It really does depend upon where you live. . .

Phil Perry

You may have heard on the news about a Southern California man who was put under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and allegedly had 100,000 rounds of ammunition stored in his home. The house also featured a secret escape tunnel.

By Southern California standards, someone owning 100 guns and 100,000 rounds is considered "mentally unstable."

However ........

In Michigan, he'd be called "The last white guy still living in Detroit".

In Arizona, he'd be called "an avid gun collector."

In Arkansas, he'd be called "a novice gun collector."

In Utah, he'd be called "moderately well prepared," but they'd probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.

In Kansas, he'd be "A guy down the road you would want to have for a friend."

In Montana, he'd be called "The neighborhood 'Go-To' guy."

In Idaho, he'd be called "a likely gubernatorial candidate."

In Georgia, he'd be called "an eligible bachelor."

In North Carolina, Virginia, W.Va., Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky and South Carolina he would be called "a deer hunting buddy."

And in Texas: he'd just be Bubba "who's a little short on ammo."

In the UK,. . . . . .he'd never see the outside of a prison again. . . .

>

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

You may have heard on the news about a Southern California man who was put under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and allegedly had 100,000 rounds of ammunition stored in his home. The house also featured a secret escape tunnel.

By Southern California standards, someone owning 100 guns and 100,000 rounds is considered "mentally unstable."

However ........

In Utah, he'd be called "moderately well prepared," but they'd probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.

In North Carolina, Virginia, W.Va., Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky and South Carolina he would be called "a deer hunting buddy."

>

In OZ he would be sniffing bricks for 5 years or so.

Happened to a guy I know with only 10 guns plus ammo.

Phil

However ........

>

What that tells me is that there's at least 18 US states that allow insanity.

When the NRA and other lunatic groups start quoting the second amendment as a justification for private citizens owning the equivalent firepower to a battalion, I would like to remind them that the second amendment was written when "cutting edge weapons technology" meant rifling in the barrel of your single-shot black powder gun. Perhaps they should stick to that today - bit hard to have a murderous rampage when it takes 20 seconds to reload!

• Agree 1

What that tells me is that there's at least 18 US states that allow insanity.When the NRA and other lunatic groups start quoting the second amendment as a justification for private citizens owning the equivalent firepower to a battalion, I would like to remind them that the second amendment was written when "cutting edge weapons technology" meant rifling in the barrel of your single-shot black powder gun. Perhaps they should stick to that today - bit hard to have a murderous rampage when it takes 20 seconds to reload!

Why is a state that allows someone to own guns 'insanity'?

Murderous rampages fair dinkum I suppose we should ban knives, big sticks and those backcountry people with big hands in case they get cranky and blow their top, while we're at it we should get rid of cars and trucks and trains and busses and those things that fly in the sky just in case someone goes bonkers, I mean all the excecutives of Airbus and Boeing need locking away incase some crazy pilot gets suicidal......

All well and good to criticise guns but a looney can take 1 or 2 HUNDRED people out by pranging a plane deliberately......

Ok I'm getting tired and grumpy lol can you tell, I just get frustrated when people say I shouldn't have guns incase I go off my top, I mean am I ever on my top?034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif Gotta be crazy these days or you would go mad:loopy:

• Agree 5
  • Haha 1

Ok I'm getting tired and grumpy lol can you tell, I just get frustrated when people say I shouldn't have guns incase I go off my top, I mean am I ever on my top?034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif Gotta be crazy these days or you would go mad:loopy:

I think you just set off some sort of alarm in the place in Canberra that they store all the meta data!

• Like 1

I know I know lol it's been about two weeks without a fly, maybe I better go to bed now so I can get up early and go for a quickie in the morning:idea:

... and a fly!

Don't get me wrong mate no one's saying you're insane for owning guns. You probably have a locked safe with a couple of bolt action hunting rifles and a shotgun or two.

But there's a world of difference between that and being able to walk into a "gun show" and walk out with a semi-automatic handgun or assault rifle. I don't care what you're hunting, if you can't kill it with a long gun with manual action and seven bullets then you shouldn't be hunting.

I've got a bolt action .22 magnum which I used on Monday night to get a roo for the pot for the neighbour and I. I was bloody mad at John Howard when I had to hand in my beloved 8-shot pump action shottie. But much as I despise him for almost every other policy, I have to admit that he was right when it came to gun laws.

Just look at the rates of shooting deaths (both accidental and on purpose) between here and the USA.

• Agree 3

You mean a gun that you don't take your hand off the stock for that second shot, when you wound the quarry, & you need to put the target down properly.spacesailor

The extra half a second it takes to work the action won't cause it too much pain.

I saw a TV advert by one of the anti - gun lobbies in the USA recently, one one of those programmes showing various commercials from all over the world. . . it was actually very well done, showing various national flags full screen, with the voiceover saying " In xxxxxxxx this year,. . .there were seven people killed by handguns. Then seven holes appeard in the flag accompanied by sound effects. . they got to the Union Flag and said that in Britain this year, Five people were killed by handguns. . .bang bang. .etc. . . .this went on through some European national flags, then the Aussie one . . half a dozen deaths etc. . .ending up with the stars and stripes.

"In America this year, four thousand four hundred etc, etc. . . then the flag disappeared in a hail of bullet holes, leaving just a tattered bit of stripe hanging from the pole. . .!! The punchline was "God Bless America ". . . . Very graphic I thought, but they'll never beat the NRA !

It's attitude not guns that needs addressing. Making guns unlawful only limits law abiding people as guns will always be available. The knee jerk reaction post Port Arthur (in my case for example) has not changed the number of guns I own, only paying another Gov. Tax to have them and the cost of police physical audits every 2 or 3 years.

Criminals and idiots will not be prevented access to guns by making a licence fee attached.

• Agree 5

Criminals and idiots will not be prevented access to guns by making a licence fee attached.

Idiots are prevented from easily accessing guns which cuts down on the number of fatal shootings. How many times have you seen stories from the USA of f*wits leaving a loaded handgun somewhere within reach of a child?

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

Idiots are prevented from easily accessing guns which cuts down on the number of fatal shootings. How many times have you seen stories from the USA of f*wits leaving a loaded handgun somewhere within reach of a child?

If it's in their own house, with their own children, it's called natural selection.

I have nothing against safe storage to prevent kids getting firearms, that is a common sense thing. But if you think our laws prevent easy access to firearms for crims you are living in fairy land. Safes and locks will prevent kids but won't even slow down a crim.

It would be interesting to see the stats on firearms stolen in the last year or two.

I'm in a better mood today :-)

image.jpg.83bf65c899518152a0a2efdfc252968f.jpg

• Informative 1

I know someone very high up in gun club circles and sadly there are a quite number of nutcases (in Australia) as in the first post who are "Prepared". A number of them up around Gympie.

The same guys had a field day during the gun buy back, getting rid of their junk for wild prices. One guy had 3 stuffed gattling guns that could never be used again and had been trying to sell them for years for $1000, he got $5500 each of your money for them. Just one of many stories.

I did Old K, snuck in a quick one before we headed down to the 'castle'. Am now at meswellbrook waiting on mrs to get some groceries. It was a beautiful morning, I hope tomorrow morning is similar :-)

It would be interesting to see the stats on firearms stolen in the last year or two.

I think that the stats will show that the majority of firearms that are stolen are long arms of .22 and 12G calibre - that is, the firearms most commonly owned by people who don't take suitable security precautions. The rest of the responsible gun owners are just that ... responsible. Having said that, it seems that when a firearm is used in a shooting where the parties are well known to each other, it is a long arm that is used.

It would appear that Australia's major weapon problem comes from the use of knives by people from those ethnic groups where knives are part of their culture. A fair dinkum Aussie uses fists, boots and a lump of 4be2. Glassings are an Aussie adaption of the knife culture, since it's a bit hard to get a cut-throat razor nowadays. The majority of shootings by criminal gang members are carried out with hand guns, as part of wars for control of drug distribution.

Personally I can't see the need to hold more than three firearms: a shotgun for ducks and rabbits; a .22 for cats and foxes, and one bigger calibre for pigs (razorbacks).

OME

• Agree 3

I think that the stats will show that the majority of firearms that are stolen are long arms of .22 and 12G calibre - that is, the firearms most commonly owned by people who don't take suitable security precautions. The rest of the responsible gun owners are just that ... responsible. Having said that, it seems that when a firearm is used in a shooting where the parties are well known to each other, it is a long arm that is used.Personally I can't see the need to hold more than three firearms: a shotgun for ducks and rabbits; a .22 for cats and foxes, and one bigger calibre for pigs (razorbacks).

OME

Tamworth last year and the year before had a spate (spelling?) of gun thefts, the majority of these were 'well' secured firearms stored appropriately. It is so easy to circumvent a gun safe that they can't be relied upon to deter anything but curious children and even then once teenagers they find interesting techniques on 'you'tube that can get them through any lock in some cases scarily simple.

I own a couple of handguns and had a brand new safe (suitable for the handgun regulations) and was quiet happy with it until I saw a video on YouTube explaining how to get into it, I found WITHOUT a key I could get into it in under 30 seconds with no noise and able to lock it again so no sign of entry was left, I've since got rid of that safe and got another which is marginally better but wouldn't be even half a challenge for a cordless grinder.

Thinking that abiding by the safe storage requirements your guns won't get pinched is kidding yourself to a dangerous level.

As for how many guns someone needs, I agree that we could all 'survive' with just a few guns but how would we feel if there was a limit brought in to say 1 car per family? Sure we could still get by and maybe it would even be comfortable for some but what purpose does it serve? I personally see nothing wrong with collecting guns and if I had a bit more money I would love to buy some more. (Story of a lot of our lives no doubt)

• Agree 1

It is a daily announcment here in Qld of another murder by stabbing. Our government keeps telling us how the police are keeping us safe, but knife crime seems to be a daily occurence.

At one stage I was paid to carry a gun, now I don't have one so the vermin are not controlled.

Just look at the rates of shooting deaths (both accidental and on purpose) between here and the USA.

One thing you will find is that almost all the more recent mass murderers that used guns were hopped up on psychotropic prescription drugs, specifically ADHD medications / CNS stimulants / SSRI's. It is a common thread. Just waiting to hear that the mass-murdering Germanwings pilot was on this sort of stuff also. It appears to remove some peoples empathy.

• Informative 1

However ........

>

As long as my bum points to the ground on this planet the Howards gun buy back law is as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike & therefore is only a revenue raiser for the shinybums that are unemployable in civvy street.. Here is an actual sequence: A professional gun shooter in the country who kept his guns in a locked safe that was bolted to a concrete floor, happened to be absent from his property for a short duration. His dwelling was securely locked up. While he was away from his dwelling some unscrupulous bxstxrd broke into his dwelling , and forcefully opened the guns safe, & stole all his guns & ammunition.

When he arrived home & discovered the break in, he notified the local Police of the incident, however the authorities were only interested in the gun shooters legal obligations with respect to the current gun laws. They couldn't care a stuff about the bxstxrd who broke into the gun shooters dwelling or about the stolen guns. So that proves that the current gun laws are only to protect the victim of crime & not the victor of the public.019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

If I wounded a deer (stag / hind) in NZ and the authorities found out, I could And Should cop a fine for cruelty.

To get a second shot at a rearing animal you have to be Bloody quick.

spacesailor

I personally see nothing wrong with collecting guns

I agree with you. I think the machining involved produces a work of art. Collecting them as art works, or to preserve the history of firearms is a fine thing.

Personally, I think the fun of firing a gun is in the "bang" and the hole in the target. I used to love attending my annual qualifying shoot when I was a policeman. It was more fun when we went from Smth & Wesson 6-shot 38s to 9 mm, self loading Glocks, which are a much nicer handgun to use.

For me, hunting with a firearm is pretty ho hum. But that's my viewpoint.

OME

• Agree 1

It is a daily announcment here in Qld of another murder by stabbing. Our government keeps telling us how the police are keeping us safe, but knife crime seems to be a daily occurence.At one stage I was paid to carry a gun, now I don't have one so the vermin are not controlled.

Our police may do a reasonable job of finding out who murdered you or took your stuff, but you'll probably never see your stuff again, and you will not come back to life.