Shame about the 109

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

OOPS my bad it's a 190. Just realized i got the two numbers mixed up.

Seems to be in one piece more or less.

Did anyone from here go? This looks like a hoot of a show, wonder how they fly those buzz bomb things.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/67607269/ww2-fighters-brake-fails-during-landing-at-omaka-aerodrome

and for those not afraid of social media they have their own FB page (who doesn't).

https://www.facebook.com/classicfightersomaka

Guest ozzie

Ahhhh those tricky people of the press.

Looking real close at that image of all the bits flying every where and looking at other images on FB i have concluded that with the Spitfire passing behind that the wreckage must be from one of those RC large scale buzz bombs going in after being 'shot down' by the Spitfire.

We'll done Ozzie, that's exactly what is was.

The strong winds on the Saturday blew the exploding fuel onto the grass, starting a grass fire that required the attentions of a couple of fire trucks.

Show was very well done, as is usual for all the Kiwi air shows I've seen. Some world class displays, and plenty of " almost close enough to touch" action.

If you like WWI or WWII action, then block out Easter and head for New Zuland.

Ahhhh those tricky people of the press.Looking real close at that image of all the bits flying every where and looking at other images on FB i have concluded that with the Spitfire passing behind that the wreckage must be from one of those RC large scale buzz bombs going in after being 'shot down' by the Spitfire.

It looks like wood splinters...

Just to clarify, there was a flying Buzz Bomb ( R/ C), and some static models. The flying model was re-cycled, but the static models were spectacularly destroyed for the entertainment of all the big boys and girls.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

Classic Fighters ( this one) and Warbirds over Wanaka are similar shows, both bi- annual, but on opposing years, so there is now a top class show every Easter.

Beauty, I know where I'll be next easter!

Guest ozzie

Wonder if one of those buzz bombs could make Canberra? I have a feeling that to get a job in the CAA over there you must really have to enjoy aviation.

Those journos love to exaggerate - it was a ground loop after the guy landed in a crosswind, and after having run out of rudder tried the right brake, which failed and he sadly lost control of the aircraft. Not really a "crash", but an expensive incident with fortunately no casualties.

The Omaka show is every 2 years, and this one was excellent. Loads of WW1 planes flying, although high winds curtailed their display on the Saturday. Sunday was better, and the full show was performed. One of the highlights was the arrival on the Friday evening of a MkXIV Griffon-powered Spitfire, which joined two Mk IX Spits for the subsequent displays.

A must for any vintage plane enthusiast.

Cheers,

Neil