Wedderburn NSW Aircraft accident

Very sad. From the photos, that strip seems to be surrounded by dense bushland.

It is, and the requirement to avoid flying over the township for noise abatement can cause some fairly high and tight circuits from what I've heard. Not saying that was a factor here, just to add to your comment.

Guest ozzie
Very sad. From the photos, that strip seems to be surrounded by dense bushland.

Pretty much no outs there.

It's a bugger of a strip. Basically North-South, so no matter from which direction the wind blow, you'll have a cross wind. It has been cut out of real tiger country and as you can see from the aerial view, there's no place to go but into the trees if you have an EFOT (not that I know if this was the case here). Those tree have captured a few airplanes in he past.

And when I hear the reported saying that it was a Cessna, I nearly threw my slipper at the TV. Bloody reporters! They almost make me believe that Bronwyn Bishop pays for her travel out of her own pocket.

OME

• Agree 1

Circuits can be a challenge since there are some neighbours who complain a lot. Usually have to slip it in. I'm pulling power earlier in the circuit to get in these days. The J230 doesn't want to land some times. Turning base you really have to make sure you are coordinated.

As someone else said, not hard to get a cross wind and with all the trees and hangers, fun times.

The runway is a kilometre long, Dr Anderson said.

"It's definitely an adequate runway ... probably the best north-south runway outside of Mascot [airport]," he said.

huh?? What about Wollongong, also N-S and its 1800m... and doesn't have massive trees all around the approach.

• Like 1

Thanks Jake, very sad indeed. The CASA register records the aircraft as a SH-2Ft which I assumed to be a Glasair 2.

Some areas of Casa have been utterly incompetent IMO, a list of all of this type was given to them, with serial & model numbers, many years ago. Then we (aircraft owners) had forms that we had to fill in to 'bring records up to date'. Nothing significant changed, some Glasair III's were even listed as PA-32 (actually Piper designation) & there are errors in the Registrations data everywhere.

• Agree 1

Some areas of Casa have been utterly incompetent IMO, a list of all of this type was given to them, with serial & model numbers, many years ago. Then we (aircraft owners) had forms that we had to fill in to 'bring records up to date'. Nothing significant changed, some Glasair III's were even listed as PA-32 (actually Piper designation) & there are errors in the Registrations data everywhere.

And it's CASA auditing and telling RAA to get it's act together....rather hypocrytical then.....

• Agree 3