedly ate people 60 years ago!" Dun Dun DUNNNNN.

hah i loved the bit where he said something to the effect of they are living much as they did 1000 years ago... then in the same breath... so we have to airlift supplies into them... of course. as they did 1000 years ago.

cool show though, makes me want to learn to fly like that one day.

Great show, thanks for the heads-up.

Want to watch YouTube clips on your TV?

Here's how!

Bookmark http://keepvid.com/

Go to your YouTube clip pause it, and copy the URL in the address bar.

Open keepvid in a new tab.

Paste the URL into the download field and hit the download button.

Allow the Java applet.

Select the highest MP4 available.

Relax and let it download.

Transfer the downloaded file to a thumbdrive or external HDD and plug it into the USB port of your TV.

Watch and enjoy!

Dunno about worst place to be a pilot as a description. Easiest place to die while being a pilot might be more accurate The risks aren't exaggerated. Many I knew masked it with excess drinking, back in the 60'sand 70's. I haven't ever done what they are asked to do. They are in places where the people are fighting others and there is no backup if something gets out of hand. The landing strips are outrageously minimal. High altitude ruins the aircrafts performance. Ridges have winds you can't predict. The clouds outclimb your plane. The one thing they have that is much better is THAT aircraft, but it's been a workhorse in PNG ever since it's introduction, about 1971?? Nev

Great show, thanks for the heads-up.Want to watch YouTube clips on your TV?

Here's how!

Bookmark http://keepvid.com/

Go to your YouTube clip pause it, and copy the URL in the address bar.

Open keepvid in a new tab.

Paste the URL into the download field and hit the download button.

Allow the Java applet.

Select the highest MP4 available.

Relax and let it download.

Transfer the downloaded file to a thumbdrive or external HDD and plug it into the USB port of your TV.

Watch and enjoy!

Or just watch it on Apple TV, i think other similar things (Chrome play) have similar options

Did a lot of time working on and flying in Army Pilatus Porters. Been flown horizontally, laterally, vertically as well as backwards depending on the wind. Favorite experience was listening to Mirage pilots on the fighter net screaming 'bingo fuel' in the circuit waiting for us to land at Willytown.

Our drop zone had two of them for a short time after the army sold them. Not bad to jump from these had the smaller PT6-20 so they ran out of puff at height. Painfully slow in cruise.

Untitled-5.jpg.ab33bbc69387a374a45a290e9f6b8d11.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg.52afa9ef110a2bf195d01e773229f8af.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg.9051a1b328c52985e393f7eea228c7c0.jpg

THAT aircraft, but it's been a workhorse in PNG ever since it's introduction, about 1971?? Nev

Patair, (PNG), received its' two in 1968 - rego VH-PNG, PNH. Later onsold to Macair in Lae.658302645_PNG-PC6PorterVHPNH.jpg.b384d45b8bbf7d5c62f44b08ae82900e.jpg

Part 2 - On Tonight.

If you think the 'landing' approach and touchdowns are fast - consider that most strips are 6000 ft amsl, and using 20c OAT, a 70 KIAS approach is actually 80KTAS. As well, in most of the mountains, there is an 'upslope' wind during most daylight hours - which probably adds another 4-5 kts to your approach,(ground), speed. Only in the 'dry' season is there some katabatic air movement - mostly early AM. So, in the very early AM, there's a higher risk that you'll undershoot. Once the upvalley wind begins, it increases the risk that you over-run the top end of the strip. Knowing these facts - think about your approach to Keglsugl, altitude 8400 on a 20c day. Strip slopes up about 6-8%.

So, the very steep strips that exist are often a blessing as you have an inbuilt deceleration there. Of course, you still have to cope with the 'false horizon' effect on approach to these strips, and also make allowance in your ROD toward the aim point or you'll have too great a roundout required. Power is usually left ON for the roundout - and because you then have to taxy up a very steep slope in anyones language. (see the pic of Omkali17964709_PNGKeglsugl-highestcommercialstrip-8250amsl.jpg.af6e5e1fe20a8b97aa571034bb94c273.jpg in PNG attached - where it was fun and games).

2124025117_PNGOmpkalionfinal14uphillandnotlongeither.jpg.2c7749d075986630b16f68534f9c4fa3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Makes 600m in a C210 look like a walk in the park! Never felt his lucky to be able to fly in oz!

While I think we are all lucky to be flying in Australia, I would love to visit that strip and others like it in a good short field aircraft. Weather permitting of course.

Yea, I think I would like to do one of the following. A. Try out those strips.B. Fly mountains terrain like that or. C. Fly weather like they have showed, just don't know about all three at once and doing it 100hrs a month to make a crust! And they haven't even showed the DME homing approaches yet that I've seen.