Party Balloon

Had an encounter with a red party balloon today at 2500amsl, scared the s$&@ out of me !! Suggest it was helium filled. Just goes to show how quickly things happen. I saw it approaching from port side below the wing and moving up, banked right and missed it. It was a 10-15 knot northerly and I was travelling north west. Lucky it was not a bird or another aircraft !

Had an encounter with a red party balloon today at 2500amsl, scared the s$&@ out of me !! Suggest it was helium filled. Just goes to show how quickly things happen. I saw it approaching from port side below the wing and moving up, banked right and missed it. It was a 10-15 knot northerly and I was travelling north west. Lucky it was not a bird or another aircraft !

It was approaching you? Were you in a balloon too? (Just joking...chill....)024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• Haha 1

What happened to the old aero club competition bursting these balloons?

You'd roll out on final, call for release, or flick the landing light, and try to pop it with the prop as it climbed.

I wouldn't worry about the balloon, back in the day it was a good execise to blow up balloons in the cockpit ( one at a time or have two blown up ones and stow them behind the seat) then open the door and let them out. The name of the game was to do a 180 degree turn and chase the baloon then pop the baloon with the airframe or prop.

Good fun, of course this was done in the nineties when flying ultralights was more fun and we didn't have the do gooder, you can't do this or you can't do that crap we have now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Good fun, of course this was done in the nineties when flying ultralights was more fun and we didn't have the do gooder, you can't do this or you can't do that crap we have now.

All that "crap" is designed to ensure you get home for tea Dazza . As they say ..... "the rules are written in blood "

....... Bob

Talking about Toilet rolls, when on RAAF adventure training on Moreton Is. We played bog roll soccer on the beach at night. What you do is soak the bog rolls in white spirits or something similar ( for christ sake, not petrol) . Then you light it up and kick it around like a soccer ball. It looks speccy when it un rolls in the air when on fire. We obviously played it on the beach so nothing else caught on fire.

Talking about Toilet rolls, when on RAAF adventure training on Moreton Is. We played bog roll soccer on the beach at night. What you do is soak the bog rolls in white spirits or something similar ( for christ sake, not petrol) . Then you light it up and kick it around like a soccer ball. It looks speccy when it un rolls in the air when on fire. We obviously played it on the beach so nothing else caught on fire.

Speccy? Un rolls? C'mon now Daz:yikes: