Aussie Slang

Here is a little bit of it PMc I personally love Doovalacky : used whenever you can't remember what something is called. Thingummyjig, whatsit.

Yes some are oldies but goodies and a few I hadn't head of before was a Dunny Budgie (a blowfly)

D

Dag : a funny person, nerd, goof

Daks : trousers

Damper : bread made from flour and water

Date : arse[hole] ("get off your fat date")

Dead dingo's donger, as dry as a : dry

Dead horse : Tomato sauce

Deadset : true, the truth

Dero : tramp, hobo, homeless person (from "derelict")

Dickhead : see "whacker"

Digger : a soldier

Dill : an idiot

Dingo's breakfast : a yawn, a leak and a good look round (i.e. no breakfast)

Dinkum, fair dinkum : true, real, genuine ("I'm a dinkum Aussie"; "is he fair dinkum?")

Dinky-di : the real thing, genuine

Dipstick : a loser, idiot

Divvy van : Police vehicle used for transporting criminals. Named after the protective 'division' between the driver and the villains.

Dob (somebody) in : inform on somebody. Hence dobber, a tell-tale

Docket : a bill, receipt

Doco : documentary

Dog : unattractive woman

Dog's balls, stands out like : obvious

Dog's eye : meat pie

Dole bludger : somebody on social assistance when unjustified

Donger : penis

Doodle : penis

Doovalacky : used whenever you can't remember what something is called. Thingummyjig, whatsit.

Down Under : Australia and New Zealand

Drink with the flies : to drink alone

Drongo : a dope, stupid person

Dropkick : see 'dipstick'

Drum : information, tip-off ("I'll give you the drum")

Duchess : sideboard

Duffer, cattle : rustler

Dummy, spit the : get very upset at something

Dunny : outside lavatory

Dunny budgie : blowfly

Dunny rat, cunning as a : very cunning

Durry : tobacco, cigarette

Dux : top of the class (n.); to be top of the class (v.) - "She duxed four of her subjects".

We are losing our slang language quite a lot. I have noticed it a lot. I love our slang it is so uniquie to us. The world exposure we get now and the desire to "fit in" with the rest of the numb skulls and drop kicks so we all be come clones of what the USA and club of rome want us to be like.

There you go some food for the conspiracy guys

I haven't heard durry for a cigarette since I was twelve! By the way, if you have seen a farmer with kangaroos in a crop in the top paddock then you know what crazy means. Most farms leave some forest on the hill tops, where the roos sleep during the day, then they come down and feast on the top paddock at night. So it makes perfect sense to me.

I see that 'refo" is included, but not "moozy". PC?

And they missed "two bob" and "two bob watch".

The list looks like it was derived from late 20th Century slang, which is good since it shows the evolution of the slanguage. You guys agree with that?

OME

• Agree 1

The list looks like it was derived from late 20th Century slang, which is good since it shows the evolution of the slanguage. You guys agree with that?

OME

They also don't understand the difference between slang and simple diminutives e.g. fridge for refrigerator. Diminutives aren't slang. Strange that with there being so many alternatives, I can't find a 'shirt lifter' or similar anywhere.

• Haha 1

A mate of mine was always trotting out those wonderful Aussie similes like "Dry as a Pommie's towel" and "Full as a State High School" and "Flat out as a lizard drinking". A shame we don't hear those any more.

PC certainly killed off quite a few.

A young friend of mine today had never heard of the term "brown trout farm" when referring to a sewerage works.

She was quite amused when I explained to her that it had nothing to do with fishing

• Haha 1

And why would you be looking for a shirt-lifter?

Can't imagine why but, as to where, the Artillery Corps were thought to have more than their fair share and there was fair amount of uncertainty about the Tankies too with their formal stretch trousers and their gay berets. 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

• Haha 1

A young friend of mine today had never heard of the term "brown trout farm" when referring to a sewerage works.She was quite amused when I explained to her that it had nothing to do with fishing

Yes, before I had kids I remember a mate at work talking about how his young boy & girl used to have a bath together, until one day the son "launched a brown trout" after which the daughter wouldn't share the bath with him.

Since having kids our daughter has launched a fair few brown trouts in the bath, and even a couple in the shower. Very common fish.

Isn't that pommy slang?

It was all Pommy slang, after all that is where Ozzie slang (of the rhyming sort in its original form) came from. Regarding the 'brown trout' they were also known as 'richards' from Richard the Third (turd).

• Informative 1

Just watched an interview with Hugh Jackman regarding his latest movie "Chappie". His character is Australian and so he was asked to add some Aussie slang to the script. He said that he knew so little that he had to do a Google search to find any.

OME

They also don't understand the difference between slang and simple diminutives e.g. fridge for refrigerator. Diminutives aren't slang. Strange that with there being so many alternatives, I can't find a 'shirt lifter' or similar anywhere.

I heard a fairly old Australian once describe a shirt lifter as an Uphill Gardener. . . . . .?? that was at a pub somewhere near four corners tank ( NSW ?. . . Memory fading along with the medal ribbons. . .)

Phil

Heard a youngish Aussie female on vacation in the UK at around Chrismas time, say "She'll be Jake Mate. . ." have not heard that one for a long time. . . .must qualify as some sort of slangism, rather than the Crocker / Humphries "Don't come the raw prawn with me mate. . . .dah dah dah . . .rough end of a pineapple" synthetic movie stuff. . . . I just received an email copy of a Ronnie Barker sketch which was actually broadcast by the BBC, I might post it in the laughter bin, and see if the Mods can it,. . . . but it WAS transmitted by the BBC, I gather it was said at such a speed that no one noticed. . . . .it's all in spoonerisms. . . .

Well, wish me luck . . .