Finding airstrip information

There is great information on these forums about individual strips, fuel and services, but it is hard to access. There is also the Airstrip Google map that can be accessed through the Menu. It would be great to link the information to the points on the map. Then when planning a trip you could click on each map location and see whether it suited a landing.

I keep reading details about specific airstrips that I might want to visit one day but I'm afraid I will never read the details again.

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

There is great information on these forums about individual strips, fuel and services, but it is hard to access. There is also the Airstrip Google map that can be accessed through the Menu. It would be great to link the information to the points on the map. Then when planning a trip you could click on each map location and see whether it suited a landing.I keep reading details about specific airstrips that I might want to visit one day but I'm afraid I will never read the details again.

Only the main strips are shown in that map, PM. I have dropped pins on lots of local strips in Google Earth on my desktop Mac; no use when flying. The team at OzRunways just talked me (via email) thru how to add them to their maps and share with others. Now when I fly, local landing grounds appear on OzRunways maps.

Only the main strips are shown in that map, PM. I have dropped pins on lots of local strips in Google Earth on my desktop Mac; no use when flying. The team at OzRunways just talked me (via email) thru how to add them to their maps and share with others. Now when I fly, local landing grounds appear on OzRunways maps.

Speaking of which OK those waypoints once loaded have stayed in my ozrunways even after I shut it down so you are on a winner there:thumb up:

Sorry for the off topic PM

• Like 1

Speaking of which OK those waypoints once loaded have stayed in my ozrunways even after I shut it down so you are on a winner there:thumb up:Sorry for the off topic PM

So, if we can so easily share local airstrips we find, what about a thread so we can contribute to a central resource?

• Like 1

But part of the problem is knowing the strip exists. Strip name doesn't tell you where it is. When planning a route, I may not know what names to search for. Those with accommodation are very desirable, but having drawn a line from say Shepparton to Roma, how do I find the strips along that route that might have been discussed somewhere on these forums?

• Caution 1

http://www.recreationalflying.com/airstrips/

059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

C'mon fellas do you know what a search function is 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Yea.....good, good.......but, if i were to drop into strip xyz???, ( that's listed here ) and updating needed doing.........how does one load this update, have been caught with "outdated" info before.

Me/you clicking onto marker, then inputing info, would be ideal

But part of the problem is knowing the strip exists. Strip name doesn't tell you where it is. When planning a route, I may not know what names to search for. Those with accommodation are very desirable, but having drawn a line from say Shepparton to Roma, how do I find the strips along that route that might have been discussed somewhere on these forums?

If we could easily patch the local airfields we know of into a public source, then everyone could download them.

This site's airstrip map (http://www.recreationalflying.com/airstrips/) is great, but has limited info and you can't access it easily while in the air. If you could patch it to OzRunways that would be great.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Mine is the little grey tadpole halfway between Inverell and Goondiwindi! Where is yours?

I'm now the little grey tadpole 4nm to the north of YQDI 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif. Well actually that's dad's place, I am on the other side of the road but haven't got a strip I just use a paddock or road or something:yes:

Good point Russ. Are you able to click on the points and adjust or input any info?

I'm now the little grey tadpole 4nm to the north of YQDI 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif. Well actually that's dad's place, I am on the other side of the road but haven't got a strip I just use a paddock or road or something:yes:

Good point Russ. Are you able to click on the points and adjust or input any info?

No.........

No.........

I just had a go and if you click on 'more info' it brings up a page with more info and that page has a 'edit' button. I thought maybe we could only edit private strips but I went to YQDI and added some text and it was accepted so it seems we can edit and update these strips.

So updates for fuel, accom ect can be added into the notes:thumb up:

That's great. I would encourage anyone who posts about airstrips to also go in there and add the information, with a date. It would be really useful. Anyone offering accommodation for aviators would do well to be listed there.

• Agree 1

I just had a go and if you click on 'more info' it brings up a page with more info and that page has a 'edit' button. I thought maybe we could only edit private strips but I went to YQDI and added some text and it was accepted so it seems we can edit and update these strips.So updates for fuel, accom ect can be added into the notes:thumb up:

Just tried it.....bewdy.