Jindabyne incident ends well

Fellas.. What hasthe aircraft type got to do with anything? I have read every post in this thread, and I can't see any jab bashings??

Why must we always end up like this? There's a real safety issue involved as a causal factor in this " training " incident, and some of you are wanking over the type of plane .., again!!!

This aeroplane has already had its day in the sun ( when it spat a through bolt) a couple years ago. This has NOTHING. To do with this training incident.

Thanks AMSA for the useful info.

• Agree 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon Khancoban area coming on sundown in mid June unless you were absolutely certain of making it to an inhabited house (how could you be sure) within a very short time frame would be justifiable cause to operate a beacon.

Better to do it before the sun goes down then wait till dark and you are frozen and the search and rescue can't help you.

Apart from all that the guy made some good decisions to that point so I am happy to go with his decision not to. Just not sure that I would have made the same one.

why would you pay for an elt or plb oh I forgot just for decorations bullxxxx

for crist sake use it

in the senario that I am reading i would have pulled the pin as the what if factor is in full mode of oh sxxx neil

• Agree 1

Not sure what you want me to stop doing, and I'm almost afraid to ask.....097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif

OK here we go I will try to explain that.

I seem to recall a recent incident involving a C150 that did not end as well as this one,

I thought this was comparing apples with oranges.

Yes. But a C150 is a different class of aircraft. We should compare apples to apples.

Here you tell me not to compare apples with oranges after that is exactly what I thought you did, this is what I thought you maybe should stop doing.

Since the RH leg is off and the windscreen cracked extensively we can assume there was a fair bit of force involved. Since we don't teach low flying or outlandings/ road landings he would have had to learn on the job, so to speak. Nev

Looking at the news video again that looks like a air strip but if it is why is the fence so close?

The airstrip shown in the photo in the news report is jindabine, where he took off form.

• Informative 2

Hello !!!!! We are now living in the 21st century.

Having read this link, it seems that a pilot lost his way on a nav and had to do an out landing that everyone seems to have accepted as " A Can Happen" event, and the resultant search activities, no injuries, and a a banged up aircraft was a good result.

If this happened 20 years ago, then I would have to agree, but it's not 20 years ago.

For those who are trapped in a time warp, who learnt the old way , and believe it's the right way, strap yourselves in, and try to comprehend this mind blowing change in relation to obtaining a cross country endorsement.

The first lesson is wholly and solely devoted to operating a GPS, and the flight planning and flights are delayed until the student is as conversant with the GPS as he/she is with their mobile phone.

On dual nav's as a part of the flight, the student is asked to operate the GPS and select an alternate landing site as a part of the training.

Then on solo's, the GPS is activated and sealed inside a Bag/Wallet. If everything goes to plan, the pilot returns with the seal intact and it's a PASS. The instructor then has the opportunity to view the GPS to see if the student was on target or any other area that requires attention.

If the vaiarants (Such as with this incident) come into play, then at the time of the realisation, the student has the option to firstly work things out in a cool calm manner and rectify the situation, or if that fails, break the seal on the Bag/Wallet and retrieve the GPS, and select Way Points, Go to, and instantly gets a heading, distance, ETA etc immediately.

What's the cost ??? , A x in the box and marked as a Fail, but everyone and everything is intact.

Then once back on the ground, there is a recorded history of what and where it all went wrong, and why the first attempt to remedy the situation didn't work.

All this safety and assurance is available now for around $100, compare that figure to this incident.

You don't have to look far to see if this sort of things work. In yacht racing, Do they make them take their motors out? No, they simply disable the starting system with a seal that is installed before the race and inspected after the race, and if the need for a motor eventuates during the race, the captain uses the motor knowing that their race is over.

It took the disappearance of MH 370 for authorities to recognise that aircraft tracking ability has not kept up with technolgy, where the motors of the aircraft that send messages to the manufacturer about their operations, could NOW easily have include the GPS data that would have identified it's whereabouts.

And just remember that man went to the moon before he installed wheels on luggage bags !!!!!!

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2

One of the reports indicates this was the pilot's fourth EVER solo.

The most likely possibilities are that he just got lost and then had difficulty with the weather, or that the weather moved in on him and forced him towards Khancoban.

I agree with Facthunter that the aircraft has taken a substantial hit against the fence, but if it was just after touch down, you would expect it to be a high speed hit. Type of undercarriage is irrelevant to this one.

Roads look enticing for all of us as an escape route, but it's an interesting excercise to go out to your strip and pace out the width of the landing pavement and any adjoining hard runoff sections each side of it, and do the same with a road. They aren't as wide as they seem with a little crosswind.

• Agree 4

I find it strange that in this day and age the use of GPS is still not considered a primary part of learning to fly. I wonder how many decades it took for the altimeter to be accepted as a primary source....

• Agree 2

Nev.

Of course not, It would involve change !!!

To the student, the GPS is White Mans Magic, and to prove yourself you must do things the old way.

Then you are sent on your way in a sacrifice to the gods. If you have been good, then you will be returned safely to your place of departure, but if you have been bad or didn't eat your beans as a child, then the gods will act and cause you grief.

The thing that does amaze me is that you can use a calculator to do the calculations, to keep it in true perspective, I thought they may insist on a abacus, but then again, the wizz wheel is pretty close to that !!!!

Will things change ?????

Do a snap shot in time, and compare 1950 to today.

In the 1950's Holden produced the FJ, and aicraft like the Auster's were flying around

Pop the hood of an FJ Holden and compare the engine to one of cars of today, Then look in the cowl of an Auster and look into the cowl of current lycoming or continental.

Which industry appears to be stuck in the time warp?

• Agree 3

The thing that does amaze me is that you can use a calculator to do the calculations, to keep it in true perspective, I thought they may insist on a abacus, but then again, the wizz wheel is pretty close to that !!!!

Following your logic, a slide rule would be a better choice than an abacus.

• Caution 1

Not only did he get the plane down for an emergency landing with only 4 hours solo he was able to walk to a farm house to advise authorities he was ok.

I for one would have required a change of pants before attempting to walk anywhere let alone to someone's house well done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1