Handgun-firing drone

Back in sixties I saw a pistol on the dash of a unlocked light aircraft at a function attended by the general public I was able reach into the cockpit and handle it. In the seventies I bought a 22 rifle from a toy shop.

• Like 1

Guest ozzie
I remember reading you can't do it. The fun police again. I have trouble hitting something on the ground let alone from the air.

Pig shooters used to use a Bell 47 that my Boss owned . Spent a bit of time patching the holes in the skid.

Yatchies are still allowed firearms when heading to a more unfriendly shore than here, BUT Trouble awaits them on their return!.spacesailor

Had a friend spend years around asia doing shipwreck dives/salvage.

They had a full arsenal on board the ship to deter pirates.

Captain forgot to declare them on arrival Singapore. All spent several months in clink waiting for it to be sorted.

A complete balls up.

Yachties sailing around in international waters can have what they want, super yachts have their own arsenals on board because of piracy. The thing is, different countries have different laws when inside their waters like here in Australia.

• 4 months later...
Pistos can only be used at pistol clubs in Australia and machine guns are not allowed.

Only if you are Law abiding. And why do we call Criminals criminals oh yeah that's right they don't care about what the law says.

Only if you are Law abiding. And why do we call Criminals criminals oh yeah that's right they don't care about what the law says.

When I wrote that (a long time ago) it was in regard to another post someone had done. We all know criminals have illegal guns but do you really think we are under threat from drones carrying them any time soon?

When I wrote that (a long time ago) it was in regard to another post someone had done. We all know criminals have illegal guns but do you really think we are under threat from drones carrying them any time soon?

There a lot of nutters out there and whilst I'm not paranoid about it ya just never can tell

There a lot of nutters out there and whilst I'm not paranoid about it ya just never can tell

I think if the nutters have handguns we've got more to worry about than whether they have the skill and patience to mount them to drones...

• Agree 1

Any drone big enough to carry a hand gun would be expensive and quite inaccurate, you would be far more likely to be hit by someone holding the gun in their hand. I think this a load of paranoid crap.

I think if the nutters have handguns we've got more to worry about than whether they have the skill and patience to mount them to drones...

As they say there is a fine line between genius and insanity and history shows us that there's a lot of very clever nutters out there. Some of them clever enough to try not to get caught. The reason a nutter might very well chose a drone is the same reason people leave bombs in back packs in the street at marathon runs.

Any drone big enough to carry a hand gun would be expensive and quite inaccurate, you would be far more likely to be hit by someone holding the gun in their hand. I think this a load of paranoid crap.

You obviously didn't watch the video at the top of this page or perhaps you think that the video was doctored in some way. And with an I-Pad you can see exactly what the onboard video sees.

You obviously didn't watch the video at the top of this page or perhaps you think that the video was doctored in some way. And with an I-Pad you can see exactly what the onboard video sees.

Just watched it again. I don't know how real that video is like most things on the internet you cannot be sure. One thing I am sure about if it is real then it would be real expensive. I think you can feel safe from them at this stage.

I think the potential is there, a fully loaded polymer pistol is well under a kg and I think the bigger machines wouldn't have any hassles lifting one for a fair amount of time.

A neighbour of mine was telling me all about his latest toy, with a few options he has no trouble flying a few ks and back with fpv he can sit in his office and check his irrigation without leaving his seat. Put a kilo under it and it would eat into flying time but I am sure it wouldn't be an insurmountable problem.

Having said that I would be more concerned that they would mount an explosive to one. No need to aim it and a lot more potential for damage, not a nice thing to think of.

The same nutters who can add a gun to a drone will be the nutter who can make a 3d printed gun as well and make it really light weight.

I think anyone who thinks these things are too expensive, too hard to get or can't be put on a drone because they are too heavy etc needs to go for a walk down to jaycar, dick smith or any number of hobby shops. I'm sort of interested in buying a drone but don't rally have a good reason for one yet. But I've been looking at what I can get.

I can walk out of my office and into a number of shops within ten minutes drive where I can buy for less than a$1000 a drone capable of lifting a kilo or more and some for a bit more $ that have complete autonomous GPS navigation, on-board video feed to the pilot's ipad and despite the rules saying line of sight only are actually quite capable of flying several kilometres out of line of sight.

Sorry to disillusion you guys who said it's not going to happen - but it's already fully capable of happening it just needs the first jerk to do it. And there are plenty of them in our society. Just a matter of time.

• Agree 2