New Diamond hybrid

It is modelled on the da40 which I think from memory is a four seater so not an Raa option but if it was single engine that would make it more accessible for most GA ppl or RPL.

In GA is it a separate endorsement between twin engine and three engines? What I mean is there a twin endo and a multi or is it all covered by the one? Because if they say technically the electrics are engines then that would make it three engines, the two electrics and the diesel.

Well the article has it at 2 seats due to battery in the rear seat area but its a DA40 so far to large/heavy for RAA regn.

Were this to be within the smaller MTOW of RAA eligible aircraft then you run into problems with the CAO's on engine/motors and props.

- CAO 95.55 only applies to single engine and single prop - so regardless of the engine/motor issues there is more than 1 prop so RAA experimental/factory etc for 3 axis is out:

- CAO 95.32 mixed here - powered parachutes and weightshift in the LSA and eLSA can have multi engine and multi props as can self assemble from approved factory kit BUT home built from non-approved factory kit or I designed it myself has the same 1 engine and 1 prop issue as 95.55

- CAO 95.10 free range - as many props and engines as you can fit and ... remain under 300kg MTOW with 10KG/m^2

• Like 1

I'd like to know why we can't have twin engines/props. What was/is CASA's thinking behind their decision. Not withstanding the weight/complexity side of things, coaxial, contra rotating props are less prone to torque problems (lets not get into a discussion about efficiency please). Small motors close to the fuselage would not induce uncontrollable yaw problems so something like the Air-cam could become a reality for Aussie flyers.

With Ultralight/LSA designs and building method /materials, I believe it's time this was reviewed.

• Agree 1

I'd like to know why we can't have twin engines/props. What was/is CASA's thinking behind their decision. Not withstanding the weight/complexity side of things, coaxial, contra rotating props are less prone to torque problems (lets not get into a discussion about efficiency please). Small motors close to the fuselage would not induce uncontrollable yaw problems so something like the Air-cam could become a reality for Aussie flyers.With Ultralight/LSA designs and building method /materials, I believe it's time this was reviewed.

Basically its a multi engine thing - they did not really think flitting around paddocks should be in the twin engine area of ops and having to deal with asymmetric issues etc that comes from most multi engine configs