Anderson plugins

Russ

query.........these quick connect aux power source thingos..........they're 50amp rated, max. Seems to me this is too low for a jump start scinareo......( melting wires etc ?? )

Have purchased one of those "jump start" paks.........400 cold cranking amps. Kincrome...12000 ????. theyre about the size of a paperback novel, weigh zip. Chap out remote swears by them, even starts his backhoe tractor.

Image.jpg.13f4b98121e8c2305db177e8b40e2265.jpg

Lithium ion on a jump starter? Are they the ones with the hassles? Wouldn't a lithium iron be better?

Having a jump starter that small would be handy and I guess if it had a meltdown it would only be when you were charging it or using it so would be on the ground so shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Guest Andys@coffs

Russ

you are assuming that 100% of the CCA's come across the connector, generally that isn't the case, you wire them in place and the flat battery in your Jab immediately pulls significant currents from the source battery to start the recharge of the on-board battery. so connect it all up, wait for a few minutes and then start. The connector will then see only a partial load not the full one because your flatish bat is still assisting with the start. Of course if it doesn't start and the onboard battery is then taken back to completely flat the current over the connector will again rise, but, the inline resistance of the leads and clip on connectors is large enough to limit the effective load to a level that wont be a problem....I mean lets assume that the in line resistance of the whole jumping system is 1/4 of an ohn (and that's low!) at 50A the voltage drop will be >12v so.....in otherwords you probably wont see current flows exceeding 50A because the gear we are buying for the jumper cables and connectors will have inline series resistances too high....

I have the standard connector on my J230 and it works absolutely fine, a significant improvement over having to pull the cowl off every time! Keep the leads from the connector to the battery as short as possible and remember always that the connector is live and capable of delivering welding power!

Oh and another pearl of wisdom.....If after starting your aircraft that has a flat battery, you hear an engine whine in your headsets then its possible the battery has gone high resistance which means that the voltage on the buss will quickly climb (on RPM increase) to levels approaching 20v....very dangerous for all on-board avionics.......Shutdown immediately and take the battery to a battery dude that has a re-conditioner who can see if the battery can be salvaged....the cost of a new battery is likely nothing as compared to the cost of new avionics!!!!

Andy