Help needed to find a flying club or school in the Melbourne area

Owi

Hi all,

Due to a career change, I am relocating to Melbourne at the end of this month. Among other things, I need to find a new place where I can continue my flying training. I've just received my RAA pilot certificate but I still need to go for my Pax Endorsement and I'd like to get X-C too.

I know there's a lot of options around the Melbourne area, but I don't know if there's a club or school in the area that operate Aeroprakt Foxbats. Although I would prefer to continue flying in a Foxbat, I'm not averse to learning in another aircraft of similar stature. Low-wing aircraft are also of interest to me.

Can anybody help point me towards a suitable club/school in or around Greater Melbourne?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Do you know what area in Melbourne you moving to? I'm from Sydney originally too, and found the travelling much easier around and beyond Melbourne (at least on the Western side) when compared to Sydney, so I found travelling further out isn't as bad as you would at first suspect.

I'm moving to a place near Manningham, which is to the east and slightly north.

I know what you mean about it being easier to travel around Melbourne. Lethbridge sounds ok, similar to the 90kms I already drive to get to The Oaks every time I want to fly.

I'm looking forward to the new adventures that lie ahead in VIC.

Just started flying at Lilydale - same situation as you - moved to Melbourne after getting my Pilot Cert, but nothing else yet.

Lilydale Flying School gives an excellent pack to get you going with airport diagrams, checklists, brochures, etc. Their instructors are friendly and the facility has a nice atmosphere. Depending on what aircraft you've flown so far - (for RA-Aus) they fly Jabirus and a Eurofox. A very short distance away, there's Coldstream, which flies (for Ra-Aus) a Tecnam P92.

http://lilydaleairport.com.au/

http://www.ycem.com.au/yarra-valley-flight-training.html

• Agree 2

Welcome Owi as you move South of the border! I used to live in Camden and learnt to fly at The Oaks. Now live in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne and work in an aircraft maintenance org at Coldstream.

Yarra Valley Flight Training have a Tecnam P92 and a friendly bunch of fellow aviators.

For bits and pieces about Coldstream have a look at www.ycem.com.au

Hi Owi, I recently moved to Brisbane, but prior to that I was training at Lilydale. I recommend them highly, great people, friendly and professional atmosphere, well maintained aircraft.

I highly recommend Coldstream. Great aircraft, great instructors, friendly atmosphere and a flying club that actually do things (comps, friday night pizza etc).

Previously I was flying at Lilydale but it didn't have the same 'community' I've found at Coldstream

• Like 1

I highly recommend Coldstream. Great aircraft, great instructors, friendly atmosphere and a flying club that actually do things (comps, friday night pizza etc).Previously I was flying at Lilydale but it didn't have the same 'community' I've found at Coldstream

Hi Darky

Long time :-)

How's life treating you? Still giving the Hughes a go?

Coldstream has certainly got the goods as Mriya also said, including a sealed strip for those wet winter days and a really active social scene with comps and fly always, and other activities.

Kaz

Hi DarkyLong time :-)

How's life treating you? Still giving the Hughes a go?

Coldstream has certainly got the goods as Mriya also said, including a sealed strip for those wet winter days and a really active social scene with comps and fly always, and other activities.

Kaz

Hi Kaz!

Life is going well now, just got back into flying 2 months ago after 3 years on the ground for various reasons (money/time continuum). Not flying the Hughes any more, had 3 lessons but it was too expensive at $500 a pop.

Now a happy defector to Coldstream airfield and I'm really enjoying the social side.

Have done about 11 hours (4 solo) getting back up to speed, hoping to do my BFR in the next week or two :)

• Like 4

Thanks very much for all the input, chaps.

Coldstream does sound most in line with what I'm looking for. That and Lilydale are so close, I could try both in one day!

Wow! I knew there were more options in the Melbourne area - just didn't realise how much so.

Can't wait to get started.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Yes, far more options exist here, having said that The Oaks was a great spot to go in Sydney and I have always tried to drop in (and fly) when back up there visiting family and friends.