Oshkosh

Keith Page

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear that the RAAus Tech. and Opp managers are at Oshkosh with all the bells and whistles.Regards,

KP.

That sounds expensive, although I'm sure they will learn a lot from the experience

• Caution 1

I hope we're not paying their way.

I cannot see ANY reason for the Ops Manager to be there unless on a "private" visit. Tech manager on RAAus bus maybe.....

Since the USA is an almost non-existent supplier of fully-manufactured aircraft into the RAA market, I think it might have been more useful for the Tech Manager to go to one of the major European shows and had the opportunity to really get familiar with what is coming out of there.

I personally support the idea that RAA should get exposure to the experience of other, and successful, spheres of RAA-class aircraft standards, manufacturing and operations - we would as a community be better served if RAA can assimilate and be able to present cogent arguments to CASA for changes to the regulations that bind us, where there is good evidence that changes to a different regime have palpably worked.

I have very considerable confidence that Darren and Jill will extract the maximum value to RAA they can get from their visit to Oshkosh. I would hope that they have gone with a definite agenda/prescription to research issues that can be translated back to the Australian situation. However, anybody who underestimates how much plain hard yakka it can be to meet and extract information from people caught up in a major international 'expo' of this nature - hasn't been to one.

Rather than be cynical, why don't we wait and see what results?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1
  • Caution 1

Replica of the first Pitts Special, the Little Stinker, is right out front of the aerobatic club HQ. Empty weight less than 260 kg. Next to it is the last in the series, a Model 12.

why? they need to learn how the big boys work.

You can get all the learnings on the Internet, just like we get the magazine. Hence no need to fly to Oshkosh.

Regards,

KP.

• Agree 3
  • Caution 1

Keith if the people in charge relied solely on the Internet for information I would be very very worried.

Personally I think that going to one of the worlds leading aviation events COULD be a good thing. As long as they aren't just there to take pics for the family photo album of course but I think that they certainly have our interests at heart and would be putting in an effort to learn a lot especially if the effort that Darren puts in while he is here is anything to go by.

• Agree 3
  • Haha 1

Also, don't underestimate the value of making 'networking' contacts with key people in places like the EAA, and even the FAA Small Aircraft Directorate. If Darren can, for instance, get a decent handle on how repairs and modifications are done in the USA, MARAP might be further refined.

• Agree 3

I think there is a 3rd over here, but not sure if it is Katie, as I haven't bumped into any of them yet.

The forums are good and the action is great, so much to see .... Was awful this morning as we saw the crash from a distance just as we were waiting for the internal bus. Huge fire ball. So glad to hear that everyone got out although one is still critical, I hear. Seeing it, even from a distance was terrible.

• Helpful 1

I am here, weather perfect and and immersed in the usual Oshkosh comraderie. Far too much to see and do in one week, best to concentrate on the things that particularly interest you.

Lots of Aussies about and all seem happy!

This is Aviation heaven, has to be experienced.

• Agree 4