Microair M760 Picking up TV?

Has anyone had interference from Commercial Radio stations or TV channels when operating close to these transmitters?

Yes happened to me several times near airport of large town, very annoying. Someone before confirmed this on another thread about interference.

Doesn't always work though.

I have had screaming loud rock music suddenly come through headset while on a right base for runway 07 Townsville. Was so loud I could not hear the tower.

And I have so many ferrites and filters I am just about max weight. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Caution 2

I worked in a control tower in the UK that had its comms the wrong way round; unlike every other airport the transmitters were on top of the tower and the receivers were remote. BT came in a rewired the system with new gear - it was hopeless. Talk about sidetone! Output was only 5 watts per frequency.

Doesn't always work though.I have had screaming loud rock music suddenly come through headset while on a right base for runway 07 Townsville. Was so loud I could not hear the tower.

And I have so many ferrites and filters I am just about max weight. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

There is an "aerial farm" just off the end of 07, with Xmod very hard to do much about it. There are 2 main places here, one being approaching 07 bases, the other half way between Stuart and the threshold of 01.

Interference worse on 118.3 which just happens to be the tower freq.

It appears to me to be a fact that the front end of the Microair radio is not as selective as the dearer radios - I don't have access to a signal generator to prove this, just a feeling from using both types over an extended period of time.

• Informative 1

Thanks everyone. Had the issue at Coffs for the first time in that area recently.

That's where it's happened to me several times,

• Caution 1

• 9 months later...

Highly unlikely JetJr...The RF field would have to be ridiculously high for it to be picked up in the headsets. I can tell you from experience with the Microair radios that they have many issues in the VCO and mixers and can be unstable at times. When they go out of lock they still transmit but up on 148 mhz...I think you will find it is the radio not the headsets

Fair enough

I could turn off radio and still hear transmissions

I put a pair of ferrites on heasdset and it stopped. Used to happen near Shepparton

Had to use one on main cable and one on crossover L to R too.

I do know M760 arent the best but pretty good features per $

If you could do that then you were sitting right on the transmitter AND the headset system must have had some sort of amplifier system or a separate intercom system in it to be able to pick the rf field up. I wouldn't be hanging around that area too long unless you want a couple of courses of chemo. Thats a lot of RF to be soaking up

Most aviation radios are around the same price give or take a few bucks and some are definately better than others.

Thanks for the interesting comments.

The Microair receiver selectivity is quoted as -70 dB in their M760 rev Q data sheet.

http://www.microair.com.au/pages/233/Manuals

I've searched the xcom site but could not find a specification for receiver selectivity. Do you know this figure Kyle or anyone? Am considering radio choice for a new aircraft.

We're just about to fit new radios to a couple of our club gliders. One of our club members has very kindly donated 2 new Becker radios which are touted to be the radio of choice.

I'm looking forward to better comms. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/beckerar6201.php

I've usually had good success with micro air 760 and less so with the micro air 720 (which is about to make a rattling noise in circular file 13).

I've only been associated with one Xcom and it made me swear never to buy one. Maybe I had a friday special